xDeep BLACK - bottom timer / computer features. Sold beginning Friday, July 26th !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it's been stated multiple times that the locking issue only happens once reaching the surface and not "in the middle of a recreational dive."

You've missed a couple bugs posted in this thread, I see.

I believe it's been stated multiple times that the locking issue only happens once reaching the surface and not "in the middle of a recreational dive." You've also stated multiple times that you won't be buying a computer, which I'm sure everyone knows. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I don't understand the need to constantly bash the product and proclaim that you aren't buying it. Yes, there are obviously a lot of issues and animosity regarding the product and everyone knows you don't want one, but some of us are still somewhat interested in the knew info being presented in the thread

The only "knew" info is the increasing list of bugs on the computer. Did I miss something? What else is "knew"? Oh wait, Seb returned (after an elective absence) to announce limited miniscule distribution. Woo.

I saw the posts about the computer locking on the surface or after missing deco stops after surfacing, did someone post about it locking during a dive that I didn't see?

Sure, let me do your diligence for you:

Took my new BT on some tec dives and the display is great, even at depth. I don't even look at my old Suunto anymore and use it as just a backup.

But on one of my dives to 60m, the dive timer didn't stop when I surfaced and kept on counting! It stayed in dive mode even though the depth read 0 m. And since it was in dive mode, I couldn't access the system settings to reboot the computer. I was essentially locked out!

After a few hours, it freed up for no reason. I should've taken a video of this, but I can show at least show you the log page which shows a massive dive time of 291 min. My SAC isn't that great!

Note that for Nitrox or TMX computers, this would totally skew your future dive plans.

I also heard from some other divers using Nitrox or TMX that it locks up occasionally, so they are using the computer strictly as a backup.

Sure, let me do your diligence for you:
All you've seemed to find is the issue that I stated about the computer locking up upon surfacing after the dive, neither of those say anything about locking up during the dive. I understand this is still a problem but I believe what I said was correct.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2014 at 01:21 AM ----------

The only "knew" info is the increasing list of bugs on the computer. Did I miss something? What else is "knew"? Oh wait, Seb returned (after an elective absence) to announce limited miniscule distribution. Woo.
I apologize for my spelling error, typing a paragraph on an iPhone can be a bit challenging. However, I still don't understand your need to bash on everyone and everything that doesn't agree with you 100%. Yes, I made a single error but you didn't need to mock me for it. Yes, there have been reports of the computer locking. Yes, there is obviously a distributing issue. From the posts of yours that I've read I'm fairly certain that you aren't any sort of programmer or developer, but I can tell you (as someone actually in the field) that I have never seen a program that is perfect on the first try. Everything, even tested programs, have bugs that get worked out once users begin using the program or device. Like I said I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just think that maybe we should lay off the bashing of old info and see how the situation progresses.

All you've seemed to find is the issue that I stated about the computer locking up upon surfacing after the dive, neither of those say anything about locking up during the dive. I understand this is still a problem but I believe what I said was correct.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2014 at 01:21 AM ----------

I apologize for my spelling error, typing a paragraph on an iPhone can be a bit challenging. However, I still don't understand your need to bash on everyone and everything that doesn't agree with you 100%. Yes, I made a single error but you didn't need to mock me for it. Yes, there have been reports of the computer locking. Yes, there is obviously a distributing issue. From the posts of yours that I've read I'm fairly certain that you aren't any sort of programmer or developer, but I can tell you (as someone actually in the field) that I have never seen a program that is perfect on the first try. Everything, even tested programs, have bugs that get worked out once users begin using the program or device. Like I said I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just think that maybe we should lay off the bashing of old info and see how the situation progresses.

Obviously you're not as great a judge of ability as you think. I've been developing SW for over 25 years. I'm one of the original developers of the OS of the SIM card. Worked on development of USB and management of Fiber Optic Networks. It's not the bugs I object to, it's the way that they deal with them. No ownership or responsibility. This is a textbook case of how not to roll out software. I'll bash whenever I think bashing is deserved. You OTOH are not the self-appointed SB cop. They have mods for that.

Obviously you're not as great a judge of ability as you think. I've been developing SW for over 25 years. I'm one of the original developers of the OS of the SIM card. Worked on development of USB and management of Fiber Optic Networks. It's not the bugs I object to, it's the way that they deal with them. No ownership or responsibility. This is a textbook case of how not to roll out software. I'll bash whenever I think bashing is deserved. You OTOH are not the self-appointed SB cop. They have mods for that.

Wow, I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone as unfriendly as you. I'm surprised that you have such a lack of empathy regarding the bugs if you've really been developing software for over 25 years. Obviously the reason that the developers aren't responding on this thread is because you're such an abrasive person that you've pushed them away. No one wants to respond to someone that will ruthlessly attack anything anyone says. Well, I'm definitely not coming back to this thread. I hope I don't have the displeasure of meeting you anywhere else on SB. Sorry for trying to keep it civil when you obviously enjoy personally attacking people.

Have a nice life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2014 at 04:28 PM ----------

Completely off topic from this thread and on a less argumentative subject I'd be curious as to how you helped in SIM card development, OS or otherwise. As far as I'm aware, SIM cards were developed and implemented in Central Germany and then throughout Europe before being brought to the US

Completely off topic from this thread and on a less argumentative subject I'd be curious as to how you helped in SIM card development, OS or otherwise. As far as I'm aware, SIM cards were developed and implemented in Central Germany and then throughout Europe before being brought to the US

Duh...I'm not originally from the US. (I worked for Bull and then Schlumberger). You make a lot of wrong assumptions and not so subtle accusations for someone who claims to be "hurt" by same.

Duh...I'm not originally from the US. You make a lot of assumptions and accusations for someone who claims to be "hurt" by same.
I didn't mean to be accusatory, that was a genuine question of interest. While I don't particularly like your handling of the xDeep situation, as someone who is fairly new to computer science and software development, I do enjoy learning about older technological developments that have been long lasting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom