Wrinkles December '04 Dive and BBQ planning thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It felt like 80 degrees at 11pm (Saturday night) total tee shirt weather, Santa Ana winds help keep us toasty........along with that 12 pack. Nice meeting everyone that was camping Saturday night.

ShakaZulu:
Dang, I hate to hear about people having fun, and I wasn't involved...........sounds like you guys had a great time.
Sunday may have been even better than Jim's description!! Hot sun, warm sage-scented breezes, glassy turquoise ocean, small set waves (2.5 feet) and looong smooth lulls, underwater sunrays dancing into 20-25 viz on the outer reef rocks, brilliantly colored gorgonia and feather-duster worms EveryWhere, and an octopus at every outcropping.
And the wonderful people...willing to dive with just a few gentle nudges :boings:
Thanks, Jim and Christian for a fantastic, octopus-filled first dive. Thanks SBDiver and DesertCamel for fresh fish and urchin roe. Thanks Myrna for morning hot chocolate (kept me warm all the way!), and thanks Roger and Tina for a great lunch and even better company. Thomas and Christian: I am soooooo glad you wanted to dive again...what fun and a perfect sunset. Good to meet you, MikeNY2LA...we'll connect and dive again soon.
We, the ridiculously happy and comfortable December Wrinkles divers, thought kind and sweet thoughts about all of you that we missed seeing today....and can't wait to see you and dive with you in January.
Be Happy and Be There :07:
Claudette

Good to meet some of you today. Sorry I had to scurry off so fast, I was a little late with previous plans and had to get back asap as we had to be somewhere by 7... whew... we JUST made it in time! :) Thanks headhunter for being so patient with me and my new equipment, I will be SURE to get more weights since I obvously do NOT have enough to get my floaty butt down! :)

HBDiveGirl:
Sunday may have been even better than Jim's description!! Hot sun, warm sage-scented breezes, glassy turquoise ocean, small set waves (2.5 feet) and looong smooth lulls, underwater sunrays dancing into 20-25 viz on the outer reef rocks, brilliantly colored gorgonia and feather-duster worms EveryWhere, and an octopus at every outcropping.

Yeah. What she said... :D

There was one point in our dive where I happened to look up and saw a school of smelt (long, silvery fish?) above us, and sun rays streaming thru. So I motioned to Christian, and he motioned to Claudette, and we turned over and just lay on our backs looking up at the this incredible sight. Hard to describe, though I'll bet Claudette probably could.

This was one of those weekends where I'll be riding on a high from it all week. Wow.

mccabejc:
This was one of those weekends where I'll be riding on a high from it all week. Wow.
My work-to-flashback ratio is running about 1:4 this morning. (shhhh....Don't tell my boss or she'll put me on quarter pay!)
Ahhhhhhh....those fish! Blue-gray silhouettes swirling against an undulating silver-gold ceiling, and my eyes jumping reflexively to the strobe-like flash of individuals startling and turning. Kinda like that....only better...floating...breathing...and breathing again....

(OK, now the ratio's about 1:6...sigh...)
Claudette
sigh.gif

Well... what they said!

The weather could not have been more cooperative... not even on a mid-summer day!

The vis on Saturday was not as good. It was only about 10 - 15 feet with it dropping to about 5 closer to shore. Still great in my book though.

Sunday morning, we had great vis! On that dive with Jim and Claudette, I could clearly see single strands of kelp at surface when I was at 37 feet. Looking around at everything around us we had a comfortable 35 feet of vis during most of our dive. Only at the end of the dive and closer to shore did it drop a bit.

Our last dive on Sunday had about 15 to 20 foot vis. MikeNYtoLA just had some minor gear adjustments that needed to be made. One involved hunting for the biggest rocks. Brand new wetsuits are always a bit "floaty" and even more so when they are 2 layers thick! :D

Mike and I had a great time and I want to congratulate him for doing such a great job going though the surf on what was his first beach dive. He went in and out like a pro! I look forward to diving with you again soon Mike.

We missed many of you this weekend and look forward to seeing you at the January Wrinkles dive.

Christian

It sounds like you guys had a great time, I really wish I could have came up there. Where did you do the 3 dives? Were they at the same location or at 3 different locations? I know you guys did at least one dive off the cove to the left of lifeguard tower #3. (and where was the dive with the 37ft vis?)

Scott

scottfiji:
and where was the dive with the 37ft vis?
That vis was straight out from Lifeguard tower #2 and maybe a bit east.

All of our dives were done by entering the cove directly to the west of Lifeguard tower #2. After looking around at the different places from shore, this looked like the calmest and clearest water.

Christian

Who was reading A Painted House by John Grisham this weekend?

Christian

headhunter:
Who was reading A Painted House by John Grisham this weekend?

Christian

That was Tina book she forgot it but said she did not want it anymore lol

Once again it was great to see you guys and gals again and the weather was sooo nice on Sunday when we were there. I am sorry to say that I do not have many pics of the event since I was bbq the whole time I was there and I told my kids to take pictures but when I got home to download them,I found out they only took a few.

Follow the link below for my little report and all the pics we did take.

http://extremedivingnews.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2388#2388

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom