xDeep BLACK - bottom timer / computer features. Sold beginning Friday, July 26th !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were problems. That can not be denied. It was announced too early. Manufacturing couldn't keep up. Lots of delays. Some retail outlets got fed up and bailed. All in all it was a terrible way to release a product.

But that seems to be over now for everyone except tridacna. And his tired rants against what happened in the past just seem like a holy jihad against the manufacturer, the U.S. Distributor, and Sebastian personally. Let it go. You've made your point.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

So...did this thing survive? Do they even make it any more? Is the company still around? I was castigated for my criticism. Ha. (My last laugh).

So...did this thing survive? Do they even make it any more? Is the company still around? I was castigated for my criticism. Ha. (My last laugh).
Mine works just fine, they are still around I believe they got bought by someone else

xDeep are doing very well here in Europe and beyond - I'm not sure how they've been adopted across the pond there.
They are becoming a pretty serious brand around and abouts. Their Side Mount stuff is pretty much becoming 'one of the' de-facto standards.

They created a company to handle the BLACK which is now under the brand Genz
GENZ; Scuba Gear; Single tank BC; Side Mount; Double tank BCD; Diving computer
I'm not sure if they sorted out their supply difficulties - I got my BLACK EANx ages ago and still dive it - awesome little beast.

http://www.genz.pl/en/availability-note-tmx-av.html

Dear Friends,

As we all know, the BLACK TMX seems like a really great product…. if you can get hold of one. We want to apologise for the lack of availability and to explain that it’s for one very simple reason: we completely underestimated how popular it would be!

When we planned the launch of the BLACK TMX, we thought that we might sell up to 500 devices in the first year. The reality has far exceeded our expectations and in a very short period of time, the BLACK TMX has created a staggering amount of interest. In just the first few months, we have received orders for thousands of devices from dealers all over the world. The reasons seems clear: the BLACK offers very powerful hardware with unique and sophisticated features at a very very competitive price. In fact, our marketing guys advise us to raise the price, but we won’t do it. We are divers and we just want to provide you the best equipment we can at the most reasonable price. This is the philosophy we had when we started and its the philosopy we keep to this day.

The BLACK TMX has been shipping to customers since August, but many customers are still waiting for their orders. We’re extremely sorry for that and please believe us when we say that we’re doing our best to increase our manufacturing capability and to deliver as many as you need, but it will take time.

We believe that with its unique features and great price, the BLACK TMX is worth waiting for and feedback from the users who have already got the BLACK TMX is really positive. Unfortunately for orders received now, the delivery time may even be several months whilst we work to fulfil all the current backorders. As mentioned, we are working hard to dramatically increase our manufacturing capabilities and believe the availability will significantly improve soon. In the meantime, we thank you for the overwhelming interest in our product and for your patience as we work as hard as we can to get supply caught up with demand.

Sincerely yours,
GENZ Team

Received in October 2014, 60 dives since. Recently I found some issues with dive logs Genz told me to update the firmware (long over due) and it's fine now and data is still intact.

It's not a pretty computer, but it's very functional. The bright display is awesome.

Having one doesn't count. I had one. Buying one two years ago doesn't make the company viable today. .

The present is that it's dead in the USA. No more distribution. I called up a few of the distributors mentioned on their web page. I got guffaws of frustration. Both told me to avoid the stuff. (References from THEIR OWN web page!!!!).. Oh and that included ALL their equipment. Not just the computer. Could this be the worst marketing attempt in SCUBA history? Pity because they had decent products but two guys who could not distribute new passports to Iraqi refugees.

@tridacna
You asked "...did this thing survive?"
The answer is an emphatic yes, as anyone lucky enough to get one will tell you.

You asked "Do they even make it any more?"
The answer is Yes

You asked "Is the company still around?"
The answer is Yes

It's old news that they suffered from their own success - their product is very well thought out and solid - their supply is less good - but don't get the two confused.

Tridacna I am sure you have good considerations from a business perspective, but from a consumer perspective (yes, 1 unit every few years) it was a good purchase. I had always stuck with Suuntos since getting my OW certification and every computer lasted few years before I splurge on a new computer. I spent around the same amount of money for a Suunto D6i before this computer, and while it looked sexier looking it was not as useful. In reading all the comments on Eon Steel, I am doubtful I will go that route either.

Unless some major breakthrough happens in dive computers, I'd probably stay with this watch for a while until it breaks. When it does, and if there is no support at that time, so be it. I can't speak for those who didn't have a good experience with the company.

(p.s. in looking at past posts it appears that you are just trolling the heck out of this product thread.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom