Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying you would have been OK with renting a tank to a parent??? Then what is your point?

Not really. Point is still the same,.. biggest difference is the grandparent is not likely the guardian of the children. Morally is it right, in my opinion? No. There are many "what if's".

Odd. You can find several cases of people dying on scuba in a pool in less than five seconds by googling "scuba pool death"

Yes but not kids diving with family members. You guys are saying kids diving with a family member is too dangerous. I'm done with you Internet divers. You guys need to dive more and post less.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Perhaps he is tired of everyone telling him what he cant do. I think I would have to have the same sentiments as the guy has. Being a shop owner, from his perspective, he knows you are speeking either 1. as an insurance co's mouthpiece, 2. as a business man leading into selling a course or two. Just how many people nag at him for destroying the ozone with his 2 stroke weed eater. This may be a situation like the one of----- why is there so many courses to take. Personally I think my original class in the 60's is equal to todays master diver card. only its 10+ times more expensive and now what 7 courses long. His kids may be fish in water. I would look at the bright side of things,,, as least he was going in a home pool and not in less forgiving open water. If society was not so suit happy this would not be a problem.

Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Does this mean that it is, in your dive shop opinion, OK for a professional to take the same aged children diving? If yes, please justify.

Bob

Although your specifics may be correct, I suspect that the grandpa wasn't even listening to the specifics. I will guess what he heard was
1. You are an endangerment to your grandkids. You are a bad person.
A conversation that follows same logic as you are a bad parent if you let your kids walk to school with out a parent at their side. Or you are a bad parent if you let a kid learn ride a bike with out training wheels. He is probably just as sick of hearing crap from good doers ,,,, as the kids are tired of hearing how he went 5 miles to school barefoot in the winter up hill both ways.

I think that probably what could have been done that might have been a compromise is to offer the shop pool with an instructor and provide up to date equipment to do the discover dive with. Make it very economical. The shop probably could do it for 50$ (cheaper than the reg servicing and everyone would come out happy. Make a happy potential customer.

I think most of us can look at the way we all grew up and then look at todays society and say. My folks would be in jail today if........
Too many busy bodies today. The idea of , it takes a village is ok on the surface, its not till you wake up one day and find the village has destroyed the single family dwellings that housed the builders of the town that became village ized.

Whether it's boating under the influence or putting your kids on scuba in a pool, I think the world has moved on--for the better.

I doubt the kids would fit in the bcd and tank.... So he was probably intending on doing what i do. Assemble the gear, inflate the bcd, throw it in the pool..... Kids swim on surface with a mask on having a blast "scuba diving", dragging the unit around until you pry the reg out of thier mouth because they are turning blue or run out of air.

This is basically what I was thinking. If I ever introduce a child into diving, I'm going to don my gear, take them out to the deep water, drag them down under the surface, then jam a regulator in their mouth and say "See how much better it is with scuba gear?" Kidding of course. I'd probably be in water I can stand in, the kid has a mask, life preserver on, and just sticks their face in the water while breathing from the regulator. Make it something new and fun, something they'd like to try more in the future. The key is make it fun, make a game out of it somehow. I don't think there is much of a risk of DCI if the top of their heads is out of water. If they liked it, then I'd look into some of the kiddie programs that SSI/PADI/etc. offer when they are old and mature enough.

The outcome probably did not change. He probably went to another shop and showed his card and rented a tank with no discussion. I remember a discussion long ago dealing with an adult wanting to teach his kid to dive. The shop felt obligated not only refuse to fill the tank but to call the other shops in the area to pass on a beware notice of his intent to teach his kids to dive ,,,, again in a home pool.

I think we agree on something here. If he had not said anything,... then because of our ignorance of his intentions, we would have likely sold/ rented him what he wanted. If the child had died & we found out,... I would think anyone with any sense of conscience would feel badly. Being that at that point we had no way of knowing, there is some "relief",... Knowing what he planned & having it happen,... would be very tough to know it could have been prevented.

Yes but not kids diving with family members. You guys are saying kids diving with a family member is too dangerous. I'm done with you Internet divers. You guys need to dive more and post less.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sir, I have logged over 1100 dives in about 8 yrs. & even more in the pool,... teaching,... I think I can say I do not qualify one of your "internet divers". Diving with family member who do not know what they are doing nor the inherent risks, yes, can be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom