WTB--Scubapro metal air barrel upgrade kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your point... freezing or dry mouth? Does your point relate to buying the correct fitting part and the OP?

predominantly freeze potential, but.....

does your opinion of no reason to change them apply either?

I'm in Australia :) My G500, that I purchased second-hand, has the metal barrel. It used the 'old' balance adjustment that screwed onto the barrel, rather than the newer version that pushes on and engages with the lug. Hence, the barrel did not need or have the lug. I wanted to upgrade to all my s600 (and equivalent) have the same balance adjustment for servicing, hence 'added' the lug to the barrel.

The point of my post was that Jchance must be careful in asking for "metal air barrels like the old G series had" as, in my experience, these did not have the lug and hence will not directly work with a new balance adjustment config.

Tbar I should have been more specific, the original G500 was made in the US and had a metal air barrel, this model has the Scubpro S in black. It was replaced by the Italian-made G500 which, had the Scubapro S in grey, and was the ancestor of the S600 (same reg with new cosmetics). About 3 years ago SP switched back to using a metal barrel in the S600. This metal barrel will fit older S600s, Italian-made G500s, S550s, S555s, and G250 HP.

After 40+ years diving--I'm a warm water snob now. Only < 65 degrees when necessary!

Would that air barrel kit basically upgrade the s600 version "B" to a "N"? or would you still need the parts identified as #43 of the attached?

Attachments

• 11-600-000 S600 rev N.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 369
Would that air barrel kit basically upgrade the s600 version "B" to a "N"? or would you still need the parts identified as #43 of the attached?
Assuming that the new metal air barrel has the lug on it (similar to the image you posted) then both the old and new balance chamber will fit. The old screws on the new pushes on.If you want to upgrade the balance chamber (as per #43) you will need to have the newer barrel with the lug, or modify the old barrel and add a lug. This can be moded by gluing the lug spacer used on the G250 and provided in the service kit.

Thank for the reply. We have one s600 with the screw type barrel four with the push type. Was hoping to find a way to upgrade the screw type. I'll probably just end up flipping that one on ebay.

There is an upgrade kit to go to the N knob assembly, but that isn't what I am talking about. The part is #24 and it is a metal instead of plastic air barrel. The ONLY advantage is that it gets a little condensation during breathing that give you a wetter mouth. And yes, it can cause freezing in cold water but I DO NOT have to do that any more!!!

There is an upgrade kit to go to the N knob assembly, but that isn't what I am talking about. The part is #24 and it is a metal instead of plastic air barrel. The ONLY advantage is that it gets a little condensation during breathing that give you a wetter mouth. And yes, it can cause freezing in cold water but I DO NOT have to do that any more!!!

That's what you get ordering 11.602.020:

L1110760.jpg

Back
Top Bottom