YOKE vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timely thread as I'm buying a reg set in the next couple weeks. I've been going back and forth on DIN v. yoke, and if I'm being honest I was leaning toward DIN. Not because I have tanks with DIN valves, or because I'll be buying any in the foreseeable future, but just because "what if, someday...". If I'm actually being practical, being in the US, renting tanks, and probably mostly diving in the Caribbean, there's no reason to get DIN. If I ever get to the point where I'm diving so often in my own backyard and want my own tanks (say, in ten years when I hopefully retire to the Keys), I'll treat myself to a DIN set then. For now, though, logic says yoke.

@El Diablo you said closing with humor, but it is a VERY big consideration and if I owned a high volume shop, they would all be yoke or have the inserts in the tank valves. Call it 7 seconds each on attach/detach. 15 seconds to make easy math. When I worked at Seacamp it was not uncommon to have to fill 100 tanks in a session. 15secs/tank*100 tanks=25 minutes of extra time to fill for the tank monkeys. 200 tank fill sessions are not uncommon in some of the high volume shops in North America and that time is certainly valuable.

I agree about o-ring failure and it is why we teach our students to bubble check and make sure the shop sends them with fresh o-rings when they rent, but from a fill station and commercial operations perspective, yoke is vastly superior and certainly outweighs the admittedly negligible benefits of DIN in most recreational diving.
Sure, if you fill 100 tanks that can be an issue :wink:

Safety, size & weight aren't negligible IMO but if it suits you, works for me.

One advantage of yokes is the filter is visible for inspection unless you have one of those pointless devices that block them from view. DINs could easily mount the filter at the end where they can be seen but almost no manufacturers do.

DINs are also harder to tighten and loosen with cold wet hands. That could be changed if manufacturer's didn't put such skimpy grips on the DIN regulators. That said, I use DIN most of the time.

I have seen liveaboards say they don't have DIN valves on their Website, but actually have convertible Pro Valves when I got aboard. Understandably, having both is a PITA for them to fill with 20 divers and 4-5 dives/day.

One advantage of yokes is the filter is visible for inspection unless you have one of those pointless devices that block them from view. DINs could easily mount the filter at the end where they can be seen but almost no manufacturers do.

DINs are also harder to tighten and loosen with cold wet hands. That could be changed if manufacturer's didn't put such skimpy grips on the DIN regulators. That said, I use DIN most of the time.

I have seen liveaboards say they don't have DIN valves on their Website, but actually have convertible Pro Valves when I got aboard. Understandably, having both is a PITA for them to fill with 20 divers and 4-5 dives/day.
You are right but it depends on the regulator brand. Scubapro has the easiest DIN grips followed by Aqualung, Cressi and Mares (in that order IMO). The Dive Shop I use to work for rented them.

All metal grips and the older hard plastic Scubapro / Zeagle ones are a pain...

I have been using DIN since circa early 90's for my local diving where I owned the Tanks I used. I used Yoke first stage (or an adapter) when traveling and having to use rental tanks. I see now more of the "Pro" valves with a removable insert when I travel but they aren't always available. I travel with my DIN regulator with an adapter just in case. DIN has been much more reliable than Yoke especially when it came to o'rings.

If your friend is going to be diving in Europe most of the time, I'd buy a DIN regulator. If he is going to be traveling to locations that use the Yoke, I'd buy the adapter for the occasional use. If he is going to be doing a mix of local and vacation travel, then two regulators; one with Yoke and one with DIN.

I have been using DIN since circa early 90's for my local diving where I owned the Tanks I used. I used Yoke first stage (or an adapter) when traveling and having to use rental tanks. I see now more of the "Pro" valves with a removable insert when I travel but they aren't always available. I travel with my DIN regulator with an adapter just in case. DIN has been much more reliable than Yoke especially when it came to o'rings.

If your friend is going to be diving in Europe most of the time, I'd buy a DIN regulator. If he is going to be traveling to locations that use the Yoke, I'd buy the adapter for the occasional use. If he is going to be doing a mix of local and vacation travel, then two regulators; one with Yoke and one with DIN.
Totally agree. For most Europeans it makes sense a DIN with an adapter IF they travel abroad.
99% of the tanks in EU use a donut insert to accommodate travelers.

For me the advantages of DIN are clear. Of course if you live in the US and don't own a scuba tank, YOKE is the obvious solution. As it seems, we always end up with the original reason, rentals.

I have been to many diving places in SE Asia and yoke rules with no exception. Insert is getting popular in some places but never ever count on it. Ask ahead.
Adaptor? I gave it away long time ago.

Closing with humor, by filling faster, you mean attaching the compressor hose is faster than the DIN by 7sec?
Yes, times thousands and thousands of tanks per year.
Plus yoke auto clamps are more reliable than the din equivalents as the din versions wear out that O-ring every few hundred tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom