xDeep BLACK - bottom timer / computer features. Sold beginning Friday, July 26th !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamby66, I think you are the customer I have corresponded with this week. As I have mentioned dive planner is going to give you a bulk park value of your NDL for your next dive as its a very dynamic value unless you will dive to every second and every foot exact like calculated in planner which we know is simply not happening, if you will stay a bit longer or shorter on different depths which is just the nature of a dive it will not cover your ideal plan calculated. These days if anybody uses repetitive dive planners they use all sorts of phone apps, desktop apps etc. simply because they have more advanced options, better user interface itp. You have a right to choose whatever floats your boat and it has to be respected. We may add that to Black easily but it's a low priority matter for now. I'm sorry that we couldn't accommodate your need in this matter.

Tecdivegear,
I am in fact the person you have talked to. I hold nothing against you or the xdeep, but without that planner I have no need for that computer.

If that software is added today I would keep the unit and be very happy. Without it shearwater is my next option.

Dr. Lecter, yes it does even in rec nitrox mode. You can calculate ndl based on what gasses you have in your settings based on either "now" or a time in the future. Very important for me. Most of the time all I know for my profile is I have x gas and want to dive x deep on my next dive. The petrel has everything I need but I did not want the trimix right now.

good to know, because outside rec mode it only generates square profile plans. Determining NDL at any given moment for any given depth is kind of a PITA. Which is fine for deco dives, but annoying for rec divers sitting on a boat between NDL dives and deciding when to splash.

Lamby66, I think you are the customer I have corresponded with this week. As I have mentioned dive planner is going to give you a bulk park value of your NDL for your next dive as its a very dynamic value unless you will dive to every second and every foot exact like calculated in planner which we know is simply not happening, if you will stay a bit longer or shorter on different depths which is just the nature of a dive it will not cover your ideal plan calculated. These days if anybody uses repetitive dive planners they use all sorts of phone apps, desktop apps etc. simply because they have more advanced options, better user interface itp. You have a right to choose whatever floats your boat and it has to be respected. We may add that to Black easily but it's a low priority matter for now. I'm sorry that we couldn't accommodate your need in this matter.

Hard to believe that I agree with Sebastian on anything in this thread. Repetitive dive planning is a completely worthless feature on the computer. I use an iPhone if I need to calculate. Moreover...drum roll please, I now have the EANX model and it is fantastic. My wife bought me one to shut me up (after reading most of this thread). 27 dives so far and this thing is perfect. I mean it. No issues so far. No temp issues - nada. Coming from me, this is probably worth something. Dang. Sounds of Tri eating humble pie.

Lamby... did you have a computer before the xDeep that had an NDL planner?

I'm trying to figure out when, as a recreational EANx diver, you would use this and how?

I learned it the tables and planning when I took the PADI Nitrox course, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a situation where I'm going to use it.
I observe my NDL.. if I go upside down a few minutes I'll burn it off during my ascent. It's not the end of the world. I supposed that's technically deco diving, but then again so is any rec dive if you're forced to make a "safety stop" (which is really recreational speak for "deco stop").
If it's a matter of not understanding what going into deco really means, I get that. I used to think going into deco was some horrible thing. Now I realize it just means I'll have to wait a few minutes longer before surfacing, and more often than not I burn it off during my return/ascent anyway, so I never really notice it.
If you're drastically running your air down and have no concept of what your SAC rate is, I wouldn't recommend going this route, but generally speaking, if you're a by the book PADI recreational diver and you're making sure to start your return at about 1,500psi, you will more than likely have ample gas for a few minutes of deco.

Since you're only diving EANx, what exactly are you looking to plan that your computer isn't able to tell you during the dive?

Regardless of how many back-to-back dives you're doing, you have to do a surface interval.
If you're doing NDL, that infers no deco stops. So are you simply trying to figure out before your next dive how long your bottom time will be at depth?

Something else to consider, though I haven't done it yet... As I understand it, even with an unplanned dive you can switch your gases on your computer to a higher % of O2 (if you're slinging an second bottle) during a stop (before surfacing) to bring the bottom time up for your next dive. Your computer should take this into account in conjunction with your surface interval.

I dive a Petrel and haven't used all of the features it has, to include the dive planner, partly because I wait the hour surface interval and partly because I'm comfortable with a few minutes of unplanned deco.

I honestly think you should give the xDeep more of a chance, but again, I don't know what kind of diving your doing that you feel that an NDL planner is absolutely necessary.

Having said that, I'm actually surprised the xDeep doesn't have the NDL Planner as an option. As I understand it, it is at its core an advanced bottom timer, so I guess that should be expected. I would think if it's something you can calculate on a table or is already available in other computers, why would be it difficult to incorporate it into this computer? The NDL planner on the Petrel is really just a quick look version of what you would get from doing tables. You select how long before your next dive and it breaks your times down by the gas you currently have selected and depths. The Dive Planner, and again I'm assuming, is probably something you're no going to get much use out of if you're sticking to NDL and only diving a single gas.

So... I don't know that this helped much. Don't take everything I say as gospel. There are some that may agree with what I wrote and some who will adamantly disagree and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, which is certainly possible. I'm always learning more every day.
I currently don't use the feature you want. Not to say I never will, but I don't see any need for it in my foreseeable future and I dive at least 1-3x/week.

Father, The best way for me to explain this is when I make a dive that takes me off the charts of a rec padi charts if it was square (45 min dive with a max depth of 130 but i only there for 2 min and most of my dive was at 35 ) and I plan on doing a 2nd dive to say 100' and I want to be there for say 15 minutes. How do I calculate how long I need to rest before I use say 30% nitrox. My current computer I change my gas and my new Ndls show up. I very well can want so etching not needed but it is the only way i can currently figure out how to do it.

good to know, because outside rec mode it only generates square profile plans. Determining NDL at any given moment for any given depth is kind of a PITA. Which is fine for deco dives, but annoying for rec divers sitting on a boat between NDL dives and deciding when to splash.

Dr. Lecter,
Funny... I had been meaning to figure out why I only had 3 optional gases. If you have the Petrel set to OC Rec it only allows for 3, but it does open up the NDL planner as an option. I've been using OC Rec for a while. I mainly like it for the safety stop timer.
If you're in OC Tec it opens up two more gases but removes the NDL Planner.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing here. How can I build a 2nd dive profile via 3rd party app using my current tissue loading from a previous dive if it is off the charts?

Father, The best way for me to explain this is when I make a dive that takes me off the charts of a rec padi charts if it was square (45 min dive with a max depth of 130 but i only there for 2 min and most of my dive was at 35 ) and I plan on doing a 2nd dive to say 100' and I want to be there for say 15 minutes. How do I calculate how long I need to rest before I use say 30% nitrox. My current computer I change my gas and my new Ndls show up. I very well can want so etching not needed but it is the only way i can currently figure out how to do it.

To the best of my knowledge, the Petrel won't plan two dives ahead, if that's what you're saying.
If you're trying to figure this out while waiting out your surface interval, then yes, the Petrel absolutely can tell you this.
If this is something you have to have, then yes, you probably bought the wrong computer. I don't see this option in the manual.
I've been on the surface for >4 hours, otherwise I could tell you, but there's a good chance what you want to know might end up telling you how much deco you're going to end up doing or what gases you need to switch to at which depths to keep from going into deco... neither of which I'm sure you want.

The NDL planner isn't as exact as what you're asking, but ball parks your bottom time based on when you're getting back in the water and what % gas you're using for the entire dive.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing here. How can I build a 2nd dive profile via 3rd party app using my current tissue loading from a previous dive if it is off the charts?

Not sure I understand what you're asking... but if you're trying to plan a second dive with numbers that exceed the limits of the EANx tables it probably means you're going beyond NDL and will end up in deco which is a different kind of planning.

Hard to believe that I agree with Sebastian on anything in this thread. Repetitive dive planning is a completely worthless feature on the computer. I use an iPhone if I need to calculate.

As Sebastian pointed out, however, nobody sticks to the planned profile on NDL rec dives. Which means planning a repetitive dive on a phone rather than on the DC you used on dive #1-whatever (with your actual tissue loading data) is going to be less accurate. Now, maybe that's unimportant because a few minutes NDL either way doesn't matter and you're all riding the computer during the dive anyway to stay within NDLs...but I don't break out my iPhone on the boat between dives. Too clumsy to use that kind of thing around water :D

Back
Top Bottom