Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a card number lifted once that I thought might have been Coz. Since then use it constantly at restaurants and no problemo. On the other hand handled a case where a restaurant in NC compromised hundreds and hundreds of cards.

Had a card 'lifted' at one of the high tourist traffic restaurants in Coz a few years back, but have also had cards compromised in the states when they didn't even have access to the card, so it's a crap-shoot no matter where you are! In general, we've always just found it easier to use cash in Coz (except for our Dive Op.)

On one of my trip, I rented a Jeep and drove to east side for the first time. I thought Jeep is a 4x4 so it should have no problem driving on beach. So I purposely drove it off road when I saw an opening to beach.

Needless to say, the Jeep did not go very far before it was stuck on sand. About half hour later, two locals on motorcycle passed by and saw me stranded helplessly. So they stopped and helped me to get the Jeep back on to road with whatever they can find on beach.

After thanking both locals and tipped them for their assistance, I stepped back to driver's seat, and noticed there is a little sticker on the corner of windshield. It reads "This vehicle is not a 4x4. Please don't take it off road".

So I purposely drove it off road when I saw an opening to beach... and noticed there is a little sticker on the corner of windshield. It reads "This vehicle is not a 4x4. Please don't take it off road".

You were lucky nothing worse happened, because there is also a little notice in all the vehicle rental contracts in Cozumel that says your insurance is only valid on paved roads. Driving on a dirt road (or beach!) invalidates the insurance and any breakdown or accident that happens off of the paved roads is wholly your responsibility. And to make it worse, in Mexico, you can go to jail until the damages are paid.

Many people are also unaware that if you have an accident in a vehicle in Mexico, ANY amount of blood alcohol voids your insurance. There is no "legal limit;" any detectible amount will put you in the clink if you are involved in an accident here.

You were lucky nothing worse happened, because there is also a little notice in all the vehicle rental contracts in Cozumel that says your insurance is only valid on paved roads. Driving on a dirt road (or beach!) invalidates the insurance and any breakdown or accident that happens off of the paved roads is wholly your responsibility. And to make it worse, in Mexico, you can go to jail until the damages are paid.

Next time I want to riding on beach, I will get a horse.

It's closed. Been made into condos. Supposed to open their new location in the fall.

Wait, what? Seriously? We loved going there for breakfast, mostly because you can't mess up breakfast anywhere and the view was incredible. Say it ain't so!

Wait, what? Seriously? We loved going there for breakfast, mostly because you can't mess up breakfast anywhere and the view was incredible. Say it ain't so!

Tell me about it. I really like going there for Independence day.

I had way better breakfasts in the Loncheria in Akumal.

As for ditching cars in sand I did a doozy in Grand Turk last year. I didn't even have a 4X4 so what was I thinKiNg...???..
The trick is to STOP when you get stuck. It's not like snow, going back and forward only digs you deeper, until the bottom of the car is level with the sand. Oooops.

Were we in the north of the island in the middle of nowhere so I decided it was time to go get help. I got lucky and I spotted a car within a few minutes of walking and they drove over in a little car. He needed to get his family back home and he'll be back soon. Soon in island time that is.

In the meantime we decide to dig the sand out from under the car so it will be easier to tow out. After half an hour or more we've dug quite a bit of sand out. Hmmm.... we get some rocks and wood and place them behind the tires and YAY!!! I moved backward a foot!!! I keep moving a few feet at a time, replacing the wood and rocks and we get out!!! On the way out on the road our help arrives in a blinged out SUV. We thank him and we find he owns the dune buggy tours that cater to the pod people. So we feel sort of obligated to try it out but we don't and it's small island so avoiding the guy led to a few wrong turns.....

The whole point was beach-coming. There was nada, nothing, zilch. Oh well, live and learn.

I am not a big shopper by any means. However, when traveling it is fun to seek out items for my house(i.e. glass mosaic fish, silver vase, painted plates etc.) so most of the decorations are from destinations all over the world. However Cozumel is paradise for my husband partly because I avoid shopping like the plague. The hawkers, haggling, pushy salesman make it more aggravating than it is worth. I went to Cinco Soles to experience hassle free shopping, only to have employees follow me like a shadow everywhere(especially bad in the jewelry department). I have managed to live out my life without committing any felonies, certainly not to be treated as a criminal.

Fortunately the good far, far outweighs the bad. As for the restaurants, Cozumel offers the best bang for the buck when comparing to other Caribbean destinations..

I have always wondered why they do that. It is extremely annoying and it drives me out when looking for jewelry for my wife.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

I liked it better when it was near the square on 5th.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 09:39 PM ----------

Here is my worst experience on Cozumel, copied out of my diary:

It took a few days before I stopped feely woozy and discombobulated. The bomberos came after that and removed the hive. Later, we cleared the weeds down to dirt and I mapped to site, this time with no interference from killer bees.

Wow! That is horrible! Congratulations on escaping! I have heard of large wasp like insects on the island that can kill a horse with one sting. I am always on the look out for them. Scary....

I have heard of large wasp like insects on the island that can kill a horse with one sting.

I never heard of such an insect as you describe being found on Cozumel. I think you can rest easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom