Will you buy a reg off ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+ what awap said. For a brand new reg, I'd check a good online retailer like Scubatoys, LP, etc.

You can get great deals on ebay on used regulators if:

1.) You know exactly what you want, how you will get it serviced, and the cost of servicing. This also includes knowing for sure that parts are still available if it is an older reg (but usually they are).

2.) You know what a "good price" really is. This does need to take into account how much it will cost you to service the reg.

Numbers 1 & 2 above become easier/cheaper if you do your own servicing.

I have only bought 3 used regs on ebay, but all were great deals. In all three cases, I paid less than 25% the new value of the regulator, and this includes shipping and cost of rebuild parts (which are generally $10-30 per stage retail, depending on the reg).

You do need to be patient, and certain times of year (off season?) seem better than other for finding "deals".

Best wishes.

I wouldn't feel comftarble with that. I would like to make sure anything that I need to sustain life comes with a warranty and that I know is a reputable seller.

When buying any new major scuba gear online, it is best to inquire if the manufacturer's factory warranty applies and if the vendor will replace defective goods. I find return shipping is a hassle and most online stores require you to pay for shipping the defective item back for an exchange. Why would a customer pay for shipping to return a defective item is beyond me. You can buy new gear online for cheap compared to LDS prices but you won't know the true condition of the item until after you have tried it out.

On used gear, you have to be prepared to take the risk when purchasing off Ebay. When I was starting out, I purchased several of my used dive gear on Ebay. Fortunately, all the used gear I got was working well and in very good condition. Once I receive the gear I purchased, it goes directly to my LDS for inspection. Now, after a few years, I am slowly upgrading my gear to new equipment whenever my budget will allow me to indulge. For example, I almost bought a new BC off Ebay a few days ago but thought real hard about the warranty. The BC was new but the vendor was not offering any warranty on it and the manufacturer will not honor any warranty on it if bought online or even mail ordered. The manufacturer of the BC I wanted to buy had a limited lifetime warranty on it if you bought it in-store from an authorized dealer. After learning of the conditions and details of the limited lifetime warranty, I thought long and hard whether saving $200 will benefit me more than access to the warranty. I am leaning towards the latter since the limited lifetime warranty is really hard to refuse and ignore. Some manufacturers just offer a one year or two year warranty on their gear. If this is the case, as long as the reg works out of the box and it will be inspected regularly, that warranty scheme does not carry a whole lot of weight compared to $200 savings. So, I will be compelled to just keep the savings for other stuff and buy the reg online.

Just my 2-psi on this issue. I hope I make sense.

eelnoraa: You might also want to consider the Zeagle Flathead VI for $360.00 from Zeagle Express.

Buy The ZX Flathead-VI CLOSEOUT scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

It was replaced by the Flathead 7 this year, so the Flathead VI is a "closeout" item, but is still a great regulator. Two of the used regs I bought on ebay were Flathead VI's; they are well-designed regs that are also really easy to service for the DIY folks like me.

Just a thought.

Best wishes.

Sure, I've bought a number of them. Only one turned out to be problematic and that was after several years of service. I knew what I wanted (usually SP Mk10/G250s) and chose buyers with good reputations.

I took a shot at a New Aeris Ion w/AT 400 on Ebay a few weeks ago starting bid was $200. I put in a max bid of $250. I won. It is being listed at Leisure Pro for $499. I have used it three times locally and I love it. I did call Aeris regarding a technical question. They were very helpful and insightful, I under stand I don't have a warranty but I made out well. As others have posted "buyer beware"

buy 2 off ebay then sell one on craigslist to make money, From what i have seen between the 2 your more likely to get a good deal on ebay but gotta be careful

when was it made ? and is the first stage dvt or non dvt?

It was not something I planned to do, but I just notice a very good deal on Oceanic EOS on ebay. About $200 in saving compare to LDS. The seller seems legit, rating is 99% with 1000+ sales. What would be the disadvantage?

I'd want to know if it was stolen. Not sure how you would find out, but brand new equipment from a manufacturer that supposedly controls it's dealer network would at least make me curious.

Terry

Allow me to put in my 2 cents worth. I am a buyer and a SELLER of used regs on eBay. I have gotten some very good deals this way and this allows me to recondition and resell for a fair price. If you are buying, always make sure that the pictures are clear and can be enlarged. I have found that you can get a pretty good idea of condition just by the photos. Chrome is relatively easy to check, but the rubber goods are what you really need to look at. You also want to make sure it comes from a smoke free home [if this matters to you] rubber goods really soak up the stale cigarette smell. I believe that since most of the parts are "hard", there is very little danger of getting burned too bad as long as soft parts are readily available. Just my opinion. Regards Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom