YOKE vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YOKE is still a very good system. It is still perfectly safe, people is happy with it, Dive Operators in the US, Asia & Pacific seem to be invested on it. No one stated YOKE is crap, worthless or people choosing YOKE are imbeciles.
DIN is SAFER ≠ YOKE is not safe / bad.
Using an adapter is the WORST.

Using an adapter is the WORST.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Personal insults will not be tolerated/MESSAGE]

Using an adapter is NOT the WORSE. The worse is staying on the boat watching your friend bubbling away.

99% safe means 1% is unsafe, that's a lot of "unsafe." 1% unsafe means 1 out of 100 dives is unsafe, for many of us here this means that we should have been dead or severely injured several times over the span of our diving career (I have been diving for over 50 years now btw but I ain't no Chairman) .
Your statistics are incorrect. The statement was that 99% of the divers, on 99.9% of their dives, do not need the extra engineering of the DIN reg. This does not translate to 1 out of 100 dives being unsafe, but rather 1 out of 100,000. The 1% need DIN, and they have DIN (caves, deep tech, wreck penetration, etc).

Your statistics are incorrect. The statement was that 99% of the divers, on 99.9% of their dives, do not need the extra engineering of the DIN reg. This does not translate to 1 out of 100 dives being unsafe, but rather 1 out of 100,000. The 1% need DIN, and they have DIN (caves, deep tech, wreck penetration, etc).
Says who? Who says that 1% of divers need DIN? In what agency, manual, guideline?
Using DIN is not like wearing a parachute in Economy class...

I don't know what Agency certified you but this is what PADI's IDC program states:

DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) German Has a stronger connection between the tank valve and the first stage of the regulator. DIN Valves Screw into the Valve and come in two types a short 5 threads so a tank can only be filled to 232 bar / 3364 psi and a long 7 threads and a tank can now be filled to 300 bar / 4351 psi. This only connection used when a tank is 300 bar / 4351 psi high tank pressure. These are the preferred valve by Wreck, Cave and Technical divers. The Regulator First Stage has the o-ring, the tank only has a hole with threads. Adaptors and insert can be found to cross convert for these valves.
  • Has a better seal.
  • Is stronger.
  • Can use higher air pressure
  • Preferred by Tech divers
  • Regulator has the o-ring as the tank does not have one
  • Can get adaptors to allow DIN regs on International Valves
DIN is simply SAFER that's why it became popular with TEC divers. The same as wing BCs or long hoses. Thousands of non-TEC divers adopted those as well. Preferred doesn't equal Need. 2 different things.

You will write anything you can in order to make a point BUT once again avoided to answer the question:
Your BUDDY having an Octo makes any difference in 99% of YOUR dives?

Says who? Who says that 1% of divers need DIN? In what agency, manual, guideline?
Using DIN is not like wearing a parachute in Economy class...

I don't know what Agency certified you but this is what PADI's IDC program states:

DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) German Has a stronger connection between the tank valve and the first stage of the regulator. DIN Valves Screw into the Valve and come in two types a short 5 threads so a tank can only be filled to 232 bar / 3364 psi and a long 7 threads and a tank can now be filled to 300 bar / 4351 psi. This only connection used when a tank is 300 bar / 4351 psi high tank pressure. These are the preferred valve by Wreck, Cave and Technical divers. The Regulator First Stage has the o-ring, the tank only has a hole with threads. Adaptors and insert can be found to cross convert for these valves.
  • Has a better seal.
  • Is stronger.
  • Can use higher air pressure
  • Preferred by Tech divers
  • Regulator has the o-ring as the tank does not have one
  • Can get adaptors to allow DIN regs on International Valves
DIN is simply SAFER that's why it became popular with TEC divers. The same as wing BCs or long hoses. Thousands of non-TEC divers adopted those as well. Preferred doesn't equal Need. 2 different things.

You will write anything you can in order to make a point BUT once again avoided to answer the question:
Your BUDDY having an Octo makes any difference in 99% of YOUR dives?
That’s all great - but yoke is not unsafe and more than adequate for recreational divers like me - I don’t know of anyone who has had an issue with a reg because it was Yoke and I know many people with thousands of dives.

So… the “extra safety” of DIN is of no practical value/significance to me - in fact, it would be more a a nuisance as many Ops I dive with do not have DIN valves so I’d need to carry an adapter which adds bulk and makes it more likely to hit your head on the first stage.

That’s all great - but yoke is not unsafe and more than adequate for recreational divers like me - I don’t know of anyone who has had an issue with a reg because it was Yoke and I know many people with thousands of dives.

So… the “extra safety” of DIN is of no practical value/significance to me - in fact, it would be more a a nuisance as many Ops I dive with do not have DIN valves so I’d need to carry an adapter which adds bulk and makes it more likely to hit your head on the first stage.
That's all great as well.

As stated multiple times, DIN is SAFER doesn't equal YOKE is not safe.

Why you should hit your head with DIN is a mystery to me as the valves start exactly from the same point and DIN regs are smaller in case you didn't noticed...

I agree - as also stated multiple times - that IF you live in the USA, Asia & Pacific, don't have your own tank(s), your Dive Operator doesn't offer a hybrid (insert) solution and you don't want to use an adapter, YOKE is for you.

All good :)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off Topic Comments Removed

BUT on the other hand, if you wish members to be able to discuss, don't try to bully them, that's lame.
I haven't called you a name. I haven't threatened you. If you feel that me disagreeing with you is bullying, then you need a thicker skin. On the other hand, you've told me that I'm horrible and arrogant for disagreeing with you, which is bullying. Meh, i don't really care, but you're silting out the discussion with personal attacks. Please don't project your issues on me. Lame is accusing me of things I didn't do.

If you feel if any of my posts are bullying in nature, please report them. Tell us why you feel that way. We'll let the mods decide and for the record, they are tougher on me than anyone else.

On another note, repeating the same arguments over and over, and over ad nauseum, doesn't make them true. You have yet to cite a single study that backs you up. Not one. If it's safer, then where is the data to back it up?

Didn't I tell you previously that you are wasting your time.
You're worth the risk. ;D

Very rarely do I write for the person I am quoting, especially if they are being unreasonable. Rather, I write for the others that have read this far. This is especially important if I am misrepresented or accused of nefarious intent as i must clarify my position lest readers take him at face value. It's more likely for a yoke o-ring to extrude at a lethal velocity and hit me in the temple than it is for me to dissuade a POV Warrior from their attempts to save the world from our yokes of slavery. As it is written in the good book, "Take my yoke upon thee, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find air from your tanks." I paraphrase, but you get the gist.

Pardon the levity... I was merely trying to relieve the pressure.

You're worth the risk. ;D

Very rarely do I write for the person I am quoting, especially if they are being unreasonable. Rather, I write for the others that have read this far. This is especially important if I am misrepresented or accused of nefarious intent as i must clarify my position lest readers take him at face value. It's more likely for a yoke o-ring to extrude at a lethal velocity and hit me in the temple than it is for me to dissuade a POV Warrior from their attempts to save the world from our yokes of slavery. As it is written in the good book, "Take my yoke upon thee, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find air from your tanks." I paraphrase, but you get the gist.

Pardon the levity... I was merely trying to relieve the pressure.
Unfortunately you are hitting a solid brickwall.
"to relieve the pressure"? Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom