Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir, I have logged over 1100 dives in about 8 yrs. & even more in the pool,... teaching,... I think I can say I do not qualify one of your "internet divers". Diving with family member who do not know what they are doing nor the inherent risks, yes, can be dangerous.

Yeah that's why you teach and supervise them. No way I would just give a kid to an instructor without making sure he was comfortable and learned some skills first. Instructors aren't magical beings.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Although your specifics may be correct, I suspect that the grandpa wasn't even listening to the specifics. I will guess what he heard was
1. You are an endangerment to your grandkids. You are a bad person.
A conversation that follows same logic as you are a bad parent if you let your kids walk to school with out a parent at their side. Or you are a bad parent if you let a kid learn ride a bike with out training wheels. He is probably just as sick of hearing crap from good doers ,,,, as the kids are tired of hearing how he went 5 miles to school barefoot in the winter up hill both ways.

That may be all that he heard, even though that is not what was said & not how it was presented,.. but then people have a habit of hearing only what they want to. I only said to him that it was not a good idea & went into a brief description of why it was not a good idea,.... try to educate him.

I think that probably what could have been done that might have been a compromise is to offer the shop pool with an instructor and provide up to date equipment to do the discover dive with. Make it very economical. The shop probably could do it for 50$ (cheaper than the reg servicing and everyone would come out happy. Make a happy potential customer.

Easier said than done, as the oldest is still 2 yrs under age for a try scuba session, by standards. The youngest is 5 yrs under.

I think most of us can look at the way we all grew up and then look at todays society and say. My folks would be in jail today if........
Too many busy bodies today. The idea of , it takes a village is ok on the surface, its not till you wake up one day and find the village has destroyed the single family dwellings that housed the builders of the town that became village ized.

As I originally posted, he was absolutely correct that he can do what he wants outside of the shop, but it was decided that we would not facilitate that, on our part, as it could expose the business to undue risk, if something should happen, with the fact he revealed to us what he planned to do. If he had said nothing,... then without knowing,... we would have accommodated him.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2015 at 08:25 PM ----------

Yeah that's why you teach and supervise them. No way I would just give a kid to an instructor without making sure he was comfortable and learned some skills first. Instructors aren't magical beings.

Yet you would let just an average OW diver teach? No of course we're not magical,... but with a tad bit more knowledge & skills, perhaps, than the typical open water diver. A good instructor will also know what may go wrong & how to counter it before it becomes uncontrollable.

Imagine if your kid died with an instructor then your wife asks why you didn't teach him basic skills first in your backyard pool. People would be calling you a fool. But didn't want a bunch of Internet divers to call you dangerous.

I think the guy might have been a little over his head based on the OPs description of the situation as such I understand their decision not to allow him to rent a tank. No one is required to facilitate other peoples stupidity. That said, I began diving in a pool in France at 8, with little supervision and was certified by 12 with two different agencies. Went through a legitimate course that was several nights a week, several hours a each time we met, over 3 months, multiple dives, and our open water dives were in a cold dark lake with little vis....it is what it is. Hell, by 13 I was diving to 130 feet, just as safe as everyone else was at that time as well, I could do everything my older dive partners could, many things better. Younger kids can be certified just fine and they can dive without being certified just fine as well. Christ, all this be certified or you'll die crap is a result of our litigious world, not an inability to use our brains, read a book and figure it out.

Reactions: BRT
No of course we're not magical,... but with a tad bit more knowledge & skills, perhaps, than the typical open water diver. A good instructor will also know what may go wrong & how to counter it before it becomes uncontrollable.

Yes, because the average OW diver doesn't understand that holding one's breath can cause a lung expansion problem even at pool depths. No, wait, that's the first thing every damn diver learns.

You and your shop should do whatever makes you happy, and gramps sounds like more of a hazard than most people; but coming on here and wailing about how dangerous a trained diver + kid + pool is merely makes you look like a fool.

Christ, all this be certified or you'll die crap is a result of our litigious world, not an inability to use our brains, read a book and figure it out.

Didn't that guy who killed himself and his son at Eagles Nest use very similar rhetoric in posts here?
Yes. Cave diving in Eagles is very different from taking the kids in the backyard pool, but the principle is the same. Grandpa doesn't know what he doesn't know. The OP doesn't even know what he does know. So even if you take out her calculation of getting sued, she still did the morally correct thing. Whether grandpa is doing the morally correct thing we will never know because he's not here to justify himself. I pray for his sake he doesn't find himself in one of those very rare set of circumstances that would result in the injury or death of any of his grandkids.

No, wait, that's the first thing every damn diver learns.

The question is not what they learn. It is what they remember with infrequent practice and diving. We all have examples of divers who have forgotten a lot of the basics including this one.

A diver who was once trained is not necessarily a trained diver today.

Also some things only require a book. Somethings more than that. I read all of my dad's old flight manuals and training materials when I was a kid and understood them. Doubt if I climbed into a P-47 thunderboldt and tried to fly it I would last long.

I have been looking and cannot find a single case of this happening. So that proves is not that dangerous.

Seriously??

Wow.

An instructor who was once trained is not necessarily a trained instructor today.

Oh look, I can expound a broadly correct and entirely useless statement too. We're not talking about flying an aircraft (though I suspect you'd last just fine unless you tried to land or lost engine power) here, we're talking about a SCUBA environment where the only information that needs to be conveyed is 'Alright Junior, breathe in and out just like normal...but don't hold your breath because physics. Ok? Ok." The kid is in more danger from the pool drain's suction than the SCUBA use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom