xcalak or cozumel- diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spent a week in Mahahual September 2016. Did 13 dives with 2 of them being Banco Chinchorro (bucket list). I won't go back. It's too far of a drive, the diving was sub par (even though the reefs are healthy, there aren't very many fish); even Banco Chinchorro was a let down. The boat trip out there was the most exciting part (squall). It's a quaint little place. Just not much to do, and not very many good restaurants. Cozumel is top 5 dive destination in the world. Love it there!

Who did you dive with in Mahahual? If you had a dive guide as I did that knows their way around Banco Chinchorro you can dive some great walls without having other boats & divers all around you.I found the village a huge relief from the hubbub of other tourist/dive locations. But if you like the finer things, ie big resorts, rowdy bars, and McDonalds, don't go down there. It's what San Miguel on Cozumel used to be, a small village but still has a few of the westernized things, AC, restaurants, cold beer, etc.

Has anyone else been to the Chinchoro atoll? That place is a trip!!!! When we went there was a granddaddy lizard around 6 feet long including 3' tail. He wasn't going ANYWHERE and we had to walk around him. It's prehistoric with lizards and crabs everywhere. The guide went to a lagoon and splashed a paddle to attract the salty nearby. Probably not the smartest thing but we enjoyed it. And I forgot my camera!!!!!:(:(

I drove down to Xcalak in May 2016 from Merida. That is not a fun drive. Still worth it.

• I love Xcalak. Yeah, the diving isn't as great as Coz, but the atmosphere and people at XTC are awesome. They have a cool little restaurant too.
  • First dive with XTC (of course I was in a hurry and left my camera) we had two dolphins swim with us about 50 feet down. Most of the crew said they'd never had that happen before.
  • The tarpon dive is really, really cool
  • Xcalak is seriously getting away from it all. Coz is NYC compared to Xcalak. Some people enjoy that experience (and the quiet).
  • Cabana hut/bungalows at Costa de Cocos can generally be had for $50-60 a night in the low season. Very chill and cool place with a restaurant, wifi and their own homemade beer/hooch.
  • There are cheaper options in "town" and much pricier B&B options on the road towards Mahahual.
  • The drive from PDC to Xcalak is more like 4 hours, not 5. They paved the road from Mahahual to Xcalak a couple of years ago, which was a major PITA and probably took an hour. Now it's less than 30.

I drove down to Xcalak in May 2016 from Merida. That is not a fun drive. Still worth it.

• I love Xcalak. Yeah, the diving isn't as great as Coz, but the atmosphere and people at XTC are awesome. They have a cool little restaurant too.
  • First dive with XTC (of course I was in a hurry and left my camera) we had two dolphins swim with us about 50 feet down. Most of the crew said they'd never had that happen before.
  • The tarpon dive is really, really cool
  • Xcalak is seriously getting away from it all. Coz is NYC compared to Xcalak. Some people enjoy that experience (and the quiet).
  • Cabana hut/bungalows at Costa de Cocos can generally be had for $50-60 a night in the low season. Very chill and cool place with a restaurant, wifi and their own homemade beer/hooch.
  • There are cheaper options in "town" and much pricier B&B options on the road towards Mahahual.
  • The drive from PDC to Xcalak is more like 4 hours, not 5. They paved the road from Mahahual to Xcalak a couple of years ago, which was a major PITA and probably took an hour. Now it's less than 30.

I love the drive, love to see what is along the way and we often pull into at least one out of the way village just to see what is there.

I drive way too fast but I don't drive Mahajual to Xcalak in 30 minutes. It is 40 miles on a very narrow tree lined road with corners. You never know what may jump in front of you. I've seen herds of big swine on the road.

Back
Top Bottom