How many of you have had a dive computer fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not suggesting that this computer is fail proof!!!
Fail proof? Not completely. Everything can fail. I'm suggesting that this computer is practically fail proof, and practically without fault.

BTW, Deco for Divers by Mark Powell cost less than a rec dive.
Own it, read it, liked it. I still dive computers. I also have deco tables for generic square dives as well as often dive custom cut tables and contingencies. Doesn't mean I don't like my computers even more!

It was Predator then it is Petrel couple of yr later. What would you recommend in few yrs time, something starts with a P? While this happening, my Aladin soldier on(hopefully)!
Yeah, it was the Predator several years ago. The Petrel is the lighter, smaller, faster, better version of it. There's nothing wrong with the Predator at all, except that the screen Mfg stopped producing that screen. Shearwater took advantage of that and made it even better! Plenty of people still dive the Predator, and there are tons out there with a decade's worth of heavy tech diving on them. There's a reason that the Predator was the #1 suggested until the Petrel came out, and the Petrel has been #1 since: They're fantastic.

Fail proof? Not completely. Everything can fail. I'm suggesting that this computer is practically fail proof, and practically without fault.

Own it, read it, liked it. I still dive computers. I also have deco tables for generic square dives as well as often dive custom cut tables and contingencies. Doesn't mean I don't like my computers even more!

Yeah, it was the Predator several years ago. The Petrel is the lighter, smaller, faster, better version of it. There's nothing wrong with the Predator at all, except that the screen Mfg stopped producing that screen. Shearwater took advantage of that and made it even better! Plenty of people still dive the Predator, and there are tons out there with a decade's worth of heavy tech diving on them. There's a reason that the Predator was the #1 suggested until the Petrel came out, and the Petrel has been #1 since: They're fantastic.
It will be interesting to see what would happen if X-Deep managed to sort themselves out!!!!
As I had said, two ancient Aladins or two Uwatec BT are good enough for me.

How much is gas on Catalina?

Around $7.50/gallon.

Did dive with the Nitek Trio yesterday and it didn't act up... much

..... and how many miles per gallon does your main means of transport on the island get :) Who makes the Petrel? I have sent my Uatec in to the dive shop for a looking at. I may be in the market for a new computer :(

Last edited:
Had two oceanic veo something's go blank mid dive and a Galileo sol lockup mid dive. All ndl dives and no more then 5 minutes since last seeing good data so no issue.

Had a petrel show good battery at the start of a planned deco rebreather dive only to have it drop down, flash then shutdown with near on 60min of deco. Lost my profile and O2 monitoring, did the ascent on HUD, uwatec BT and wet notes.. That one was user error, put a new but different chemistry battery in but didn't make the change in settings

I had three dead computers in seven years. First and Oceanic Geo, second an UWATEC, and just recently my UEMIS. All of them failed in the middle of a dive. I always take two since the second failure!

I have had a lot of buddies fail me. I have had a number of SPGs fail me. But I've never had a PDC go south during the dive.

I just saw a friend's compter go screwy during a dive (random numbers started appearing as the depth). And yet again (as has happened to me or my buddy several times) it just needed a new battery => 5 dives since battery change and works 100%.

It reminds me pf how a perfectly normal person might go seriously loopy when they are very, VERY tired.

I've been doing tons of diving related reading and have got a question about PDC failure. I know and practice the "one is none, two is one" philosophy in other aspects of life and believe in redundancy and will be doing that more in diving as I delve into it more. I hear everyone saying/asking, what if your PDC failed? So my question is how many of you have had a dive comp failure while diving? I don't consider a dead battery or flooding due to an improperly reinstalled o-ring a failure for my purposes, just a genuine, non user induced equipment failure. Especially of tech computers.

ETA

If you have had a failure and don't mind, please elaborate.
If you haven't had one would you like DM Tom did say how long you've been using your comp and maybe the model, if you don't mind?

I'm not tech at all....yet. But just had my first computer fail this summer. Suunto Cobra began to self dive once it was hot and you either turned it on for the first time or again just before you hit the water. Wouldn't clear unless you took the battery out. It would work fine as long as it was out of the sun i.e. inside, or just out of the reg bag. That particular computer had 469 dives on it, not sure on total dive time though. I still dive with a Cobra but now also have a Suunto Mosquito wrist mount for back up as well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom