Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's very empty here. There are still some people vacationing in Playa though.
I know that no ships are coming there. I am amazed that anyone would board a cruise barge anywhere these days.

I know that no ships are coming there. I am amazed that anyone would board a cruise barge anywhere these days.
Yo tambien. Screening by temperature won't catch those who have been exposed but are not yet showing symptoms, and if a case pops up after your ship has left home port you are in for a very unpleasant cruise experience. I understand the impetus for trying to retain some normalcy in life and the desire not to lose unrecoverable invested funds (if that is what they are looking at), but the time comes where any rational person needs to do a risk assessment and do what is necessary to cut their losses.

The larger cruise ships can carry in excess of 6000 passengers (Cruise Ship Passenger Capacity | CruiseMapper). What are the odds, in 6000 people taken at random, even if they are screened by temperature, that not even one of them will be between exposure and the onset of symptoms? I don't know the number, but it is a stat that is declining every day at this point in the pandemic, and it only takes one such person to ruin everyone's trip.

There's no way I would set foot on a cruise ship these days, even if I were inclined to do so under normal circumstances.

This is the question that keeps coming to my mind. Some have suggested that having had it may not provide immunity but until this is proven it would seem one of the most critical tests would be a test to show someone had recovered and was likely safe to go to work. I read nothing about this online.

With 150k cured, we'd have hundreds if not thousands of examples of people re-infected if it provided no immunity. All I've seen is one case of a person re-infected and it was suggested he may not have ever been cured.

With 150k cured, we'd have hundreds if not thousands of examples of people re-infected if it provided no immunity. All I've seen is one case of a person re-infected and it was suggested he may not have ever been cured.
If surviving a hit didn't make you immune, why would a vaccine work?

I believe you are right.

If surviving a hit didn't make you immune, why would a vaccine work?
I came to that same conclusion.

Well, it's official throughout the state of Quintana Roo.
Ports in Cozumel are CLOSED to recreational and sports vessels until further notification from the Secretary of the Navy. Ports are closed throughout the entire country.

This is a loose translation. No time to write it out but here ya go. ~ From TVQRoo.

"Maritime traffic is suspended throughout the country; Only authorized cargo and passengers.

Through a circular to all the port authorities in the country, it was reported that as a result of the agreement published in the Official Gazette on March 24, 2020 by the Secretary of Health (Secretaria de Salud).
Starting today and until further notice, the port authorities throughout the country will deny dispatches and departures to vessels that offer nautical tourism services as well as smaller recreational and sports vessels.
Through a circular to all port captainships in the country, it was reported that as a result of the agreement published in the Official Gazette on March 24, 2020 by the Secretary of Health, which establishes the preventive measures that They must implement for the mitigation and control of the health risks that the disease caused by the SARS-CoV2 virus (COV1D-19) implies.

This Agreement mentions in its third paragraph of ARTICLE ONE that the civil and military authorities, as well as individuals, agencies and entities of the three levels of government will be obliged to implement preventive measures against the disease caused by the SARS-CoV2 virus (COVID -19).
The measures are given as a result of the fact that despite the emergency that exists and the same increase in positive cases throughout the country.

This Deputy General Directorate of Port Captains in my charge, following up on the recommendations issued in the aforementioned AGREEMENT; and based on the provisions of articles 37 and 49 section IV of the Maritime Shipping and Commerce Law, it is instructed to carry out the following action:

1. From the date and until further notice, you must deny the dispatches and departures to the boats dedicated to the provision of nautical tourism services, with minor Mexican and foreign recreational and sports boats; as well as those national and foreign vessels for private use, the above in order to prevent the spread of the SARS-CoV2 virus (COVID-19),
In the case of the Islands (Holbox, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel) only the route and cargo vessels will remain in operation."

EDITED TO ADD:
This is an order from the Navy - not the port captain and it's for the entire COUNTRY. That should say it all. I did not notice that the Navy order was addressed to ALL captains when I first read it. I edited it to reflect that. This is an order according to Maritime law from the Navy.

Todas las Capitanias de Puerto del Pais.

Bummer. But necessary since many people all over the country were not taking this seriously.
This is the link to the article. It's been confirmed. Feeling very sad tonight. But we'll get through this! #CozumelStrong!

LINK:
Suspenden tráfico marítimo en todo el país; Solo de carga y pasajeros los autorizados

Attachments

• WhatsApp-Image-2020-03-29-at-12.jpg
    WhatsApp-Image-2020-03-29-at-12.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 45
Starting today and until further notice, the port authorities throughout the country will deny dispatches and departures to vessels that offer nautical tourism services as well as smaller recreational and sports vessels.
Just for clarification, that means dive boats cannot go out...?!

ust for clarification, that means dive boats cannot go out...?!

Yes, that is correct. PORT IS CLOSED TO ALL BOAT TRAFFIC. With the EXCEPTION of route and cargo vessels. So the car ferry and people ferries are still in operation. This is state-wide mandate for Quintana Roo, not just Cozumel.
Obviously all the ferries (Trancaribe, Ultramar and WinJets) are running minimal trips now.

Yes, that is correct. PORT IS CLOSED TO ALL BOAT TRAFFIC. With the EXCEPTION of route and cargo vessels.

I was speculating on this in the "Port Closed" thread. The language in the notice specifically lists tourism, recreation, and sport boats. Is it your experience that this is interpreted as "all boat traffic"?

[Suggest moving discussion on this specific item to the "Port Closed" thread for continuity.]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom