Yoke Vs Din (wave of the future?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Have read a lot lately about how the yoke fitting is slowly being phased out in exchange for the DIN fitting, which (they say) is safer and more streamlined...I for one have never dove a DIN, but the concept seems to fit. the O ring is trapped inside which seems safer, and the screw nob is absent which provides less opportunity for things to get caught on it. Any thoughts on this?

Jay

It absolutely is safer and a more stable and secure system from an engineering standpoint. Also from an engineering standpoint, it can handle more pressure. I don't know if I would call it the wave of the future, it's just a matter of North America finally getting out of the stone age.

I started using a DIN valve when I converted to HP steel tanks. Two things I like about the DIN valve is the captured O-ring, and the ability to simply screw on a yoke adapter was a big plus. I never had an issue with things snagging on my yoke valve.

Captured o-ring is more reliable and yes most DIN setups are lower profile/more streamlined. (I can't remember the last time I used a yoke reg.) More divers are using DIN but I think yoke is going to be around for awhile. With AL80s still being the most popular tank alot would have to change.

I'm going DIN this year too. :) I'd rather go a good HP 120 or 130, than two LP 80's - plus I don't think my BC allows a double. :(

From what I understand the DIN is a great direction to go if you are diving in European geared locations...but in the US and the Islands you are going to struggle to find DIN cylinders and will need the adapter kit, which cancels out the benefit of the O ring being captured and the streamlined effect....

Scuba-Jay:
From what I understand the DIN is a great direction to go if you are diving in European geared locations...but in the US and the Islands you are going to struggle to find DIN cylinders and will need the adapter kit, which cancels out the benefit of the O ring being captured and the streamlined effect....

You're absolutely right. Now if you are owning your own cylinders, then DIN would definetly be the way to go IMHO. I use 200 bar DIN valves on my cylinders, which allows a thread in insert so if someone was to use your tanks, they can use their yoke regs still. if I am using the odd AL80 I use my yoke adaptor on my reg, if I'm going down south and will be diving AL80's for a week, I just change out the reg to a yoke for the week.

I've been DIN since I bought my first AL80s after dive #10 and have never looked back! I've had to dive Yoke a time or two with rental or borrowed tanks and I definitely did not lock it. Going DIN was one of the toughest but yet best decisions I made when buying my initial gear.

Jimmer:
if I am using the odd AL80 I use my yoke adaptor on my reg, if I'm going down south and will be diving AL80's for a week, I just change out the reg to a yoke for the week.

Exactly, same here. More resorts have DIN tanks now so you may end up being able to dive DIN afterall. Either way if you go DIN with a yoke converter your ready for anything... Another nice thing about DIN is you are responsible for your own oring instead of the yoke valve face oring. I keep spares either way, but it's nice to not have to worry about some ol' rental oring ruining a dive. (Or at least not making an annoying trail of tiny little bubbles :wink: )

Midnight Star:
I'm going DIN this year too. :) I'd rather go a good HP 120 or 130, than two LP 80's - plus I don't think my BC allows a double. :(
i know this probably belongs in a tank thread, but this caught my eye. do many people use double lp 80's, i mean ive seen it done and heard navy divers are trained with this set-up but really what recreational diver would go through the bouyncy hassel of this rig, not to mention the hassel of double for 160 cuft of air, not to interigate Midnight Star, but just wondering if any one has insight, also this is just a comment on hp tanks the idea is great, but what about the filling problems, i use a huge tank currently, a lp steel 121 that i normally fill to nearly 3000psi, a slight over fill from the 2640psi rating, but hp tanks will rarely get a complete fill, just compressing air to those pressures causes the vessel, or tank, to heat up and youll have to let the tank cool and top it off, i mean this is a personal desicion, but still id rather carry a physically bigger tank than worry about having all day to fill it

Back
Top Bottom