Worth it to get AOW before going to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know Dive Tech (1000 islands not Grand Caymen) has them for for $25. Online I don't know who has them. Anyone that carries Akona I would imagine.The string is 25' long.
Tip: when you get your finger spool, unreel the line to make sure it's tied at the end (mine wasn't). Otherwise, if you drop the spool you may lose it.

I also blackened the string with a Sharpie at 15' (one mark) and 25' (two marks).

Tip: when you get your finger spool, unreel the line to make sure it's tied at the end (mine wasn't). Otherwise, if you drop the spool you may lose it.

I also blackened the string with a Sharpie at 15' (one mark) and 25' (two marks).
Good ideas! I cut mine down from 150 ft to 40 ft; any deeper and I want my reel to shoot. I also tied a better knot on the bolt clip.

Actually, I believe the question that the OP asked was whether or not having AOW certification would enable him to go on dives that he wouldn't be allowed to do with only an OW cert.

Actually the question was. "Are there any "must do" dives in Coz that would require AOW?"

So I strayed off the path....:rolleyes: OK, my answer is, in my opinion "There are not any "must do" dives in Coz that would require AOW." I apologize for adding any information that did not answer the OP's question. Thanks Gordon for calling my attention to my error. Sue

Here's an SMB tip: If you have one that inflates from underneath with your octo, fill it with the air from your BC for starters. That way, you're only transferring air from one place to another, so your bouyancy won't change. Then fill it the rest of the way from your octo before launching it to the surface.

Well, it won't change until you let go of the SMB...

Duh! :silly: Missed that. But I don't have that kind of sausage.

Yeah, but it's probably better to be dropping down and adding air to your BC than shooting to the surface trying to dump air.

As in shooting on a reel or spool from safety stop? A good idea for those of us who don't follow the DM closely, but most do.

For the safety stop is one reason, yes. Another would be blowing through your air in record time and surfacing solo. Yet another would be the inability to equalize and having to thumb the dive early on :( Or the DM forgets theirs (forgivable; they're human too).

All of these things are from personal experience. It also doesn't hurt to have one on hand as a matter of general safety precaution imho.

To AceszHigh: I'm not aware of any dive ops in Coz that require AOW for any particular dive. Most would likely (hopefully, anyway) rather dive with you a few times to gauge your experience level. Got the experience? Got money? You've got a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom