Air-Integrated Computers

Air-Integration:

• A useful and convenient feature. My computer has it OR if I were buying one I would get AI

Votes: 258 69.7%
  • A useful feature, but isn’t worth the $$$

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • A useless gimmick to relieve newbies like Lemonade of their money

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Tables are diver’s best friends

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get the Suunto Vytec you can buy it on its own & purchase the sender unit later if you feel you need it. (although its a 3 mix computer so your other 2 gasses will not have senders).

hoseless - seems great - but I just can't justify the cost - what's wrong with a regular old brass gauge? Oh, my bad, I have to buy more stuff...

As far as the Pony in where ever goes... hmm... I better just keep my mouth shut...
:)

Dane

My opinion of the Cobra and from what I have read about it is that it is the smallest and one of the very best units available. I am a recreational diver. I do it for fun and I am very concerned with being as efficient and safe a diver as possible. The only thing I have to say about Suunto that is negative is the price that they charge for the interface. I believe the interface should come included with the computer (at no additional charge). My LDS quoted me a price of $175 for the interface. The high cost of the computer, i understand but the interface just isn't worth $25. I really wanted the use of this feature so I built my own interface and it works great. If anyone (in the U.S.) is interested, I would consider making a few since I have a lot of leftover parts. I encourage you to build your own if you feel comfortable also. I would probably charge around $45 (i know I said it isn't worth $25 and it isn't, but I'm not mass producing these things either...) Let me know if anyone is interested.

jamie,

Is there a place with directions on how to do your own?

I seem to remember seeing that on here at one point but haven't been able to find it since?

Thanks,

Aggie Diver

yes, there are several sites on the internet that offer information on how to build an interface. You just have to weigh whether or not its worth it. To build one, you need about $8-$10 worth of parts, an electric soldering iron, and you really need a multimeter to test it before you hook it to your dive computer. To find these sites, just type something like "suunto pc interface" in your search engine and browse through the sites. I charge people around $45 for me to make one and test it. This just covers parts and a couple hours of my time. They aren't quite as fancy as the $175 suunto version for obvious reasons, but they do what they are supposed to do. If you don't have all the tools, you can figure it will cost you about a minimum of $50 if you buy basic tools and parts (this doesn't include your time). If you have good mechanical skills (and good vision) and don't mind taking the time to do it, go for it. I came up with that figure by saying on average the parts cost $10, digital multimeter $25, and soldering iron $15. Let me know if you would rather me build one. By the way, you also need a slight understanding of electrical circuits (resisitors, transistors,diodes)

I'm actually studying electrical engineering and applied math, got the basics sitting in my closet (multimeter, soldering iron), I was just curious if there was any particular schematic you recommend.

Thanks again,

AD

We will shortly be getting our second Cobra, and would be interested in purchasing an interface from someone able to build a reliable one for a reasonable price, which Suunto's certainly isn't.

We'd also appreciate any tips on how to use some of the more complicated functions of the things, or on any book, guide or video that might be available.

Before i just went down and forked out the dough myself on the Suunto Cobra interface, I researched it thoroughly. I actually had trouble locating some of the necessary parts.

I wish you the best on manufacturing a reliable and cheap alternative. You'd definitely have an audience. Here are the baseline plans that work with several of the Suunto families:

Vyper Plans

Suunto interface

Back
Top Bottom