Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got back into diving after an extended period away, and wanted to get a new BCD. My previous BCD was a Seaquest Balance that I bought in 2001, but I left it in NY. I’m currently living in Taiwan and was considering the above brands as they are the ones available locally (with the exception of DGX, which I first heard of here). Obviously there are a wide range of prices here, I’m willing to pay for quality but also don’t want to feel like I’m paying extra just for a brand name if it’s not really worth it. My diving here is warm water, and will travel occasionally (most likely to warm water places). I'm nitrox certified and looking to get my AOW soon, and even considering trying sidemount someday as I see some dive shops offer that around here. Below are the options I'm considering so far:

Halcyon - known for their quality and service but also expensive, available locally but is it really worth the extra $$? Infinity would cost about $1200 here
Xdeep - also known for their quality, less expensive, Zen costs around $800 here. (not sure if Deluxe version is worth it over Standard)
OMS - I don't know that much about this brand but it seems to be popular enough around here - their OMS Comfort Harness III Signature System is around $700.
Audaxpro - their Audaxpro Stark Evo 16 is around $1000 here, a local shop had recommended them, but I saw some negative reviews in the forums.
Aquatec - a Taiwanese manufacturer that also makes stuff for other brands - their BC-924 is around $600
Dive Gear Express
- not available locally but I do see they ship internationally - I've seen them recommended in these forums - their DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package is only $399? Not sure if that's the complete package or if I would need accessories.

I'm hoping to be able to use the BCD for 20+ years, so I wouldn't mind paying for the quality if I could enjoy it long term, but I just don't know enough yet as to whether or not Halcyon is really worth it - on the other end of the spectrum, DGX is super cheap but I wonder how their long term durability would be, and other than having the inflator checked, is there much service needed? They seem to be a lot of bang for the buck, but would I ever run into a situation where I would absolutely need a part or something from them and would have to wait a week or two to get it shipped here? Or are they basic enough that any good local dive shop could fix any issues?
Aquatec seems like a good local brand, but I don't know much about their quality and durability.
In terms of being able to do sidemount or twin tanks someday, which of these would be better?

Please feel free to offer your suggestions and opinions / advice. Thanks in advance!!!

XDeep — really good quality that is holding well over time

DiveRite — also great quality but I find some of the designs a bit dated and really targeting Florida caves which is not my usual environment

Halcyon — great quality (I have seen my instructor use a wing with over 3000 dives) but not sure the much higher cost justifies the longevity unless you are aiming for standard GUE configuration as part of a team. You can typically buy 2-3 sets of xDeep for one of Halcyon which sort of defeats the longevity aspect.

Thanks, is DiveRite part of the same company as DGX Dive Gear Express? If the design is dated, what part? Does it affect the trim and comfort in the water?

As for the Halcyon vs Xdeep cost - here it's only a 50% difference - $1200 vs $800, which I thought was close to what it was back in the US - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again!

Thanks, is DiveRite part of the same company as DGX Dive Gear Express? If the design is dated, what part? Does it affect the trim and comfort in the water?

As for the Halcyon vs Xdeep cost - here it's only a 50% difference - $1200 vs $800, which I thought was close to what it was back in the US - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again!
DiveRite is separate from DGX. I have not commented on DGX because I have not tested their BCDs but I assume they are very good as well based on other gear produced by DGX.

In Europe the delta between Halcyon and xDeep can easily be 3x on BCDs and their components.

I used to have a DGX S1 BPW and I loved it. Currently most of my gear is Xdeep since our dive center is a dealer, and to be honest, they're great.

I'd go with the Zeos instead of Zen, since I prefer a classic BPW, and if you're diving warm water go with the smaller wing. Deluxe harness is pointless IMHO, unless you're diving w/o any protection, but then, why are you diving w/o a suit. :D

Their fins are great, much shorter than other Jet fins, and super stiff, I really like them, and their mask is my go to mask, and the only frame-less mask that fits my face. So a recommendation for that too. I use their dysuit too, and I love it, super comfortable and made to measure, and I dive a Stealth 2.0 Tec sidemount harness.

All their BCD stuff is made in Poland, along with the suit, while the fins and mask are Taiwan. But really good quality.

I'd recommend them to anyone, since a Zeos is 4-500eur depending on your configuration.

I run Halcyon wings/plates but if I was in the market I would get the DGX wing/plate combo. My buddy is running that setup and it's been great. There is no compromise in quality at all IMO.

XDeep — really good quality that is holding well over time

DiveRite — also great quality but I find some of the designs a bit dated and really targeting Florida caves which is not my usual environment

Halcyon — great quality (I have seen my instructor use a wing with over 3000 dives) but not sure the much higher cost justifies the longevity unless you are aiming for standard GUE configuration as part of a team. You can typically buy 2-3 sets of xDeep for one of Halcyon which sort of defeats the longevity aspect.

I don't think GUE require this at all. Not even close. You can use DR, XDeep, Oxycheq ...

I have Halcyon myself, but I didn't pay retail. Halcyon is for sure high quality, even down to the very polished fit and finish. Sure these don't do anything for diving, but I do enjoy the workmanship

DiveRite is separate from DGX. I have not commented on DGX because I have not tested their BCDs but I assume they are very good as well based on other gear produced by DGX.

In Europe the delta between Halcyon and xDeep can easily be 3x on BCDs and their components.
I see, thanks, the difference between Halcyon and xDeep here is not that steep.

I used to have a DGX S1 BPW and I loved it. Currently most of my gear is Xdeep since our dive center is a dealer, and to be honest, they're great.

I'd go with the Zeos instead of Zen, since I prefer a classic BPW, and if you're diving warm water go with the smaller wing. Deluxe harness is pointless IMHO, unless you're diving w/o any protection, but then, why are you diving w/o a suit. :D

Their fins are great, much shorter than other Jet fins, and super stiff, I really like them, and their mask is my go to mask, and the only frame-less mask that fits my face. So a recommendation for that too. I use their dysuit too, and I love it, super comfortable and made to measure, and I dive a Stealth 2.0 Tec sidemount harness.

All their BCD stuff is made in Poland, along with the suit, while the fins and mask are Taiwan. But really good quality.

I'd recommend them to anyone, since a Zeos is 4-500eur depending on your configuration.
Thanks for the info, Xdeep does seem high quality as well, I just don't know how much import duties will add to the cost if I buy from a European retailer and ship it here to Taiwan, it might not be worth it compared to buying it locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom