Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the kids would fit in the bcd and tank.... So he was probably intending on doing what i do. Assemble the gear, inflate the bcd, throw it in the pool..... Kids swim on surface with a mask on having a blast "scuba diving", dragging the unit around until you pry the reg out of thier mouth because they are turning blue or run out of air.

I have been googling all morning and couldn't find a single case.

I hope you understand that (1) not everything that exists can be found via Google, (2) that effective search strategies using Booleans are pretty much unknown to most searchers, and (3) even if found, it cannot always be seen/read.

So my statement to the effect that parents (generally, i.e., with obvious exceptions) have the prerogative to choose their children's activities on their own property is unreasonable?

there are exceptions that are not obvious and this discussion is about whether or not a non-instructor parent teaching a kid to dive in a swimming pool is one of them. Since your generalization circumvents the discussion, it is not reasonable.

I hope you understand that (1) not everything that exists can be found via Google, (2) that effective search strategies using Booleans are pretty much unknown to most searchers, and (3) even if found, it cannot always be seen/read.

Why don't you help him out by coming up with half a dozen OC deaths of uncertified divers in family pools. That would show him!

As a business owner I would have made the same decision, but I still got my son on compressed air long before I was certified. Could have ended badly. Course I suppose all the guns and ATV's and tractor driving and hiking with the rattlesnakes and bears and cougars could have ended badly too. Turned out to be a pretty smart kid who can think for himself and make good decisions.

there are exceptions that are not obvious and this discussion is about whether or not a non-instructor parent teaching a kid to dive in a swimming pool is one of them. Since your generalization circumvents the discussion, it is not reasonable.

Not even a parent,... Grandparent. Not even his own kids, but his kid's kids.

Not even a parent,... Grandparent. Not even his own kids, but his kid's kids.

Maybe he feels bad that he didn't teach his kids to dive, so he wants to start his grand kids early.

Yes, I'm reaching, and just being contrary. I think your and my points are well made.

Then you quoted that one line of mine out of the context of the rest of my post, which was very much focused on the grandparent taking the kid on scuba in the backyard pool. Read in the context of the entire post, and with obvious exceptions to the generalization omitted for brevity, I think it was more than reasonable to point out that a person can do what they want in their own backyard.

I have been googling all morning and couldn't find a single case. Thanks ill look it up

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Odd. You can find several cases of people dying on scuba in a pool in less than five seconds by googling "scuba pool death"

Odd. You can find several cases of people dying on scuba in a pool in less than five seconds by googling "scuba pool death"

Actually the results are - About 550,000 results (0.43 seconds) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom