Info What I do with my keys when I shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I place the fob in a waterproof container and keep it in my drysuit. This allows me to still lock and unlock the car using the touch sensors.

When I wanted to get a ’garage’ key cut none of the businesses would do it. They were worried about being sued if a cheap metal key broke in the ‘emergency’ lock.

At home the car keys are stored in a RFID shielded container. At least one car has been taken in my local area by thieves with single boosters.

I have used a couple of methods over the years. For metal keys i either hide the key under the car in a magnetic box or inside a combination lock box connected to a tow eye etc.

For the electronic fobs, which are usually too big, i put them in a ziplock bag and hide them under a rock etc. somewhere in the general vicinity of the car. I havent had one with a proximity sensor but if you do, you have to make sure you leave it further away, of course.

As long as no one sees you hide it, it's at least as safe as taking it with you in the water IMO.

I only dive in a drysuit, I simply put the key in a condom then in my undercut pocket.

At home the car keys are stored in a RFID shielded container. At least one car has been taken in my local area by thieves with single boosters.

The RFID sleeves I bought came as a set of two with a counter top box for storing the keys at home. While I doubt that my Generic Compact SUV 2.0 will be targeted by thieves, better safe than sorry.

I wonder why nobody but Ford offers the keypad on the door? I leave my electronic key in the door pocket and lock/unlock with the key code. Super easy and none of this risky hiding under a rock or complicated double key/RFID/condom silliness. :poke:

And, the touch panel works with my dry gloves on.

Well, in N Florida, we just go to a junkyard, find a rusted, bondo filled,faded,cracked windshield,beater of a car that smokes like a mosquito control truck, with old beach towels covering the holes in the seats, thumbtacks holding up the headliner, dented fenders and bumpers, and a pair of fake bull testicles hanging from the trailer hitch. They will steal the bull testicles but leave the car, unless of course, its better than theirs.

Well, in N Florida, we just go to a junkyard, find a rusted, bondo filled,faded,cracked windshield,beater of a car that smokes like a mosquito control truck, with old beach towels covering the holes in the seats, thumbtacks holding up the headliner, dented fenders and bumpers, and a pair of fake bull testicles hanging from the trailer hitch. They will steal the bull testicles but leave the car, unless of course, its better than theirs.

Probably would still get stolen at Ginnie.

Hmmm... Not sure I have ever had any of the problems described here. I shore dive with a Prius or a Volvo SUV. Maybe it's manufacturer specific.

I put the non-electronic (valet) key on a boater's floating keychain, I put the electronic key (along with my wallet and phone) in the glove compartment, then I lock the door with the valet key.

I usually dive wet for shore diving, so I just put the key in my bathing suit pocket and put on the wetsuit - no way it's getting lost. I would probably do the same with a dry suit (underwear pocket), although I guess you could put it in an external pocket and secure it with a bolt snap. One advantage of that would be that if you forgot something, you wouldn't have to take off your suit to retrieve it. But I prefer to know that it's impossible to lose...

I have used a couple of methods over the years. For metal keys i either hide the key under the car in a magnetic box or inside a combination lock box connected to a tow eye etc.

For the electronic fobs, which are usually too big, i put them in a ziplock bag and hide them under a rock etc. somewhere in the general vicinity of the car. I havent had one with a proximity sensor but if you do, you have to make sure you leave it further away, of course.

As long as no one sees you hide it, it's at least as safe as taking it with you in the water IMO.
Yes, I have done both of these things. Not too worried about being seen hiding key under a rock here in Nova Scotia. Must be more careful in the NYC area-- lots more people around.

I leave a towel sticking out through closed door, so when I walk up to car, i dry off saltwater on the key before sticking it into the lock. Hoping to prevent corrosion that way.
Good plan. Even works if it is raining. I bet I could leave a part water bottle out to rinse salt off as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom