Wishing I were somewhere warm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome from another North-Easterner!

Who also just got certified last fall, and used to live in Florida, where I also didn't dive, and also has ear-clearing problems.

Are we related? :confused:

If you sidle on up the coast of the sound sometime, maybe we can dive together!

Welcome, and happy diving,

Scuba-sass

Originally posted by scuba-sass
Welcome from another North-Easterner!

Who also just got certified last fall, and used to live in Florida, where I also didn't dive, and also has ear-clearing problems.

Are we related? :confused:

If you sidle on up the coast of the sound sometime, maybe we can dive together!

Welcome, and happy diving,

Scuba-sass
We may very well be long-lost relatives. Cast into the open ocean as babes :drown: ...only to drift a few nautical miles from one another... :hi: (just a little melodrama for Monday mornings).

Do you divein CT? Where do you go?

Sunshine :fishy:

We did our OW cert dives in late October. The water was pretty rough at Stonington Point (the sound) the first day, and we had some junior divers, so instead of rescheduling, we dove in 2 different CT lakes. One near the RI boarder - Greens Falls? And on Sunday we headed up near Torrington, NW corner - can't remember the name, dive log is at home. These are the only 2 lakes in CT where it is legal to dive. Rumor has it there are some very good places to dive along the CT coast, but it got too cold, too soon.

We vacationed in the Caribbean in December, dives off St. Croix, Barbados (the best of the lot), Antigua and St. Thomas. Check out my trip report in the travel section.

In march, for our 20th Anniversary, we're heading to French Polynesia. Yippeeee!

Your long-lost water-sister,
Scuba-sass :)

Another warm welcome from Sunny Thailand, Sunshine! (I'm a bit late, I know... but :rolleyes: )

Sounds like you've got the diving bug - just like the rest of us. Ain't it great? Hope you have lots of fun in the water and on the Boards when not getting wet.

See you around!

Sunshine,

Welcome from another fellow city resident.
Definately do some type of training before you use a dry suit in open water it is VERY different than a wetsuit.
Don't pass up on the local diving scene, there are some very good sites to visit, and later in the season you can get some good visibility. if you dive wet, most people can dive the ocean from may through october, by august surface temps are in the low 70s, mid depth the 60s and deep upper 40s. Most of the offshore wrecks you can usually get 30ft vis, but 50ft or better does happen, some of the deeper offshore sites its not uncomon..
I don't pass up traveling either, at least 1 trip a year to the Caymans, and elsewhere.. This march is Guam and Truk lagoon...
There are a couple of local dive clubs, you should check them out.

Who did you do your training with??

I am involved with http://www.northeastaquanauts.com and now http://www.rocklandaquanauts.org but there are several others...

Dive Safe
Joe
Http://www.geocities.com/padiscubapro/index.htm

I did my classroom training with Pan Aqua (PADI) and referral dives in Bermuda.

I've heard a lot about Wreck Diving around the NY/NJ area. And I may <gulp> even give it a try. Water-wimp that I am. Do I need a special regulator rated for the water temps around here? I just bought an Oceanic D3/PX2 but I still have time to exchange for for another if needed. I think it is rated to 50 degrees - I have to check my user's manual.
Originally posted by padiscubapro
Sunshine,

Welcome from another fellow city resident.
Definately do some type of training before you use a dry suit in open water it is VERY different than a wetsuit.
Don't pass up on the local diving scene, there are some very good sites to visit, and later in the season you can get some good visibility. if you dive wet, most people can dive the ocean from may through october, by august surface temps are in the low 70s, mid depth the 60s and deep upper 40s. Most of the offshore wrecks you can usually get 30ft vis, but 50ft or better does happen, some of the deeper offshore sites its not uncomon..
I don't pass up traveling either, at least 1 trip a year to the Caymans, and elsewhere.. This march is Guam and Truk lagoon...
There are a couple of local dive clubs, you should check them out.

Who did you do your training with??

I am involved with http://www.northeastaquanauts.com and now http://www.rocklandaquanauts.org but there are several others...

Dive Safe
Joe
Http:/www.geocities.com/padiscubapro/index.htm

I'm not familiar with that reg, but I haven't seen any regs freeze in the ocean since (but I have seen problems when ice diving), even in february the Ocean is mid to upper 30s.
If you are diving wet, you probably wount be in the water til may by then the water is starting to warm up.
Many regs have an enviromental kit available that is used for colder diving. I have an older cheapo oceanic piston reg (I dont remember the model) I use it on one of my deco bottles and I have never had any problems with it regardless of temp.
All the problems I have ever seen happened on the surface and were caused by people breathing on the reg before the were underwater..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom