Witnessed diver mutilate a lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are honest. Many divers apparently take the "no touch" thing to extremes, yet fly to big resorts, the plane polluting the air and the resort messing up coastal flora that is needed for healthy reefs.
OTOH, I figure spear fishing is probably the least offensive way to catch fish-- no by-catch or catch & release throw backs. I poke spear half a dozen flounders each summer myself.
This reminds me of a video of a vegan trying to convince a normal person to stop eating meat. The normal guy said the vegan should kill himself in order to stop impacting the planet, and he's right. But that's argumentum ad absurdum.

"Don't touch" is just an oversimplistic thing to say, like "never hold your breath". Touching an octopus is different than ripping off an antenna from a lobster. I genuinely hope we don't disagree on that. I will say, I LMAO whenever people f around with moray eels and lose a finger.

I think there is a major difference between interacting with nature and wildlife vs indiscriminately and intentionally ripping off an appendage for whatever reason this sick and deranged woman and her lacky husband had in mind.

If I had witnessed this I'm not sure what I would have done but what comes to mind is once back on the boat grabbing a handfull of her reg hoses, slicing them with my dive knife and informing her that her diving day was over and to go ahead and sue me. I know for sure that had my wife seen this, once back onboard she would have been letting this women..... along with everyone else onboard and probably all of Mexico ......know exactly how she felt.

As far as "interacting" with wildlife goes, I am not innocent... One of my "memorables" was an encounter with a very friendly wolf eel up in BC. It was in a hole at about 85-90 feet and curious and so I busted open a nearby rock scallop to feed to it and the rest is in the pics below.

If I find an octopus in a hole I have no problem finding a nearby crab to feed to it and that sometimes causes it to interact and come out to "investigate" further. When interacting with octopus I typically will remove one of my gloves to enhance the "connection"....... Another aspect of octo interaction is that at least in my experience the Giant Pacifics can actually communicate their "mood"..... If they are comfortable and curious they remain in their typical ambient "camo" color. If scared they will turn a more white color and if angry or distressed they can turn a more red color

As far as spearfishing on SCUBA...I also am not innocent, but I also am admittedly a carnivore and Ling Cod are one of my very favorite foods. I only hunt in season, licensed, within all rules, but typically at depths that are not in my free diving range. I also love to gather and consume both Pectin and Rock scallops...on SCUBA. Unlike commercial or even private fisherman, on SCUBA I have a unique opportunity to be merciful and selective.....with no collateral reef impact. I also have no chance of harming or killing any unintended "bycatch" that most definitely happens in the process of providing meals for folks in their favorite restaurants. I am NEVER at all interested in scoring the "big fish". I ALWAYS target the smaller males and NEVER shoot the large female breeders.....and I enforce that general philosophy for anyone on my boat... I have found that the males typically have more of a "torpedo" or "bullet" shaped head and the females have a more rounded blunt shaped head. I also do not hunt Lingcod in the early season (March / April when they are more likely to be breeding. Females lay the nest and then the males guard it.

yKqNxWW.jpg

d7Xluhx.jpg

LkjFuAq.jpg
You killed an invertebrate to get a picture for your amusement, yet some lady breaking an antenna off an invertebrate is far, far worse? The antenna are designed to snap off easily if the lobster is confronted by a predator or restrained by them. They are replaced in the next molt. Would it be better if she was just trying to get a picture?

BTW, wolf eel is excellent eating, but once speared, they are dangerous until brained.

I have a feeling I might have met this woman in the last few days...... Very crude and boisterous? Lots of cussing?

You killed an invertebrate to get a picture for your amusement, yet some lady breaking an antenna off an invertebrate is far, far worse?
@NW Dive Dawg helped ensure the survival of the wolf eel by sparing it from expending calories for a meal! :wink: :wink::oops::gas:

While diving with a shop-guided group, I was watching a lobster peeking out at me from between some rocks. All of a sudden I was pushed to the side by the hand of another diver quickly reaching out, grabbing one of the lobster’s antennas, and ripping it off. She then just instantly swam away with the antenna.

Back on the boat I confronted her, and she just blew it off, saying she was just messing around, and her husband then intervened, saying ‘we got it, we got it’. Which I found even weirder since he was ahead of us when she did this, so he didn’t even know about what she did here.

Is there anything that can be done in this case to report to authorities or anything? If that’s even worth doing, or am so blowing this out of proportion? In Mexico if that makes a difference
Ridiculous. Why are some people so stupid?

I find your images shocking! Absolutely shocking!

How in the world do you dive in the Puget Sound without gloves?!?!?!?!?! o_O :p:wink:
Hahaha

I always find it amusing when folks get all up in arms over harassing wildlife in the sea. If you eat seafood, you really shouldn't be commenting, and you certainly shouldn't be getting all huffy.

I don't harass critters, but I also don't eat seafood, including lobster. East coast lobster is typically hauled up in a trap, sold to a wholesaler who will rack that animal up in a warehouse with water dribbling over it for months, before it's sold at the retail level, where the buyer takes it home to drop it in to a pot of boiling water. This is how you get to buy "fresh" lobster all year long.)

And yes, lobsters likely don't feel pain. They don't have brains after all. But before you all get your nickers in a knot over the twit that's removing antennae, consider if you're planning to eat lobster on that same trip, because that's WAY more abusive...

Here's a link to the company that sells those lobster condos for long-term storage, (in case you don't believe me. )

I am a complete hypocrit. As a diver, I pride myself not to disturb marine life. Never to touch any living creature. I have nothing but contempt for spear fishers using scuba. Then, at the surface, I enjoy fish, lobsters in restaurants. I never asked the waiters if the animals are treated humanly though.
Great writing! The “I” is killing me!

Can we add another one? I am a complete hypocrit and so on, but I never doubt the carbon footprint of my flights, car drives and boat drives to the dive spots where I profile myself as an underwater nature activist?

You killed an invertebrate to get a picture for your amusement, yet some lady breaking an antenna off an invertebrate is far, far worse? The antenna are designed to snap off easily if the lobster is confronted by a predator or restrained by them. They are replaced in the next molt. Would it be better if she was just trying to get a picture?

BTW, wolf eel is excellent eating, but once speared, they are dangerous until brained.

Dude.... if you are a 100% total vegan or vegetarian then I guess I can totally respect and understand your opinion. Are you a Vegan or Vegetarian? BTW..... the donate of a scallop to feed a Wolf Eel was in my mind a partnership. The pictures were incidental.

Great writing! The “I” is killing me!

Can we add another one? I am a complete hypocrit and so on, but I never doubt the carbon footprint of my flights, car drives and boat drives to the dive spots where I profile myself as an underwater nature activist?
I'm a complete hypocrite as I drive to work instead of biking. I don't live off the wildlife in the nearby woods (deer, raccoons, rats, mice, owls), grow my own food....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom