WTB--Scubapro metal air barrel upgrade kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your LDS had rather sell you a new 2nd stage than swap the air barrel out and readjust the breathing. They also don't care if you have dry breathing or produce a little moisture from condensation on the cold metal air barrel. Those who have been diving for greater than 40 years remember the difference and I can also tell you that my wife prefers her metal air barrel. Also, the plastic ones have an issue of cracking over time. Do as you wish but if my LDS didn't or wouldn't get what I am willing to purchase, then I would look elsewhere. The best time to make the swap is when having the regulator serviced anyway since it requires a complete breakdown of the 2nd stage and YES, the air barrel is almost always the only part you need. The rest should interchange.

My LDS said I didn't need it. Boy its taking a long time to service it.

Rusty is telling you the truth. You are dealing with a retailer/reseller that wants your money but does not want to deal with you on a personal level. The comparisons between the 2 are subtle but quite noticeable. Also, I can tell you that part of my 2K+ divers have been with it and the remainder without the metal barrel and neither I nor my wife will dive without a metal air barrel if at all possible.

If it is taking a long time for the service, ask whether it is in-house service or not. I'll wager if it is taking more than 5-7 days, it is being sent in to a service center or manufacturer (unless there is a parts issue). That also gives me a good idea of what type of shop with which you are dealing.

You asked the question and got the answer from actual users. I'd make a choice of where and with whom to spend my dollars from there.

Back
Top Bottom