Witnessed diver mutilate a lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still touch them. It's fun to play with GPO and red octos if they let you. View attachment 762342View attachment 762343
You don't play with them, they play/tasted you. Pretty special when it happens. Once had an out of den GPO wrap around my wrist and hand, and do the same to my dive buddy, at the same time. We hung out with it for about 5 min, before it decided to scoot into it's den.

While diving with a shop-guided group, I was watching a lobster peeking out at me from between some rocks. All of a sudden I was pushed to the side by the hand of another diver quickly reaching out, grabbing one of the lobster’s antennas, and ripping it off. She then just instantly swam away with the antenna.

Back on the boat I confronted her, and she just blew it off, saying she was just messing around, and her husband then intervened, saying ‘we got it, we got it’. Which I found even weirder since he was ahead of us when she did this, so he didn’t even know about what she did here.

Is there anything that can be done in this case to report to authorities or anything? If that’s even worth doing, or am so blowing this out of proportion? In Mexico if that makes a difference
Here in RI if a diver gets caught coming out of the water with a piece of a lobster he/she will be charged with a crime. That's the way it should be. Some people will take just the claws of a short lobster thinking they can beat the size limit. Knowing the laws where you are diving is an important part of travel diving but is seldom done by most divers. In this case it might have been useful to you,

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's a moray"

View attachment 762634

I tortured some ants with a magnifying glass once but stopped short of serial killing

Couple of questions about that picture.

What part of the body is the moray biting?

Who wears a dress shirt while diving?

Couple of questions about that picture.

What part of the body is the moray biting?

Who wears a dress shirt while diving?
I believe that’s a shot from the classic diving documentary “The Deep”.

Here in RI if a diver gets caught coming out of the water with a piece of a lobster he/she will be charged with a crime. That's the way it should be. Some people will take just the claws of a short lobster thinking they can beat the size limit. Knowing the laws where you are diving is an important part of travel diving but is seldom done by most divers. In this case it might have been useful to you,
At least you HAVE a size limit. In Maritime Canada no one can take any lobsters ever unless you are a Gov't. licensed lobster fisherman or an indigenous person. If you're caught I heard they will confiscate your gear and maybe your car. That was very frustrating when we lived right on the ocean and lobster pots were 30-40 feet from shore and I couldn't take even one lobster for supper. My uncle had several pots in Western LI Sound, CT back in the '80s and before when there actually were lobsters there....

Wolf Eels love urchins too.
Yeah..... Isn't that amazing that they just munch those purple urchins right down....spikes and all!!

Back
Top Bottom