YOKE vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Filling that with your compressor that tops out at 2250 as well?
Incandescent flashlight still working good as well?
Don't forget to check the position of your reserve valve in case it gets bumped during the dive.
Not going to let you use a computer either, strictly analog watch, depth gauge (I will let you have that modern feature) and the old set of Navy dive tables.
I think I don't get your point. For example, I dive with an analog (self-winding) watch, an oil-filled depth gauge, an oil-filled SPG, and an oil-filled analog compass. I use U.S. Navy tables. I recently purchased my first J-valve, that I broke down and cleaned. (I have a thread here about this.) Waiting now for a service kit to arrive in order to complete the service. My favorite cylinder to use, when I am wearing at most a thin wetsuit, is my old-school PST 72--especially when I am diving my U.S. Divers double-hose regular.

I really enjoy using this very basic, minimalistic gear.

rx7diver

I think I don't get your point. For example, I dive with an analog (self-winding) watch, an oil-filled depth gauge, an oil-filled SPG, and an oil-filled analog compass. I use U.S. Navy tables. I recently purchased my first J-valve, that I broke down and cleaned. (I have a thread here about this.) Waiting now for a service kit to arrive in order to complete the service. My favorite cylinder to use, when I am wearing at most a thin wetsuit, is my old-school PST 72--especially when I am diving my U.S. Divers double-hose regular.

What, you don't??!!

rx7diver
What wild imaginings are you rambling about? Get back in your steam heated caisson we've got a bridge to build fella.

Just get a DIN and a $20 Yoke adapter and you're covered either way.
Where are you finding a $20 adapter?

Can you get me the din conversion part for the Conshelf? I got a couple of them in good shape for a really good price and I’m also looking for the environmental seal cap.

Where are you finding a $20 adapter?

While I've heard this my whole diving career, let's take another look. Both o-rings are in a groove and both mate against a face. The bigger and somewhat more forgiving o-ring (DIN) is only seated when the diver who owns the set dives. The yoke o-ring gets banged around, gets used far more often, and is otherwise ignored until it fails.

FWIW, I've seen a filler that accommodates both yoke and pro-valve DIN. I was impressed.
That's correct and true :)

It is normal for newer technologies to improve upon older, we all benefit from it.

I don't think you understand what an auto clamp is or how it works.
They are used for filling tanks, it is an automatic pneumatic clamp that uses tank pressure to seal itself instead of a hand wheel.
With a yoke auto clamp, the end is steel and it seats to the tank's O-ring. Every tank has its own O-ring, so it is just one cycle of wear on a 100 tanks.
With a DIN style, the O-ring is in the clamp and that one O-rings get 100 cycles in the same number of tanks. That style wears out every few hours when filling tanks constantly.
One more reason why a dive operator would choose yoke over DIN. They are faster and easier for filling. When you are doing 100-300 tanks per day, time becomes rather important.

I am somewhat familiar with how the various valves work and seal. I also filled a tank one time.
My bad Tracy, EN is not my native language. I know the word A-Clamp but I didn't realized you were talking about filling stations but normal dives.

That is correct, the same way the YOKE O-rings suffer because they are abused on dive boats / resorts, when filling DIN tanks the O-ring also suffers. However, I've never experienced any failures as I previously said and mind that in EU you do use A-Clamps for filling as well, in combination with a Donut insert.

I’m getting more of a jibe that his “German” invention is superior and the Americans and Asians are to stupid to understand.

First of all in order to avoid any further 'jibes', the only reason Germany was mentioned in the thread is because of the usage of YOKE vs DIN geographically. There's absolutely no reason to convert this into a geopolitical issue. I am Greek by the way.

'Habit' & 'Intelligence' are two different things as are 'Superiority' & 'Understanding'.

DIN is superior technologically. Safer, smaller and lighter. I strongly believe that most divers understand that, independently of their nationality. However Americans are used to (habit) YOKE as dive operators promote them and you are exposed to them since your OWD. DIN is an improvement derived from the need to have gas at higher pressures.

Intelligent people challenge established technologies and adopt innovation when the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Stupid is to pretend those benefits don't exist due to Ego and personal preferences.
Stupid is to assume that someone is undermining the IQ of a whole Nation because of an open question on a Dive forum.

At the end of the day, you are not obliged to switch to DIN, the same way you could be still using a tank with a J valve, Navy Tables instead of a DC, etc.

Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. Discussing facts, a different thing.

Keep in mind that a DIN tank valve doesn't have to suffer a very hard bump at all to be bent out of round. And then you won't be able to screw in your DIN regulator--unless you can somehow ream (?) out the bend. Maybe.

Make sure your DIN tank valve is "wearing" a DIN plug (or, in the case of a pro valve, has the DIN insert in place) whenever it isn't "wearing" a DIN regulator.

rx7diver
You totally nailed it. That's the way they treat tanks in the dive centers I have personal experience with.
It does take quite a hard bump though, tank valves aren't made of brass as well.

rx7diver
Enjoying analog and vintage gear is beautiful. Not only in regards with diving.

Minimalism, on the other hand, is to use a single AIr Integrated DC that replaces a self-winding watch, an oil-filled depth gauge, an oil-filled SPG, and an oil-filled analog compass AND the U.S. Navy tables :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom