Witnessed diver mutilate a lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life is too short to get that worked up over some ass wipe that broke off a lobster antenna. If you are going to confront them, then get ready to confront every diver that fins the reef, breaks off coral, litters, drags gear across the reef, etc. That antenna removal was probably the least damaging act to the reef during that dive.

BTW, are you 100% sure your fins or any part of your gear/body never touched or damaged the reef?

Life is too short to get that worked up over some ass wipe that broke off a lobster antenna. If you are going to confront them, then get ready to confront every diver that fins the reef, breaks off coral, litters, drags gear across the reef, etc. That antenna removal was probably the least damaging act to the reef during that dive.

BTW, are you 100% sure your fins or any part of your gear/body never touched or damaged the reef?
The difference here is the intent to damage. I have sure damaged reefs but it was never with intent. Grabbing a lobster by the antenna and breaking it off is stupid. And if I see a diver dragging gear across the reef, I sure point that out.

I mean, don’t we eat the lobsters after freezing or boiling them alive? This one got a chance to get away and live another day.

The difference here is the intent to damage. I have sure damaged reefs but it was never with intent. Grabbing a lobster by the antenna and breaking it off is stupid. And if I see a diver dragging gear across the reef, I sure point that out.

Now we are all lawyers? Intent? The "intent" is dropping on a reef with crap trim and zero situational awareness. And I agree, their act was stupid, but no more stupid than any other diver damaging the reef.

And good luck point out all the bad behavior when diving cattle boats, you'll spend the whole dive being reef police and not enjoying the dive.

I understand the comments around eating lobster and such, but FFS, what that lady did is despicable. Who knows what else her and her husband do on other dives? I have no issue with confrontation or alerting the captain/crew of that. These people need to respect nature and their environment.

Lobster can regrow limbs and antenna, they can lose them fighting. So I would imagine the lobster is fine

I understand the comments around eating lobster and such, but FFS, what that lady did is despicable. Who knows what else her and her husband do on other dives? I have no issue with confrontation or alerting the captain/crew of that. These people need to respect nature and their environment.
I see what you and NYC are saying. But as you said-- who knows what they do on other dives,--or non-dive activities for that matter. My guess is confronting them wouldn't change their attitude and would just give one more aggravation . To me, not worth it. As a shell collector when I used to take charters, I of course got a bit of criticism here and there from other divers and crew. Still collecting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom