Worth it to get AOW before going to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but remember what happened to Hitler? :lol2:

(anybody that hasn't seen the video, PM me)
That was a funny one. Too bad the copyright owner blocked it on youtube.
Do you own and know how to use an SMB? If not, I'd place that at the very top of my list of things to do before diving in Coz.
As in shooting on a reel or spool from safety stop? A good idea for those of us who don't follow the DM closely, but most do.

On the other hand, it is amazing how many dive the ocean without carrying one. I always have and have added a number of other surface signaling devices just in case.

imo you'd be well served to take a rescue class. I had my girlfriend take OW/AOW and Rescue before diving with her; we're still together.

As in shooting on a reel or spool from safety stop? A good idea for those of us who don't follow the DM closely, but most do.

Shooting from the safety stop (15 feet) is too shallow. It needs to be deployed from a greater depth for safety sake. Plus it's a lot easier (needs less air) if you do it from about 40 or 50 feet. And if you don't stay closely with the DM, well then you are just a statistic looking to happen.

Here's an SMB tip: If you have one that inflates from underneath with your octo, fill it with the air from your BC for starters. That way, you're only transferring air from one place to another, so your bouyancy won't change. Then fill it the rest of the way from your octo before launching it to the surface.

Thanks for the input all. Let's not forget I live 3 miles from the ocean and most of the diving here in south Florida (except the keys) is drift diving, so yeah I have used the SMB once or twice ;-) Right now I have like 20ft of .25" lanyard as line for the SMB but that is a PITA as it always gets tangled...thinking of getting a finger spool because a reel seems too bulky to lug around.

Here's an SMB tip: If you have one that inflates from underneath with your octo, fill it with the air from your BC for starters. That way, you're only transferring air from one place to another, so your bouyancy won't change. Then fill it the rest of the way from your octo before launching it to the surface.
That is yet another reason to fill it at greater depth. When I am at 15' at the end of a dive, there is no air in my BC.

thinking of getting a finger spool because a reel seems too bulky to lug around.

I agree, a reel is too bulky. I love this one made by Akona. The string can be a PITA, but its so compact, and easy to carry I like it. I don't use it much. I let the DM do it most of the time. It's there if I need it.

20rvkfb.jpg

1zleomp.jpg

When I was there the DM's from both shops deployed SMB's from below before we started ascent to do SS. Then I deployed mined as a secondary when I hit the surface - after 3min SS. Just an fyi in case you dont get ur finger pool before hand.
PS thats a nice Akona, they still sell those? how long is the rope attached?

they still sell those? how long is the rope attached?

I know Dive Tech (1000 islands not Grand Caymen) has them for for $25. Online I don't know who has them. Anyone that carries Akona I would imagine.The string is 25' long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom