Would This work as a travel luggage for my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like it weighs about 10 pounds. That's 10 pounds of gear you can't pack if you want to avoid overweight surcharges. It might not be a problem for you, but it does seem as though most of the posters on SB who are struggling with baggage weight are using hard-shell, rolling suitcases.

If you're not concerned about weight, the only dimension of luggage that's ever been relevant to me is the interior length compared to the length of my fins. If your fins will fit in it, it's likely everything else will.

Out of curiosity, though, what elements of your gear are you concerned about being crushed?

Sure, why not? Difficult to get a hard case weighing less. Even most big roller bags are about as heavy. I use one suitcase of polycarbonite, about the same weight. The only dive gear that goes in it is my regs, lights, camera misc, and anything else I'm worried about breakage and security. Also clothes and such.

The bulk of the dive gear goes into a sturdy REI duffle bag that weighs about 2.5 lbs. Difficult to imagine that anyone at airport would want to rip off my old suits, gloves, boots, or even my backplate rig.DOn't see much market for such.

i guess knowing how rediculous some airlines are with their baggage... i just don't want anything to "break".... not that anything i'm putting in it is fragile.... fins/regs/bp/w...mask snorkel, knife... i guess i should weigh all that stuff before buying a 10lb case....

Thoughts on how I pack my stuff (in a soft duffel bag)... I tuck my masks into the foot pockets of my fins. They're OMS Slipstreams, so they're pretty solid in terms of mask protection. Wing comes off the BP and gets rolled up. Regs are in a padded regulator bag and usually in between other soft stuff, like the wetsuit. I generally pack the hard stuff (BP, fins) around the edges of the bag. The whole thing weighs about 37 pounds dry. YMMV :)

I wouldn't trust the latches on a hard case. But with the added protection of luggage straps...maybe :wink:

I have 3 Flite 30 inch Samsonites. They are great for any kind of traveling, including dive trips. Have no idea why you wouldn't trust the latches on a Samsonite.

All my gear fits in one, excluding regs and camera that I have in carry-on.

I have a rolling duffle and pack my fins along the sides, my BC on the bottom and I put the regulator in a reg bag and pack that on one of the ends. I pack my wetsuit on top of that. I put my dive light inside of my booties. I carry on my mask and computer.

I have never had any trouble with things being crushed or lost. I do make a packing list that I keep in the bag and a copy in my backpack that I carry on. I also have my address on the inside of the bag and two luggage tags on the outside in case one gets torn off. (It has happened). I photograph my bag which was helpful when my bag was delayed and arrived two days later. I had to file a claim for misplaced luggage before leaving the airport. Since my bag is black like so many others, I took it to a car painter who airbrushed a shark on it. The bag is 9 years old and holding up well. it's discontinued Dakota luggage which was the entry level line for Tumi.

are you able to fit all your gear with it without going over in weight?

I have 3 Flite 30 inch Samsonites. They are great for any kind of traveling, including dive trips. Have no idea why you wouldn't trust the latches on a Samsonite.

All my gear fits in one, excluding regs and camera that I have in carry-on.

are you able to fit all your gear with it without going over in weight?

Fins, Knighthawk BCD, mask, dsmb and small reel, 5 mil wetsuit, camera housing, save-a-dive kit, shorts and T-shirts......all under 50 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom