Yoke Vs Din (wave of the future?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
Regs made by most companies are offerred in both DIN and yoke models, they are just not always stocked or cataloged that way. And you can't blame the company or the LDS as yoke connections are much more common and are still more or less the standard in North American recreational diving as well as in most of the dive destinations in this hemisphere. If you dive the carribean, a DIN reg will usually result in you having to tolerate a DIN to yoke adapter.

The only real downside to a DIN valve in my opinon (other than limited travel availability) is that they hold water much more readily that a yoke valve and offer greater potential for water dropplets to be introduced into the tank during a fill so somewhat greater care is required in the filling process.

Wow. As always, great post! I almost always learn something from your posts. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Absolutely... excellent post... Answers a couple of questions until now I haven't been able to find answers to...

Kudos, DA...

hi,
I moved to DIN 7 years ago and I would never go back to Yoke.... and if I diving somewhere there is no DIN valve on the Tanks so you always have the possibility to put a convertor DIN to Yoke.
In terms of safety it is also better, and so easy to use...

Another difference that DA touched on was that with Yoke, the o-ring is kept on the tank, whereas with DIN its kept on the reg. Considering most people don't service their valves nearly as often as their regs, the yoke o-rings are more likely to get old and brittle which may have something to do with why they seem to fail more often. Like the o-rings on caribbean rental tank yoke valves that sit in the sun all day and get all brittle and fall apart, a good portion of those seem to have slow leaks. I don't think they visual those tanks (in Bonaire at least), and just change out the o-rings after someone complains about a problem with one.

But on the other hand I've had much more of a problem with DIN o-rings falling out of my regs, fill whip, DIN plugs...

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom