YOUR Leisure Pro Service Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I joined S/B I bought some fins from LP. I didn't have any problems and they e-mailed me when they were shipped w/tracking #.

I got the fins in a few days.

I buy the "life support" stuff from my local LDS. That's my personal hang-up and not necessarily a problem ordering on line.

After joining this board, my next on-line purchase will be from Scubatoys... provided they match price. :D

LavaSurfer:
I don't see this as an issue. A Zeagle is a Zeagle and an Oceanic is an Oceanic whether or not the dealer is an authorized dealer. If the equipment fails from some internet gray market dealer it would have failed if you bought it from the original "Authorized Dealer" as well. It is the same equipment.

I'm sure that I agree with this statement 100%. Since LP is not an authorized dealer for the equipment they sell, then where do they get it ? Gray market, as you point out. The reputation of the sources are unknown, as is possibly the quality, or even authenticity, of the product.

So, where does it come from, if not directly from the Mfg ? Is it close out stock from some defunct shop ... is it refurbished equipment ... who refurbished it ... is it some Asian counterfeit ... who the heck knows ? So, the argument that "a Zeagle is a Zeagle" may not actually be valid.

This may not matter much if you're buying a gear bag or a dive knife. But I personally would never buy a regulator or BCD from LP. Even if I could be convinced that the equipment is authentic and of first quality, then for no other reason for warranty and service. For example, if you have a problem with say an LP purchased regulator, then you'd have to send back to them. You're completely at their mercy now. Would they be able to fix it themselves ... could they get the necessary parts ... would they need to swap it out a replacement item .... would they have a replacement item in stock to give you ... when could they get one ? A similar argument goes for the annual service of a regulator.

With a new exceptions, you can find authorized online dealers for many brands. Many will meet or beat LP prices. SCUBAToys and SCUBA.com are a couple of examples. Why would anyone even consider assuming this risk when there's if there is no price advantage ?

Posted this earlier but it bears repeating:

Alway a good idea to purchase from authorized dealers when dealing with life support equipment! When are we going to start hearing about people dying using cheap knock-offs? It's incredibly easy to duplicate products that look like the original but were actually made in a different country.

I like finding the best price on the internet as well, but there is definitley a "to good to be true" point. e.g. I recently priced a Canon Digital Rebel camera online. All the online prices were around $700.00 except for one that was $499.00 As enticing as that price is-something just ain't right! I ended up buying "the real Canon" for 699.00-with warranty

It would be very interesting for LP to have a representitive on Scubaboard to answer the plethora of questions about their business practices

DISCLAIMER: Rapidiver.com is an authorized ZEAGLE Dealer

When I first started buying stuff online I found Leisurepro and had a ball, I ordered a bunch of stuff and the first time everything worked out great. Then, once I had to give them a call for something (I think an order came sans one item), the man on the other end of the line was so rude and brash that I decided I didn't really like buying from them. I've experienced similiar things buying online, and coincidentally or not these always seem to be businesses in New York, with the cheapest products, but some guy on the phone who doesn't think its worth his time to be polite and address the customer's concerns. You've all either experienced or heard of those companies that sell electronics for really cheap, then when you place an order they call you up to "confirm" your order and try to upsell you on accessories. I've even had a couple of these guys hang up on me and cancel my order after I firmly tell them that I don't want any additional things, just the product I ordered.

Over time I've gained a little more wisdom. I've now realized that my LDS can get me the same, or sometimes better deals, than Leisurepro or any other online retailer, when I group some purchases together. Most dive shops will not be able to compete with e-tailers on single item purchases, but when you buy multiple items it gives them a lot more latitude. I've always maintained that, all other things being equal (price), I'd rather support the friendly guys down the street than some big-time jerks across the country who don't give a *&$#! about what happens after the sale. Just my 2 cents.

(my LDS may be able to offer better deals than others because they're one of the biggest bricks-and-mortar SCUBA retailers in the country, so this may not be representative of your own local situation, they do mail-order though!)

The scuba diving community is a tight-nit bunch and bad news travels fast. Maybe thats why we hear about LP so often and not the other online retailers?

rapidiver:
The scuba diving community is a tight-nit bunch and bad news travels fast. Maybe thats why we hear about LP so often and not the other online retailers?
Or maybe because they are possibly still the biggest online dealer for Scuba gear regardless of whatis being told about them?
BTW, it's a cheap shot to suggest that LP gear will kill someone someday. For that matter if a Zeagle reg (I'm using this brand as an example as you've brought it up) bought from LP will kill someone someday, the chances are the same that this reg may have been sold by you too. :wink:

riguerin:
I'm sure that I agree with this statement 100%. Since LP is not an authorized dealer for the equipment they sell, then where do they get it ? Gray market, as you point out. The reputation of the sources are unknown, as is possibly the quality, or even authenticity, of the product.

So, where does it come from, if not directly from the Mfg ? Is it close out stock from some defunct shop ... is it refurbished equipment ... who refurbished it ... is it some Asian counterfeit ... who the heck knows ? So, the argument that "a Zeagle is a Zeagle" may not actually be valid.

This may not matter much if you're buying a gear bag or a dive knife. But I personally would never buy a regulator or BCD from LP. Even if I could be convinced that the equipment is authentic and of first quality, then for no other reason for warranty and service. For example, if you have a problem with say an LP purchased regulator, then you'd have to send back to them. You're completely at their mercy now. Would they be able to fix it themselves ... could they get the necessary parts ... would they need to swap it out a replacement item .... would they have a replacement item in stock to give you ... when could they get one ? A similar argument goes for the annual service of a regulator.

With a new exceptions, you can find authorized online dealers for many brands. Many will meet or beat LP prices. SCUBAToys and SCUBA.com are a couple of examples. Why would anyone even consider assuming this risk when there's if there is no price advantage ?
This is a very poor post. You pretty much suggest that LP sells counterfeit gear. You actually say that someone has to convince you to the opposite if I read correctly? This is ridiculous and slanderous unless you have some proof to support such statements.
I don't see anything different in the concerns toward warranty and support between LP or any other online dealer, regardless whether authorized or not. If you bought a reg from an online dealer and needed warranty work, wouldn't you be in their mercy when shipping it in? Would you be sure they could fix it themselfs or get the right parts? Would your other online dealer have it in stock to replace it and when could he get it if not? Not much different IMHO.
FWIW, I was very unpleased with my transaction with Scubatoys and I only bought couple of masks as a test purchase. I'm glad I didn't buy a reg from them if this transaction was an example for their service. :wink:

aquaoren:
This is a very poor post. You pretty much suggest that LP sells counterfeit gear.

I'm sorry that this post disturbs you. However, what I have stated is based on these facts; LP is not an authorized dealer for the products that the sell. Consequently, they depend on securing there inventory from the gray market. Since they don't secure it directly from the mfg's channels, there are absolutely no guarantees about where it comes from. To question this is completely valid ... especially when it comes to life support equipment (like a regulator).

aquaoren:
I don't see anything different in the concerns toward warranty and support between LP or any other online dealer, regardless whether authorized or not.

I respectfully disagree. There's a HUGE advatage in buying from an authorized dealer (online or otherwise). This has been beat to death on this msg board.

With respect to this thread, I think that one of the most obvious advantages is "choices". That is, if you buy your equipment from an authorized dealer you clearly have more choices. Your warranty will be honored by the global customer support network that the mfg has put in place for that product. Similarly, you can have annual service performed by ANY authorized service center for that product ... anywhere in the world. If you're not satisfied with any aspect of the service that you receive; be it cost, quality, turnaround time, etc., you can always choose to take it another authorized service center ... or contact the mfg directly. Also, since you're able to register a product purchased through an authorized dealer, you also get the full support of the mfg. (service bulletins, recalls, etc.)

Hey, I personally love LP. I got an awesome deal on my regulator from an AUTHORIZED dealer because of them ;-)

I'm sorry that this post disturbs you. However, what I have stated is based on these facts; LP is not an authorized dealer for the products that the sell. Consequently, they depend on securing there inventory from the gray market. Since they don't secure it directly from the mfg's channels, there are absolutely no guarantees about where it comes from. To question this is completely valid ... especially when it comes to life support equipment (like a regulator).

It always disturbs me that someone is being publicly accused of criminal activity without any proof.
If you think that the fact that they aren't authorized dealer will prevent the manufacturer to sell them the items, you're more than naive. :wink:
You may question whatever you want but to me it looks like you have a very lively fantasy rather than facts to substantiate your assumptions.

I respectfully disagree. There's a HUGE advatage in buying from an authorized dealer (online or otherwise). This has been beat to death on this msg board.

With respect to this thread, I think that one of the most obvious advantages is "choices". That is, if you buy your equipment from an authorized dealer you clearly have more choices. Your warranty will be honored by the global customer support network that the mfg has put in place for that product. Similarly, you can have annual service performed by ANY authorized service center for that product ... anywhere in the world. If you're not satisfied with any aspect of the service that you receive; be it cost, quality, turnaround time, etc., you can always choose to take it another authorized service center ... or contact the mfg directly. Also, since you're able to register a product purchased through an authorized dealer, you also get the full support of the mfg. (service bulletins, recalls, etc.)

I'm sorry but here I have to disagree with you. The board is full of people who report buying gear from authorized dealer online and being ripped off by their LDS later for servicing because they didn't buy the piece of gear from them. Warranty was not honoured eventhough the gear was bought from authorized dealer.
Guess what, the manufacturer can not enforce anything. There was a thread recently about a guy that bought a Poseidon from an authorized dealer who closed and was being charged double the regular service charges from the LDS. When he complained to Poseidon, they politly told him that they can do nothing about it.
A service centre doesn't really care where you bought the regs from and will service it anyway. You may have to incure additional cost for parts if the reg had parts warranty. If they decline to service a reg because you bought it from LP, then they are shooting themselfs in the foot and I wouldn't like to support such a business anyway. In the end it's always your choice where and who will service your regs.
For what it matters, I never received a "service bulletin" from a manufacturer and all of my gear is from authorized dealer and registered with them. Concerning recalls, CDNN has them listed online and you will have to contact your LDS or oline dealer just like you would have to contact LP.

Hey, I personally love LP. I got an awesome deal on my regulator from an AUTHORIZED dealer because of them ;-)

Good for you, congrats. What did you get?

aquaoren:
It always disturbs me that someone is being publicly accused of criminal activity without any proof. ?

Relax, that's not what's been said here. Questioning the source of grey market products is not the same as acussing someone of criminal activity.

aquaoren:
I'm sorry but here I have to disagree with you ....

That's your right. But you have still not said anything to change my mind about buying life support equipment (i.e. regulator) from an unathorized dealer when I can get the same product and price from an authorized one ... with the full backing of the manufacturer's warranty and service network. Anything else seems like a very poor risk versus reward trade off.

aquaoren:
Good for you, congrats. What did you get?

Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX. Lifetime warranty with free parts. I made sure that I purchased from an authorized dealer because of this warning on the Zeagle site:

CONSUMER ALERT -We have encountered a number of consumer complaints recently about sales made through internet auction sites and mail order outlets who ARE NOT authorized Zeagle dealers. These have included selling incomplete products, providing poor service, and in some cases selling items represented as being Zeagle products which in fact were not genuine. PLEASE BE SURE YOU ARE PURCHASING FROM AN AUTHORIZED ZEAGLE DEALER!

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&id=11&submenu=support&pos=3000,3000,8633

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom