Worth it to get AOW before going to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I added 2 cents worth of information earlier, but did not actually answer the question presented. " Is it worth getting AOW before going to Cozumel". My answer is Yes. Learning new skills and reviewing old skills is always a good thing. However having the certification will not necessarily enable you to go to better dive sites. There are so many Cozumel dive site options that AOW certification is not required. In fact, AOW may not technically be a requirement for deeper or advanced dive sites at all. Regardless, I found with 50 - 100 dives under my belt I was able to focus more on the "why's" of diving, rather than just the "how's" as I did for BOW. AOW revisited many BOW diving skills and experience I had acquired. It was good to review it all with an instructor, plus learn new ways to improve my diving. Therefore, the answer is Yes, AOW would be good to have prior, or perhaps during a trip to Cozumel. In my experience it was so wonderful to take the class in Cozumel from a fantastic instructor who I new well and in an environment that I am comfortable being in. Enjoy your class !

It is probably good to get an AOW certification if nothing else because you get more "wet time". That being said, I am still only OW certified after diving for 32 years. I have since done over 100 dives of all level in Cozumel and have never been held back by my basic OW card. I went thru my old log book. Our first ocean dive, my dive #4 in my log book, was an 80' dive on Palancar, I had not been deeper than 20' in lake water prior to this dive. Back then they didn't call them Caves, Gardens, etc., just Palancar. I wish we could remember the dive operator, but all I remember was it was not west Texas lake water.

Our second trip in 1984, we dived with a new operator, Tom Hartedgen, who had just opened Dive Paradise 9 months earlier. It was September 16, 1984 we had eaten the $1.99 diver breakfast at the old Costa Brava Restaurant, it poured rain, after the rain, we watched the Independence day parade. Tom was our dive guide on my 13th and 14th logged dives and told us all about comming down, falling in love with the island and moving down...great memories!

Last edited:
I added 2 cents worth of information earlier, but did not actually answer the question presented. " Is it worth getting AOW before going to Cozumel". My answer is Yes.
Actually, I believe the question that the OP asked was whether or not having AOW certification would enable him to go on dives that he wouldn't be allowed to do with only an OW cert.

Heading to Cozumel in March..I haven't read a whole lot about their diving I just know about clear water and beautiful reefs :) Are there any "must do" dives in Coz that would require AOW?

HONESTLY - an AOW card doesn't say a THING to an operator about your true skill or experience level - all it tells us is that you've done the course - which can be done with as few as 5 dives straight out of OW training.

For those who still seem to think that an "Advanced" open water certification somehow designates you as an "Advanced" diver - you couldn't be more misinformed. Nothing about the AOW course creates an "Advanced" diover - only more training and time in the water can do that!

To the OP - if your dive count is accurate on your profile, you've got more practical dive experience than thousands of AOW card holders.

In Cozumel, we (dive ops) are more concerned with assessing your actual skills in the water for a day or two vs. what c-card you have. Trust me, there are DM's and Instructors out there that shouldn't hold the ratings they do (and with fewer dives than you have - scary huh?)

So to answer your question, no, you don't need your AOW course before you get here - but if you want to get it, this is a fun place to do it - and most operators offer the course.

Have a great trip!

^^ Agree!!! You certainly don't need an AOW card. It never hurts to get more training, though.

Every place I have been let me dive what I felt I was comfortable with. There aren't many dive police out there. Just do dives that you feel fall in your training area i.e. don't enter a wreck if you don't have the experience or equipment. In short, just use common sense.

Honestly, a nitrox card would be more beneficial. They do check to see if you're nitrox certified. Never had a Dive Op ask if I was AOW.

It would be hard to do over 100 dives and not understand what is covered in that very basic course.

I think its to late for you, you missed your chance to give away 300 dollars.

It would be hard to do over 100 dives and not understand what is covered in that very basic course.

I think its to late for you, you missed your chance to give away 300 dollars.

Haha, yes I understand. I probably have about 120 dives or so, definitely understand everything that's covered in the AOW course. Id rather not even bother taking the class if I dont have to ever.

Here's an example for why I was even asking: in Key largo the dives ops wanted to see AOW cards for anyone going on Spiegel grove dives..some ops were reasonable and said if I can show them 2 recently logged dives over 100' then they'd allow me on the boat, others just wanted to see an AOW card. So my question was really more about if there are any particular must see 'advanced' (deep) dives in Cozumel and if the ops are cert card nazis about aow. Thanks for the input everyone, lookin forward to this trip!

Haha, yes I understand. I probably have about 120 dives or so, definitely understand everything that's covered in the AOW course. Id rather not even bother taking the class if I dont have to ever.

Here's an example for why I was even asking: in Key largo the dives ops wanted to see AOW cards for anyone going on Spiegel grove dives..some ops were reasonable and said if I can show them 2 recently logged dives over 100' then they'd allow me on the boat, others just wanted to see an AOW card. So my question was really more about if there are any particular must see 'advanced' (deep) dives in Cozumel and if the ops are cert card nazis about aow. Thanks for the input everyone, lookin forward to this trip!

An AOW cert card is mainly 'trip insurance' in the event your DO encounter a dive op on any given trip who DOES attach importance to having such a card...it would really suck to spend $/hard earned vacation time off and have something as silly as lacking the AOW card to sabotage your trip...or piss off your dive group who had to dumb-down their advanced dives and cater to the least-common-denominator...YOU! (if said dive op just happens to require the card to do the more fun/challenging/deeper dives.

An AOW cert card is mainly 'trip insurance' in the event your DO encounter a dive op on any given trip who DOES attach importance to having such a card...it would really suck to spend $/hard earned vacation time off and have something as silly as lacking the AOW card to sabotage your trip...or piss off your dive group who had to dumb-down their advanced dives and cater to the least-common-denominator...YOU! (if said dive op just happens to require the card to do the more fun/challenging/deeper dives.

That seems like some expensive insurance. Why not just call the dive op ahead of time and ask? If they say they do then dive another op. Almost all locations have multiple dive shops and most trust divers to make responsible choices.

It still doesn't hurt to have additional training, but that AOW isn't cheap. Most guys will opt for more gear instead of AOW from what I have seen.

Diving is like any other activity. Some are just going to better than others.Give 5 different people,similar training and 50 similar dives and there will clearly be difference in diving skills. The AOW in itself is not a an indication of diving skills. However,I believe the rescue course is a worthwhile and in order to take that course you must have AOW. Again, just because you are certified doesn't mean much because I don't believe they fail many people but it will give you more confidence,skill and knowledge. There are many people who are passsionate about golf, play often,buy the most expensive equipment,take lessons but they still stink. The key is to be able to dive safely,dive within your limitations,be a great dive buddy and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom