Your opinions, who makes the best wing for backplate or "Soft BC"?

Who makes the best Wing for a single tank backplate or "Soft BC"?

• Dive Rite

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Halcyon

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • There are other better wings out there, I will specify on this thread

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the Dive-Rite and OMS wings. Tha Halcyon wings don't have an inner bladder. My halcyon wing has 2 holes in it (less than a year old it is now retired) while my OMS wing is still in great shape.

Matt

Oxycheq has a great rep. I bought their signature series 30# wing, and I love it-- super durable, super streamlined, and just really well made.

DSS---OXYCHEQ --- HOG EDGE
Your opinion as to which order.
and for which reasons.
PORBEAGLE

Deep Sea Supply...I'm surprised it took so long for even the first mention.

I prefer the Dive-Rite and OMS wings. Tha Halcyon wings don't have an inner bladder. My halcyon wing has 2 holes in it (less than a year old it is now retired) while my OMS wing is still in great shape.

Matt

Halcyon wings, both Eclipse and Evolve, have an inner bladder. The Pioneer hasn't been in production for years.

Oops, sorry. What can I say-I worked all night and just got up.

OxyCheq Mach V for singles!

Nothing finer!

flame retardant suit on

OP, you haven't told us anything about where you are or what kind of diving you do.

The most important thing in a wing is appropriate lift. You want enough, but not too much. Too large a wing will cause it to wrap, or "taco" around the tank, and make venting difficult. Too small is a safety hazard. The average person diving a single tank in warm water will do well with a small (20 lb or so) wing; in cold water, one must compensate for the possible loss of a lot of lift from compressed neoprene or wet drysuit undergarments, and more lift is needed.

Wing shape is largely a personal preference in single tank wings. (In doubles, being able to put the lift where you need to balance the tanks can be more important.)

Halcyon makes good quality wings, but they tend to sit at a higher price point than other brands. My single tank wings are from Deep Sea Supply -- they make a well-designed product at a very reasonable price, and the best thing is that Tobin is very generous with his advice on which of his wings will suit your diving best. He won't sell you something just to get it off the shelf :)

Back
Top Bottom