Would You Use A Ponypak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bill,

It's good to hear that the rigging will be a separate component.

As I said above, I think the rigging has a potential market both in the recreational detail market as the training/rental market.

As for the tank, I personally think it may turn out to be a mistake to have designed a proprietary 1st stage/tank valve of this kind. Perhaps it has a market in military or industrial applications that I'm not familiar with but for (recreational) divers, it's far and away the weakest point, imho. I would go further and suggest that as opposed to a selling point it is actually a reason to NOT want to buy this system. Aside from potential hassles, it lacks flexibility and it lacks the ability for customization (putting your own reg on it, for example) which I believe are elements that will not appeal to recreational divers.

Thankfully the marketability of the harness will not suffer from that.

As for the clips. I agree that this is bit of splitting hairs. I agree with your analysis that the risk of a line slipping the gate is minimal given the orientation and position and the advantage of the larger gate clip can be a positive feature depending on the gloves you're wearing.

Good luck with the launch.

R..

What's the cost????...

Sorry, I may have missed it, what will the PonyPak with a 19 cu ft cylinder cost? I

What's the price???

Our "big public showing" was at DEMA last November, and Underwater Intervention last week in New Orleans. This is our 5th year at OWU.

So, after all that exposure over the years.....

"How much cost this?"

(Or are you simply wanting to sell the patent?) I've seen similar marketing for all kinds of dive gear over the years at DEMA and also being shown at retail dive shows to generate buzz...looking for a manufacturer to buy it from the inventor. That's how most inventors really operate, they create it, sell it off, and move on to their next great idea. Retail, to paraphrase Rain Man, sucks.

John Kranhouse from HydroOptix, another very useful (but "out there") product even did some limited runs, showed up at all the events, but I always assumed he was waiting for what every inventor wants- a corporate buy out from, I dunno, General Dynamics. Maybe a fat government contract for starters what with having that NSN number in hand?

I see myself using that PonyPak to check props or clean the pool grate. I have two 30cf tanks cable tied to antique Aqua Lung plastic back packs. Kind of clunky. I've even cobbled my version of your harness portion of your invention together for real-deal tactical and PSD types to consider. Not much interest.

I made my similar harness from quick release aircraft/racing harness belts. This worked really well with HSA divers. Did you ever consider just first selling the harness only? You prolly have access to bunches of the straps all sewn up- but mass producing the proprietary regulators... That can come later?

I'm not seeing this particular question being automatically responded to (3 times) nor does the website mention dollars.

How much?

Last edited:
I thought I saw a price in one of the videos. $799

I think the Zeagle system, which is essentially the same thing without the silly clips, is about $499 or so. Maybe the extra $300 gets you their random gas block? Not sure why anyone would opt for that over a quality block like an Omniswivel or a Swagelok...but whatever he can sell, I guess.

?..//...

I'm not seeing this particular question being automatically responded to (3 times) nor does the website mention dollars.

How much?

Post # 66

Retailers should be able to offer the "street price" with first & second stage for the Sport Version...$499.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 04:51 PM ----------

Bill, I appreciate your response to my post but I am afraid I remain unconvinced. Fortunately, I am far from your target consumer.

PS on my post on the pricing. That will be with a 13cft tank. For a 19cft tank, it will be a bit higher. For tanks larger that 19cft, we are still working on the pricing. We will announce it before, it is delivered to retail.

Last edited:
I think the Zeagle system, which is essentially the same thing without the silly clips, is about $499 or so. Maybe the extra $300 gets you their random gas block? Not sure why anyone would opt for that over a quality block like an Omniswivel or a Swagelok...but whatever he can sell, I guess.

Dr. Lector.

I see you still struggle with civility in your posts .. and accuracy in this one. Oh, well......

PonyPak does not require the user to purchase expensive equipment he already owns (BC). PonyPak is not the main air supply, it provides redundancy, is deployable to another diver, is switchable to side mount (and back) in the water, and also tank mountable. RD is none of that. PonyPak can do everything RD can (with your own BC).

If you want a Rapid Diver - and trust the professional skills, industry knowledge and servicing qualifications of Amazon.com ... you can buy it dirt cheap - for $1,042.00

Amazon.com : ZEAGLE RAPID DIVER RAZOR SYST. Zeagle Rapid Diver BC/BCD w/ Nitrox 1st & 2nd Stage Regulator & Tank for Rescue, Military, & More BC BCD Scuba Dive Diving Diver : Diving Buoyancy Compensators : Sports & Outdoors

If you want to “Dive with a Rapid Diver" that has no tank, no 1st stage, no LP hose, no 2nd stage and no pressure gauge (and you believe in the industry qualifications of Amazon.com ….. it is a steal at $558.00

Amazon.com : Rapid Diver System w/ inflator and QD Hose : Sports & Outdoors

But, if you really want the "top of the line" Rapid Diver ... "pro" and know that Amazon.com "is the cat's meow" when it comes to dive industry expertise ... you can still get it for song .... at $2,200.

Amazon.com : Aqua Lung Rapid Diver PRO System : Sports & Outdoors

However, if you are unsure of Amazon.com’s industry credentials .... you can purchase from your local retail dive store for about 30% more, for each version. Service and qualifications are not free.

Now……your problem with PonyPak at $499, is what?
============

As to the "gas block." As good as Omniswivel truly is (I am personal friends with the owners) and Swagelock ... . neither can do what PonyPak’s four-port gas block can:

Specifically: allow two full-face-masked diver's to "buddy-breathe," from each other’s main tank .... with no one removing their mask.

No other block can do that. They're short one port. Is that a really important safety feature for diver’s with FFM? You bet!

Remember the movie Sanctum? And the girl diver at the end? She would have lived, had they been diving with a PonyPak (PSD/Redundant)….
============

Lastly, on the subject of "unanswered questions," which appears to be your perennial issue ..... a day ago, I asked you a very simple question, which you ignored.

Specifically, are you a licensed doctor? If so, in what? By whom? Where?

With several thousand posts, surely there are more than a few "Inquiring minds who want to know" ..... who "the man behind the curtain" really is.

Heeeeeere Toto!
Toto.jpg

Doc

To you, and to all those who I missed answering the question before and after I went off line... I apologize. The street price for the sport version, with 13cft will should be $499. With 19cft will be a bit higher. For larger than 19cft, we are still working on the price structure. The PSD (Redundant version with gas block, QD's and hoses for tying redundancy into a FFM) the price will be about $1,800. The Umbilical will be substantially more.

Your comments about most inventor's is correct. Most want to move onto their next creation. PonyPak is not that. I have personal a goal to achieve with this, hence the reason for my investing 7 years full time. The patents are not for sale (although one major manufacturer offered to buy PonyPak, three years ago. I passed). We are in the tooling stage. Most components are being manufactured by third parties, with PonyPak doing the final assembly, testing and fulfillment. Most production and all assembly/packaging is US.

I appreciate your questions, suggestions and insights. Thank you.

William (Bill) Messner
www.PonyPak.com

---------- Post added February 26th, 2015 at 02:09 AM ----------

Hi Diver0001

Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it.

Re the integrated valve/1st stages, your thoughts are valid. When we first installed them on prototypes, some people raised the same question. But after they saw quality, with the pricing - (less parts, less cost), reduced size/mass, they understood our logic.

PonyPak's primary focus is for the sport market, the majority of whom did not have bottles and regs. Most "first timers" want a simple "plug & play" solution, at the lowest price possible. This design achieves that. Yet we still provide any customization wanted, starting with the harness only.

Thank you for the courtesy in your comments.

Regards,
William (Bill) Messner
www.PonyPak.com

[FONT=&amp]The only “buddy” who will never leave your side….. is YOU! [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Give your "buddy" the equipment he needs ... to save your life![/FONT]

Hi Diver0001

Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it.

He's Dutch.

It's like the European version of a Canadian.

It's just how he is. Nice.

Don't read much more than that into it.

The good Doctor Lecter is a Murican, just like the most of your (actual, real) potential buyers that live in a country where people don't ice skate or bike to work.

.... I have personal a goal to achieve with this, hence the reason for my investing 7 years full time. We are in the tooling stage.

Rich wife? Me too.

So if you are "in the tooling stage", and that's pretty vague, this could be another 1 to 3 in "pony years".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom