Witnessed diver mutilate a lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobbobson

Registered
Reaction score
While diving with a shop-guided group, I was watching a lobster peeking out at me from between some rocks. All of a sudden I was pushed to the side by the hand of another diver quickly reaching out, grabbing one of the lobster’s antennas, and ripping it off. She then just instantly swam away with the antenna.

Back on the boat I confronted her, and she just blew it off, saying she was just messing around, and her husband then intervened, saying ‘we got it, we got it’. Which I found even weirder since he was ahead of us when she did this, so he didn’t even know about what she did here.

Is there anything that can be done in this case to report to authorities or anything? If that’s even worth doing, or am so blowing this out of proportion? In Mexico if that makes a difference

I'd have been a little more confrontational, notified the captain and dive guides to get them denied further dives.

Back on the boat I confronted her, and she just blew it off, saying she was just messing around, and her husband then intervened, saying ‘we got it, we got it’. Which I found even weirder since he was ahead of us when she did this, so he didn’t even know about what she did here.
At the very least, I would have notified the dive guide to make sure they couldn't leave the boat with it.

Some weird trophy hunting thing?

I have seen a diver coming back on board with both claws of the same lobster. He tried to capture it to take home and eat. While at least a little bit easier to understand his actions, I still thought it was messed up. If you want to catch lobster to take home and eat, at least study a bit on how to do that properly...
This story here however is even more F-ed up. If I would have seen that, I would have definitely chewed the diver out and thrown her overboard. Back in the water to go tell the lobster she's sorry. It just shows a lack of respect for the world we like to spend time in.

I would have definitely chewed the diver out and thrown her overboard.
Are you my long, lost twin?

I have seen a diver coming back on board with both claws of the same lobster. He tried to capture it to take home and eat. While at least a little bit easier to understand his actions, I still thought it was messed up. If you want to catch lobster to take home and eat, at least study a bit on how to do that properly...
This story here however is even more F-ed up. If I would have seen that, I would have definitely chewed the diver out and thrown her overboard. Back in the water to go tell the lobster she's sorry. It just shows a lack of respect for the world we like to spend time in.
I was thinking more of snapping off her arm and going back to my husband saying "we got it, we got it".

I was thinking more of snapping off her arm and going back to my husband saying "we got it, we got it".
found my fraternal twin!

A rotten thing to do, and even a more curious one.... I'm sure trying to do anything about it would have resulted in zero results... even if it weren't in Mexico.

I'm sure trying to do anything about it would have resulted in zero results...
I don't know. I like to believe that a confrontation would make her think twice to do something stupid like this again. I'm glad @bobbobson spoke out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom