Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado, you have my vote as winner of the Worst of Cozumel!

Well back on track.... Everything we read and heard was the diving was fabulous. In retrospect it was probably our fault but when we went it was so bad we did only one dive. After we found our boat ( 1 hour of searching marina) we finally left the dock.....45 min out we had to go back- they forgot the divd master! No lie....we should have gotten off then but two d our group prepaid their dives. They never ask for our C cards. Boat trip took 3.5 hours just to get to the dive site....we saw people walking faster than that boat went. They argued with one person in our group as to how much weight he needed and finally talked him into less weight. When he could not submerge he went back up when he went back down current was so strong he got lost from the group. When we got back aboard dive master said it happened all the time and tgankfully he got picked up by another boat. Vis about 40 feet...current so strong it was like a roller coaster ride.Very little life. Total trip lastes from 9am to 5pm for a two tank dive. We do not know if we will ever go back. Bill

Bill, while I can thoroughly understand your frustration and resulting distaste, I urge you not to paint all of Cozumel diving with the ugly brush you were given by this dive op.

I have done a lot of diving here, and I have never had misadventure comparable to yours. Competition is strong here, and the great majority of dive ops are not at all like the one you used. I am amazed that it is still in business!
How the heck do you leave without your dive master?!?

I hope that you might do some research on the ScubaBoard Cozumel forum and find an op that would suit your style and expectations. Otherwise, you will miss some amazing diving!

Wow El Graduado that is really horrible. Glad that you are not allergic to bees!

Unfortunately, your post reminded me of MY WORST Cozumel experience.
I purchased a time share at El Cid so that my son and I would dive together each year. As a single mom all inclusive for a tall growing teenager gave me a nice break from the demands of the kitchen. Also,he was beginning to out ski me and diving doesn't matter age or gender. On our second day we had a great dive but a couple hours after returning my son began to have tingling and stomach pain and then some neurological symptoms. I called DAN and they immediately sent an ambulance. I was a bit confused because we had dove a conservative profile. When my son was about to go for a ride in the chamber he was lucid enough from his previously semi comatose state to say "Mom this feels like an allergic reaction" . My son is deathly allergic to MANGO! Yep, mango has the same chemical as poison ivy! My son speaks Spanish, wore an allergic bracelet provided by El Cid and is responsible/paranoid enough to say "without mango" before he ordered anything.....The Dr. called El Cid and the bartender said "oops I forgot" by then my son was in severe analyphalatic shock. The pumped him full of benydryl and he stayed there for several hours. He was unable to much of anything the rest of the week...much less dive. Now he will not return to El Cid. (no this has not happened anywhere else in the world) so now I am stuck with a timeshare that has horrible memories. Sometimes I am able to sell the week (at a huge loss) and sometimes I go alone.

The name of the operation was Deep Life Divers

Wow, those guys are my favorite dive shop!!!

(actually never heard of them)

Forgetting the dive master is so bad it's actually comical.

Deep Life is not even a dive shop in Cozumel - there is the first problem :) Stick witht he local companies - we have a little experience around our own backyard and kinda know what we're doing :)

According to their website My Deep Life Cancun | My Deep Life Cancun they are a full service dive shop, based out of Cancun, with a "contact" (his father, according to this: Meet the Team | My Deep Life Cancun ) in Cozumel back on 85th. Also, according to their website, they were a 2014 Certificate of Excellence winner on Trip Advisor....

Yea, I was thinking more like they bundle trips in Coz. That they have no Coz infrastructure so to speak, which you seem to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom