xDeep BLACK - bottom timer / computer features. Sold beginning Friday, July 26th !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the video, I'm puzzled by the final form of the product : Crappy screen (ok renders are renders, but still, looks crappy compared to an old UEMIS), crappy screws on the box. Where are all the well neatly screws from the product preview ? :shocked2:
Crappy screen? If you refer to the flickering, that's basically what happens when you try to film any (O)LED screen: if the refresh rate of the screen and that of the camera don't sync up, it's bound to look like this. If you look at TV shows like Top Gear, where they show cars that have LED headlights, you get exactly the same effect.

The screws look identical to those shown in product previews until now? If you watch the video at 720p there are less compression artifacts, makes everything look better instantly. :p

Thanks for the video, I'm puzzled by the final form of the product : Crappy screen (ok renders are renders, but still, looks crappy compared to an old UEMIS), crappy screws on the box. Where are all the well neatly screws from the product preview ? :shocked2:
It's perhaps not fair to compare this screen to the UEMIS- that was an active matrix screen (AMOLED), it was also used by Shearwater at the time and is the same as used by the Atomic Cobalt, 240 x 320 pixels. These displays are no longer manufactured (and were very expensive), hence the shift to newer technology TFT screens for high resolution displays. Unfortunately Samsung is the only AMOLED manufacturer producing small screens at present, and they will not sell them in small volume- and diving is very tiny volume.

Passive matrix OLED screens are much more limited in the resolution that can be achieved at reasonable power levels. But they are still very bright and clear, and can be had at a much lower cost. If you are trying to make a small device with a bright screen and a low cost these are a good option.

Ron

The bolts are used because a reason: it prevents the body against scratches when the device is put on the concrete or something similar with the display down (a lot of users do that). So we raised a discussion about the bolts on the internet forums. We have asked the community: "should we make it flat or elevated". Most of users said that the elevated are just better.

The look? People like it. But who's buying the computer for it's look? :)

Regarding to the screen - It's the same as in Liquivision. The main advantage of the PM-OLED over TFT displays is the contrast: for OLED it's 2000:1 and for TFT it's 300:1 only. Due to that, the pixels are much more visible than in TFT, but it also brings much better readability, especially for smaller fonts.

Looks like a bit like an X1 and a Petrel mated. Those push buttons are... different. What kind of switches are they activating?

The bolts are used because a reason: it prevents the body against scratches when the device is put on the concrete or something similar with the display down (a lot of users do that). So we raised a discussion about the bolts on the internet forums. We have asked the community: "should we make it flat or elevated". Most of users said that the elevated are just better.

The look? People like it. But who's buying the computer for it's look? :)
I agree with your reasoning. Having the screen to be the highest point on any device is just bad design: you'd be making the most fragile and important part of your unit the most protruding one.

In my opinion, the screws add to a more rugged look, something I personally like. It's a piece of serious diving kit, you wouldn't buy a wing if it were pink, right?

What kind of switches are they activating?

It's an electronic sensor, similar to these used in metal detectors, but much more precise. The buttons operate very smooth and there are no seals. We might use the magnetic field detection, which would be much easier to implement, but as our goal was to have accurate and really useful compass, we used this technology.

Last edited:
Actually a pink wing might be cool. Something different. I have seen some pink gear that was pretty nice looking. B.

Like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 496
And here I thought the bright red Poseidon uses these days was pushing it. I stand corrected.

More on topic: if you'd like, you can always use the pink interface colors on the xDeep BT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom