Wyndham questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, this feels weird in so many ways.... not even 5 days back from an awesome trip to Bonaire we're looking at returning to Coz in the next couple of months mainly because of some pretty sweet deals going on specifically at Wyndham. What feels more weird is that I have questions regarding Wyndham whereas with previous bookings, there was never a doubt where we would stay which was at my beloved FA. So I'm feeling like a traitor again but it looks like the Wyndham would be much more better suited for our now 3 and half year old daughter. And for all the AI naysayers, we just did the non-AI thing in Bonaire with a young child and I ain't doing it again... EVER! We also really missed having a beach for her enjoyment in Bonaire which has been something lacking at FA as well.

So I don't know much about Wyndham except they took it over from Reef Club, spiffied it up a bit, added an adults only section and charge diver's to be picked up by other ops. So my Questions:

IIRC, as RC, they had some pretty bad food issues even for AI standards. Has the food imporved?

It seemed like since Wilma and my last trip to Coz last May that they only had one working pier that was a good haul north of Wyndham. Google maps also confirms this but I'm not sure as to the date of Google's satellite photos. So recent reports here talk about a new concrete pier that SDS built. Is this pier more closely situated to the resort... more specifically the Wyndham part?

Are the gear lockers available to all guests whether they dive with SDS or not? Having been to Coz so many times, I obviously have a choice dive op which incidentally isn't SDS. Sorry.

They have water slides? Looks like they reside on the Sabor part of the property which is adults only. Are children forbidden to not use the water slides?

Anyone have experience with the kids club or babysitting?

Choice building or room to request?

Do they serve tap beer and if so what brand?

Any idea why it's so cheap to stay there? I mean cheaper than lower rated resorts without an AI plan!

How much for a cab to town?

I think that about it for now. Thanks in advance.

I can't find a reason to ever recommend this property over the others in the same price range, but I do know some people seem to think it an acceptable deal. Re the Wyndham name now that's just to try & escape the reputation it got as the Reef Club. Wyndham simply leases their name to the place for a fee, and from my research Whyndham does'n have much if any say in how it's run. Ownership hasn't changed in recent years, just the name.

I have stayed at the Wyndham before and after Reef club. I had a good time both trips. 1st time by myself did 4 dives a day with SDS. That was right after the Hurican and the dive lockers wern't finished so I had to pack my gear all around. The last time with my wife we stayed at the new part adults only and yes the water slides are for only the adults. There is also a great resturent on that side. The rooms were great on both trips never had a problem.The dive op is still great. All the dive lockers were full so I would just put it in the dip tank and they would hang it up and store it and have it out and ready to go in the morning. That included my pony. The only thing I took back to the room was my camera. One plus to SDS is they are close to the dive sites. so the runs are shorter at night they dive right in front on Sanfransco reef. In the morning there is a resturant open next to the dive op. So you walk up get some food then go dive. For what I have seen the kids had there own swim up bar. Also there are activities all day around the pools. Cabs in to towm are $10. If your going to towm to shop try to go on Sunday no cruise ships. there can be up to 5 a day the rest of the week very busy.
I hope this helps have fun

Hi Josh, My trip to Wyndham was July of 2008. My friend and I left our hubby's at home for a last minute 5 day trip. With the experience we had I will say I would return to the Wyndham under certain conditions.

One of the conditions would have to be a HUGE DEAL. I stress HUGE deal because it would have to be a significant $avings to get me to go there again. If staying in the NON-Adult portion, I would also need to make provisions for meals.

The AI meal offerings were THE worst food I have ever experienced. It was literally the same food for breakfast, lunch and dinner..everyday. If I ever would go back I would sign up for dinner reservations for the restaurant for every evening immediately upon arrival/check in. At least then there would be an option to the buffet. I also would grab a hamburger when the grill was open to save for later. Even it meant eating the burger cold, it would be better than what was being served in the AI buffet. If eating in the AI buffet, go early...seating was horrible and as the night went on, service became worse. However, I do need to say the poor service was really not the fault of the wait staff. I think they were really trying. The problem I picked up on was management. Unless things have changed tremendously, I would definitely stop @ MEGA/Chedrau and pick up food and a cooler. I would also pack my travel kitchen to cook my own meals. (one burner electric unit, small tote containing a boyscout cooking pack, travel condiment packets and misc. mini size cooking utensils.)

We did not have a choice of rooms on our deal. We were assigned a room in a building which was about 3 back from the water. It was actually an adequate room for our needs. Slightly worn/dated, but not bad.

We dived with Blue XT SEA, and were picked up at the big pier. It was a short walk but really no real problem. There is an extra charge for the use of that pier. I do not know any information regarding lockers.

As far as activities for your tot. The pool was OK. It was green one of the days with odd floating things in it....???. The beach was OK..sand, chairs, water. We used the kayak one time and had fun. Childcare...I don't know any info.

Tap Beer?? I think it was tap beer, don't know what kind. And we had to wait in line for water. Drinks were watered down and not that good. Although, since we were diving, it didn't matter as we do not overindulge while diving anyway.

Cab fare was $12.00 one way to town. This could get pricey. We went into town twice only. Once during the stay and then on our way to the airport for lunch. After eating the AI food, lunch @ Sorrisi's was an out of body experience. :)

Overall,my friend and I enjoyed our Wyndham stay for what it was worth. We had a quick,inexpensive, run away from home weekend, went diving, sat in the sun, girl talked and ate horrible food. I think it will always be one of those crazy fun things we did. :) IF the deal is FANTASTIC, then, I would go again....BUT...it would have to be a really good deal.

Regardless of where you end up at, you and your family will have a wonderful time. OH, BTW, glad you had a good Bonaire trip :) Sue

Hi, I just got back from a 6-night stay in the Sabor section of the Wyndham on 3/11. We chose the hotel as we got a fantastic deal on it through cheapcarribean.com which included airfare.

Food: the best restaurant at the Wyndham is Mosaique, which is only available to Sabor guests (which I understand is not an option for you). However, both the buffet and a snack bar that turns into a Mexican restaurant at night are decent, and have great ocean views...definitely something better than the previous experiences described above. We never ate at Roberto's as we were not able to get reservations (something to keep in mind).

Pool: While there are two nice pools for everyone, the one in the Sabor section is the best as it incorporates several waterslides. I believe it is off-limits to kids (IMO, it is somewhat cruel to have the best pool at a hotel be adults-only).

Alcohol: The mixed drinks with a few exceptions are weak. The beer is XX light, which is passable. The white and red wines (only one brand served) were marginal. However, you can get alcohol on the rocks if you're really looking for a guaranteed buzz.

Diving: There is a pier right next door at the Aura. I dived with Dive with Martin who picked me up there every day. I believe there was a small fee (?$2) for using it.

Kids club: They do have a building that is a kid's club on the resort...not sure how often its used.

Cab to town: $15 each way. We rented a VW bug convertible ($30-50/day through in-town places) which we felt was worth it.

Overall, the resort does have a luxurious feel, even if the food/alcohol are overall mediocre to decent (esp the unlimited chips with fresh salsa and guac -- very nice with a cold XX light after a dive). At the prices they are offering (esp a package with airfare) I would say it is worth it.

Hi, I just got back from a 6-night stay in the Sabor section of the Wyndham on 3/11. We chose the hotel as we got a fantastic deal on it through cheapcarribean.com which included airfare.

Food: the best restaurant at the Wyndham is Mosaique, which is only available to Sabor guests (which I understand is not an option for you). However, both the buffet and a snack bar that turns into a Mexican restaurant at night are decent, and have great ocean views...definitely something better than the previous experiences described above. We never ate at Roberto's as we were not able to get reservations (something to keep in mind).

Your food review pertains to a Sabor side dining/food only...yes? Sue

Your food review pertains to a Sabor side dining/food only...yes? Sue

Mosaique is the only Sabor-only restaurant. The buffet and snack bar/Mexican restaurant are open to anybody. The food at these two restaurants are decent, but you would probably want to supplement it with Roberto's if you can get a reservation or a restaurant in town.

Thanks for the info. There was some talk of new management at Wyndham, not certain. It is a positive sign if the food improved, that is good news. Sue

Cheryl and I stayed at the Sabor section our last 4 days after carnival. Returned march 1st. The food was good but when we were in the mail hotel section I would say no better than average. We dove with SDS for 3 days, Dive Paridise picked us up the 1st day there with no dock fee but we did see the sign. We got picked up on the wood pier (AURA). Overall it was a good value for us but with Kids I don't know that it would be the AI of choice. We had the bid waterslide outside our room and it is adult only. Glad we had the second room in and not the first. Overall we have stayed at Iberostar and Hotel Coz, with kids I would probably go to Iberostar.

Ok, this feels weird in so many ways.... not even 5 days back from an awesome trip to Bonaire we're looking at returning to Coz in the next couple of months mainly because of some pretty sweet deals going on specifically at Wyndham. What feels more weird is that I have questions regarding Wyndham whereas with previous bookings, there was never a doubt where we would stay which was at my beloved FA. So I'm feeling like a traitor again but it looks like the Wyndham would be much more better suited for our now 3 and half year old daughter. And for all the AI naysayers, we just did the non-AI thing in Bonaire with a young child and I ain't doing it again... EVER! We also really missed having a beach for her enjoyment in Bonaire which has been something lacking at FA as well.

So I don't know much about Wyndham except they took it over from Reef Club, spiffied it up a bit, added an adults only section and charge diver's to be picked up by other ops. So my Questions:

IIRC, as RC, they had some pretty bad food issues even for AI standards. Has the food imporved?

It seemed like since Wilma and my last trip to Coz last May that they only had one working pier that was a good haul north of Wyndham. Google maps also confirms this but I'm not sure as to the date of Google's satellite photos. So recent reports here talk about a new concrete pier that SDS built. Is this pier more closely situated to the resort... more specifically the Wyndham part?

Are the gear lockers available to all guests whether they dive with SDS or not? Having been to Coz so many times, I obviously have a choice dive op which incidentally isn't SDS. Sorry.

They have water slides? Looks like they reside on the Sabor part of the property which is adults only. Are children forbidden to not use the water slides?

Anyone have experience with the kids club or babysitting?

Choice building or room to request?

Do they serve tap beer and if so what brand?

Any idea why it's so cheap to stay there? I mean cheaper than lower rated resorts without an AI plan!

How much for a cab to town?

I think that about it for now. Thanks in advance.

The food is great if you're at any of the many restaurants besides the buffet by the main pool. The catch is, you need to make reservations as soon as you get there or they'll tell you the restaurants are all booked. I can't stress this enough. Make reservations for every night as soon as you possible can! You do NOT want to do the buffet except for a quick breakfast before diving or a quick snack at lunch time when you get back. One thing, try the calamari! It's awsome!

The Sabor section has a guard posted that will not let anyone under 18 with a Sabor bracelet in so sorry to say, the kiddo can't use the water slide.

Wyndham now has several piers. The cement one actually belongs to SDS and they will charge you to use it. It's at the north end of the property and a bit of a walk around narrow deck paths if you're carrying heavy bulky dive gear. There are a couple other wooden piers in the middle. A year ago we used the one in front of the Aura section to be picked up and no one tried to charge us, but I hear that may have changed. I have no idea about any fee for the SDS equipment lockers. We didn't use them since Deep Blue was picking us up at the wooden pier.

Oddly, the kids pool was the only one with a swim up bar that actually had a bar tender at it when we were there. I would expect the Sabor adults only pool bar to be attended. They did have a bar tender at the front part of the bar but you had to get out of the water and walk over to order your drink.

I can't help you on the beer selection. I always ordered rum punch or margaritas. I can tell you it's best if you order 2 drinks at a time so you don't have to wait in a long line for a refill since the bars are under staffed.

Wyndham is a really beautiful well kept property but they get a little cheap on staffing it. I'm sure you'll have a great time despite the little annoyances.

P.S. Good luck getting a pool chair. People go out before the sun to put a towel on them to reserve them, and then they go away and keep the chair tied up all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom