Wrinkles March '06 Dive Planning Thread - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reservations confirmed. Heading out on the 4:15pm Friday and staying at the Hermosa and unfortunately leaving on Saturday on the 7:30pm.

And if it rains, who cares. I think some of us might get wet anyway:wink: . See y'all this weekend.

Phil

TeqP:
And if it rains, who cares. I think some of us might get wet anyway:wink: .
What!?!? We might get WET!

All bets are OFF!

Water will damage all of my nice shiny SCUBA gear. :D

Another site to check is the weather underground, which I've found to be a bit more accurate, at least in cloud cover (which I use as a pilot from time to time).

My latest plan is to try to get over to Avalon for a couple of dives Sunday morning. Arrival and departure times depend on current negotiations with the spouse and lad (who may come along).

Here's a question I don't see addressed in the Catalina sticky or the notorious nitrox thread. If you rent nitrox tanks in Avalon, does that mean picking them up downtown and getting them (hand carrying? bring your own wheelie?) to the point? I know they don't fill nitrox at the point, so you either convey two tanks from town to the point, or walk into town to exchange them between dives during your surface interval? Also, are we only talking aluminum 80's, or is a steel 100 rental in the realm of the possible? I'd love not to have to schlep a tank on the Express, but I do profess a fondness for (a) steel, (b) 100's and (c) that great oxygen-enriched pepper-upper ...

Frank O:
My latest plan is to try to get over to Avalon for a couple of dives Sunday morning. Arrival and departure times depend on current negotiations with the spouse and lad (who may come along).

Here's a question I don't see addressed in the Catalina sticky or the notorious nitrox thread. If you rent nitrox tanks in Avalon, does that mean picking them up downtown and getting them (hand carrying? bring your own wheelie?) to the point? I know they don't fill nitrox at the point, so you either convey two tanks from town to the point, or walk into town to exchange them between dives during your surface interval? Also, are we only talking aluminum 80's, or is a steel 100 rental in the realm of the possible? I'd love not to have to schlep a tank on the Express, but I do profess a fondness for (a) steel, (b) 100's and (c) that great oxygen-enriched pepper-upper ...

I have my own cart and will be schlepping my cylinders back and forth. I will be diving doubles and depending on my gas consumption and the consumption of my buddy I expect to get either two or three dives on a single fill. I would NOT want to hand carry cylinders of any sort from the point to ScubaLuv.

Mark Vlahos

radinator:
Another site to check is the weather underground, which I've found to be a bit more accurate, at least in cloud cover (which I use as a pilot from time to time).

Hey, you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows!

Frank O:

Best to call SCUBA Luv (310-510-2350) as they are the only shop that fills Nitrox.

I don't believe CDS has 100's but they do have steel. SCUBA Luv may have 100's and steel (they are a bit more tech oriented than CDS).

Holy Mackeral, people!!!
We've got 27 head of ScubaBoardDivers heading our way for Saturday!!!

That's a horde! A massive grouping! Critical mass!

We'll need name tags, and unique dangley-charms on our water bottles!!

We'll have to dive in shifts so we don't clog up the stairs on exit and entry!!

Buddy pairs will get separated on the tarmac, like crying children in the streets of Tokyo, fleeing Godzilla while looking back over their shoulders!!!

It'll be fun!!

BYOK :)

Claudette
(I'll be the one in black with a long hose...:D )

27? Holy mackerel. I should pull out my tattered M&B wetsuit in honor of the occasion... but I won't since the water is about 55 F surface in the Dive Park!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom