xcalak or cozumel- diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You Guys are awesome!!

Will respond with more thanks/sharing later this weekend!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

I wouldn't worry about the timing, unless you're going in hurricane season. People here grouse about winds and the occasional "norte". Yes, the nortes are real, and they can and do shut down most diving when they hit, but they don't happen all the time and when they do, usually the diving is only closed for a day - yet another reason to plan more than just a couple days diving.
FWIW far many more diving days are lost each year due to nortes than to tropical storms. Hurricanes are a lot worse than nortes, no argument, but the odds of encountering one even in the height of hurricane season are pretty low. It's kind of a wash.

We snorkeled at Paamul, nice bay with a good restaurant.

Gonna put my plug in here for a great reasonably priced hotel in the heart of downtown. I am a bit reluctant to do so, because I don't want it to get too well known. Here is my review on Trip Advisor: Clean, comfortable and quiet - Review of Suites Colonial, Cozumel, Mexico - TripAdvisor

Rates are in the $50 a night range during the time you will be there and that includes a great breakfast at the sister hotel (Casa Mexicana).

Last edited:
We snorkeled at Paamul, nice bay with a good restaurant.

Probably a rumor, but I was told the restaurant is/was owned by a famous Mexican chef and a famous Mexican soccer star. The food was excellent as was the menu. Just a sniff more expensive, so if a burger on Coz or in Playa cost, say, $5US, a burger there would be something like $5.50, or $6.00. My only complaint was that it and the bar closes at 8pm. Chicken on their charcoal grill? No complaint about that. The week I stayed there was during high season, and the place was very quiet. It's one of the few beaches where locals are allowed, so on the weekends it gets busier. Lots of Mexican families, not young people. The groups would be grandparents, their kids and the grandchildren. It was like family day at the beach, not beach party. People there were very friendly. I got to see the inside of many "RVs with palapas built around them", homes.

Great! Thanks again for so much info- So much to think about and take in:)

@nwflyboy Will check out Hotel Cozumel- and also the diving company. It's great to know that the boutique operaters keep groups small:) And also that you can be picked up where you are staying- I think we will feel spoiled:) Also reassuring to get your opinion, info on the cruise ship flow. You are right- after diving we are just going to want to chill for a while:) As for Tulum.. will think about it.. don't think we will want to spend the $$$ to stay on the beach.. that is what we would go for- maybe though we will stay a few nights in Tulum town and visit the beach.. will see.. and will go to the south end..

It's funny cause in Hawaii we don't stay by beaches at all- just lava rock- lots of reefs and we love it.. snorkel every day (we go to the beaches once or twice over 2 weeks- about a 90 minute drive from where we stay).. so I don't know why I want to go to the beach in Mexico so much (maybe its just because its the Carribean Sea?).

Thanks also for the ruin tips.. will take a look and see what fits and flows- some driving is ok- too much- Nope - So probably Northern Route- or maybe Coba and Northern Route :)
And excited to swim in the cenotes.. and eat wonderful food.

We are flying into Cancun for sure (haven't booked our flights yet- but can get a non stop there at a good price). It will be easy enough to get to Cozumel. Thank you so much - And enjoy your time in Mexico! I can't wait!

@nodakdive
I did hear of Paamul- it looks like they are all booked for April.. But will keep looking- something may open up. Room prices have gone up a bit too- which I don't mind paying a bit more- but Tulum beaches prices are insane :)

@Trailboss123 THanks for the hotel info will check it out:)

You all have been so helpful. Thank you so much for your time!!

Gonna put my plug in here for a great reasonably priced hotel in the heart of downtown. I am a bit reluctant to do so, because I don't want it to get too well known. Here is my review on Trip Advisor: Clean, comfortable and quiet - Review of Suites Colonial, Cozumel, Mexico - TripAdvisor

Rates are in the $50 a night range during the time you will be there and that includes a great breakfast at the sister hotel (Casa Mexicana).

Who did you dive with during this trip?

Actually I believe we dove with Blue XT Sea perhaps 10 years ago - our last trip to Cozumel - it was run by some really sharp/organized girl. Good divemasters (at that time). We actually had some crazy dives. Dove steel 100s.

We have spent some time at Xcalak. The most memorable dive was out in the middle of no where - let's say 80 feet - we sat there and waited for the Tarpon to arrive. And when they arrived they REALLY arrived perhaps a thousand of them all around us. Turns out they return to the same spot - every day - at the same time. That was an experience. Xcalak had the largest mosquitoes I have ever seen in my life. We stayed in a very nice B&B - communal meals, friendly people, generators. Not much to do except dive, read, eat and sleep.

If you want to mix up your Cozumel diving with something on the mainland - consider the stretch of coast between Puerto Aventuras and Tulum. Tankah Bay area. Very very lush life (just across the channel from Cozumel) - but you will not see another person in the water.

Spent a week in Mahahual September 2016. Did 13 dives with 2 of them being Banco Chinchorro (bucket list). I won't go back. It's too far of a drive, the diving was sub par (even though the reefs are healthy, there aren't very many fish); even Banco Chinchorro was a let down. The boat trip out there was the most exciting part (squall). It's a quaint little place. Just not much to do, and not very many good restaurants. Cozumel is top 5 dive destination in the world. Love it there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom