GUE gear config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember one about a guy who just after a GUE fundamental (I don't remember if it was the full course or just the first part) wanted to teach the right way to two divers who were tech1 and tech2 certified...
Damn. If anybody has a link I would love to read more about that gem.

Damn. If anybody has a link I would love to read more about that gem.

Although you never met them, apparently these people exist

ginti:
Although you never met them, apparently these people exist
As said, I did get 4 or 5 of them in 5 years duringvwhich I worked as a pro. Statistically they are rare, but they are very vocal and cause a lot of problems...
Of course with those people it does not matter if they were trained by GUE, PADI or are self-taught.
Problem with those GUE trained is that they look well equipped, with good motion control and good theoretical knowledge.
So it is quite hard for the DM to have the final word. Most DMs are actually NOT well equipped, they have poor control of their body and lack knowledge.
So the mixture of such a bad DM and a GUE trained customer who does not wabt to understand the reason for adopting some weird action is quite dangerous.
Luckily enough, in my case, without serious consequences...

As said, I did get 4 or 5 of them in 5 years duringvwhich I worked as a pro. Statistically they are rare, but they are very vocal and cause a lot of problems...
Of course with those people it does not matter if they were trained by GUE, PADI or are self-taught.
Problem with those GUE trained is that they look well equipped, with good motion control and good theoretical knowledge.
So it is quite hard for the DM to have the final word. Most DMs are actually NOT well equipped, they have poor control of their body and lack knowledge.
So the mixture of such a bad DM and a GUE trained customer who does not wabt to understand the reason for adopting some weird action is quite dangerous.
Luckily enough, in my case, without serious consequences...
That sums it up perfectly. The true experienced has spoken. You expressed my exact thoughts in few lines.

... But then again someone super inexperienced / panicked would likely not be familiar with GUE either, if they tried to grab the octopus on the necklace wouldn't that be worse? Honest question -....

Every case is different, but generally, a truly panicked diver will grab the "working regulator", the one in the other diver's mouth. Also, you, as the diver donating, will usually see the person coming at you, so, if trained properly, will have already deployed the long hose and have it ready for the other person.

Nah, they are too heavy and the foot pocket is terrible.
It's good to clarify that this comment was only response to a specific discussion that the potential issues you just raised are irrelevant. He was not referring only to jetfins, but to short and rigid fins in general. If the weight and the pocket is terrible for you, there are a bunch of other fins that are more light and different pocket, such as RK3s, and validate my comment.

Personally I find jetfins awesome. They are as heavy as they should and pretty comfortable in all my rec dives with wetsuit and singles or doubles setup.

It's good to clarify that this comment was only response to a specific discussion that the potential issues you just raised are irrelevant. He was not referring only to jetfins, but to short and rigid fins in general. If the weight and the pocket is terrible for you, there are a bunch of other fins that are more light and different pocket, such as RK3s, and validate my comment.

Personally I find jetfins awesome. They are as heavy as they should and pretty comfortable in all my rec dives with wetsuit and singles or doubles setup.
You are correct. I was talking about Jetfins, which are a trademarked fin. Other fins that are short and stiff, but not made by ScubaPro or Beauchat, ae sometimes called "jetfin clones" but they are not. A clone would be just like a Jetfin, i.e. equally as bad. An example of is the Deep 6 Eddy, which is short and stiff but not heavy and has a great foot pocket, actually shaped like a foot, with a heel pad. It is not a Jetfin, it is not a Jetfin clone.

You are correct. I was talking about Jetfins, which are a trademarked fin. Other fins that are short and stiff, but not made by ScubaPro or Beauchat, ae sometimes called "jetfin clones" but they are not. A clone would be just like a Jetfin, i.e. equally as bad. An example of is the Deep 6 Eddy, which is short and stiff but not heavy and has a great foot pocket, actually shaped like a foot, with a heel pad. It is not a Jetfin, it is not a Jetfin clone.
I find jet fins to be one of the best, foot pocket is short so you need a sole on your boots, warm water soft bootie diving not well suited to jets for sure.

My reason for signing up for GUE was mostly to get better at the different kicks, I can't do a backward or helicopter kick, and my GUE-obsessed friend insisted that it'll improve my buoyancy and trim massively
YouTube could have accomplished most of your goals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom