Your filing system...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I shoot video, I extract tens (hundreds?) of thousands of stills from the video. Each file is coded with the date and dive site:

halibut California burying itself 2007-08-30 HR-a

One copy of the image is filed chronologically by dive site, another according to the subject matter (all California halibut images in one subdirectory under the proper fish family).

I wrote an xBase program to create a database of all my images and can search that to find the stills (and therefore the video footage) I'm lookin for.

I do it easy...

ImagesAug07
-> subfolder "land"
-> subfolder "VR"
-> subfolder "cars"
etc

all underwater stuff gets dumped into the main folder and then the specific shoots get dumped into their respective sub folders.

I use the keywords in Bridge or Lightroom to "search" for stuff. I'm kinda bad at coding the images, but when I do it works a treat :wink:

Lightroom is cool coz you can search by camera, lens and all sorts of other things as well as dates, keywords etc.

OH yeah, I don't rename my images usually.

I use different folders for underwater and land pictures but they all have a subfolder with year and then subfolders like: 2007-08-24-Dive_site which makes:
/my_home_dir/pics/sub/2007/2007-08-24-Dive_site

this is nice for sorting...

Generally I have

Folder for where/when, example "2007.05.Curacao" (normally don't include the day unless I goto the same place twice in a month which is rare.

Then under that I have two sub-folders, originals and videos (I take quite a few videos with my camera, so need that)

Then I copy all the originals into originals, rename them all to be something reasonably appropriate eg: Curacao.Underwater.Kortape_Point.001.JPG

(so for underwater it's normally placename.underwater.divesite_name.unique_number.JPG)

Then the photos I manipulate and decide are my "best" shots go into the main folder, normally I try to limit this to 36-40 or so for any given folder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom