Witnessed diver mutilate a lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If humans could regrow limbs, that doesn't mean it should be acceptable for people to start ripping each other's limbs off...
New divers do silly things like touching wildlife. Just saying the lobster will be fine. I'll leave the moral judgements to others. Life,s to short.

I stopped doing stuff like that around seven or eight years old.

New divers do silly things like touching wildlife. Just saying the lobster will be fine. I'll leave the moral judgements to others. Life,s to short.
I still touch them. It's fun to play with GPO and red octos if they let you.
GX010190_1672695758532.jpg
GX010190_1672695830026.jpg

Today I learned that lobsters don't feel pain: 24 Lobster Facts You'd Never Know | Maine Lobster Now. But per your comment, limbs don't grow back immediately.

Despite all that, this is behavior that should be discouraged.
Their opinion based on lively hood, the same sentiment has been used by people against people and animals. Pretty sure they feel pain. Go out on cattle boats and you will encounter s+itty people who do s+itty things.

Their opinion based on lively hood, the same sentiment has been used by people against people and animals. Pretty sure they feel pain. Go out on cattle boats and you will encounter s+itty people who do s+itty things.
True. But years ago diving off a cattleboat off Oahu, there was an instructor who grabbed an octo and using it to entertain his students. I physically made him let it go by grabbing his arm with one hand and with the other wag my finger in his face. I was ready to continue the conversation back on the boat. He made the wise decision to steer clear of me. He didn't even look in my direction.

Do you rip their arms off? They grow back after all. At least that is what one of the books I read to my daughter says.
Absolutely not. If I find them out in the open I extend a hand for them to crawl up on until they've had enough and swim off in a squirt of ink. I'm a no harm other than annoying them kind of person.
GX010190_1672877993185.jpg

Absolutely not. If I find them out in the open I extend a hand for them to crawl up on until they've had enough and swim off in a squirt of ink. I'm a no harm other than annoying them kind of person. View attachment 762349
I was joking about the ripping the arms off. LOL.

This wasn’t some Cozumel cruise ship drink and dive type thing, it’s somewhere where only people who are really into diving would come.

I mentioned it to the divemaster, and I was relieved to find that she was very disgusted and will talk to the shop management. I’m gone so won’t know what happens from there, but even if it only means that they have a closer eye on them I’m satisfied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom