GUE gear config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do people think of GUE?

I took my GUE Fundamentals part 1 class (theory part) last night, pool session is this weekend, and basically took away all my gear is wrong / not safe / needs to be replaced lol. I'm diving with jacket BC, Atomic SS1 secondary, no octopus - I'm pretty comfortable in the water (~250 dives now), think my buoyancy and trim is decent, and haven't had any issues donating air the one time I had a out of gas buddy. I am trying the rental backplate/wing and long hose for the pool sessions - but it just seems so much clunkier and less streamlined than my current setup with the SS1? I do find my trim is not the best with the frontal weight pockets so am considering buying the backplate/wing if I like it, but I'm just not sold on the long hose. My instructor also said any wing with bungees is really bad because you can't distribute the air yourself, which is relevant when diving side mount / multiple tanks etc.

My reason for signing up for GUE was mostly to get better at the different kicks, I can't do a backward or helicopter kick, and my GUE-obsessed friend insisted that it'll improve my buoyancy and trim massively. But after listening to the theory yesterday it seems a lot of why GUE does things the way they do is to set up you for later tech / cave / wreck diving, which I have no interest in. I get the standardisation point and not having to relearn stuff as you progress, but if I already know I don't like cave / wreck and have no interest in tech, does GUE school of thought still have safety / efficiency benefits for regular recreational scuba?

Oh boy. Pass the popcorn.
Marie, do you have any GUE training? Any time in the water with a GUE team or instructor? Or simply block every post and every comment from everyone you think has ever taken a class or been affiliated w the agency?

My reason for signing up for GUE was mostly to get better at the different kicks, I can't do a backward or helicopter kick, and my GUE-obsessed friend insisted that it'll improve my buoyancy and trim massively. But after listening to the theory yesterday it seems a lot of why GUE does things the way they do is to set up you for later tech / cave / wreck diving, which I have no interest in. I get the standardisation point and not having to relearn stuff as you progress, but if I already know I don't like cave / wreck and have no interest in tech, does GUE school of thought still have safety / efficiency benefits for regular recreational scuba?
I’ve never met somebody that didn’t improve or learn something going through the class, independent of outcome. GUE isn’t for everyone, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t improve the quality of your diving in some fashion.

What do people think of GUE?

I took my GUE Fundamentals part 1 class (theory part) last night, pool session is this weekend, and basically took away all my gear is wrong / not safe / needs to be replaced lol. I'm diving with jacket BC, Atomic SS1 secondary, no octopus - I'm pretty comfortable in the water (~250 dives now), think my buoyancy and trim is decent, and haven't had any issues donating air the one time I had a out of gas buddy. I am trying the rental backplate/wing and long hose for the pool sessions - but it just seems so much clunkier and less streamlined than my current setup with the SS1? I do find my trim is not the best with the frontal weight pockets so am considering buying the backplate/wing if I like it, but I'm just not sold on the long hose. My instructor also said any wing with bungees is really bad because you can't distribute the air yourself, which is relevant when diving side mount / multiple tanks etc.

I can't speak to GUE, but their philosophy on gear is everybody dives identical rig configurations.

Your assumption is correct they are overhead environment focused and that is why they are wanting you to use a long hose.

Being that you have no intentions of overhead diving I think you'll likely gain some skills, but I'm not sure you'll be really getting you money's worth. The class and buying all new gear could buy you a lot of dive trips.

I do think you'll find a back inflate style wing with a harness will help with trim and is more comfortable and streamlined. However, I'm a no go on a long hose for recreational diving and a yes on octo/inflators after understanding how to use them.

The industry standard for "streamlining" in a tech configuration is a bit funny to me. There's nothing streamlined about a bunch of long ass hoses and second stages. 🤷‍♂️ You're not doing single file gas sharing exits from a wreck or cave so the long hose doesn't make sense.

My reason for signing up for GUE was mostly to get better at the different kicks,
That is kinda like going to -- and paying for -- a fancy Chinese restaurant because you like soy sauce,

Maybe you should look for an instructor who will teach you different kicks.

I think that any course that provides you experience and learning is worth while since you are already signed up and your friend is moving down that road. Whether you ultimately pursue a more technical diving or incorporate all, some or none of the gear configurations you will make that decision in the light of knowledge rather than ignorance. The buoyancy and other diving skills alone are worth the effort.

Or you could get AOW and other types of similar non technical instruction and spend the remainder of the money going places to dive and thereby gaining water experience in diverse environments. Sometimes, most times, you do not know what you do not know until you realize that you do not know it, sometimes too late. The school of hard knocks is a good instructor too, just not always very polite.

No, I am not GUE/DIR but I do dive minimalist Hogarthain inspired equipment configurations, mostly that is.

James

That is kinda like going to -- and paying for -- a fancy Chinese restaurant because you like soy sauce,

Maybe you should look for an instructor who will teach you different kicks.
Well it’s not just kicks- it’s about being more stable in the water in general. I like underwater photography and have noticed I rely more on the muck stick to stabilize myself than some others, and cannot back up or maintain position against the current if it’s pushing me towards the subject. So I figured the course will make me a better diver and photographer even if I don’t buy into it fully- I have not committed to fundies part 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom