Question Komodo in February? Scuba Junkies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Sunday

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just booked tickets to SEA for February 2025 and I am trying to decide between Scuba Junkies for a week or so, vs a mid-ranged southern Komodo liveaboard.

Wondering if Scuba Junkies Komodo is a good option for February being that it's land-based and the better diving is in the south during this time period?

I have done Komodo liveaboards in March and April but never as early as February. I'm concerned SJ could be too central to get to the better dive spots during the rainy season.

Considered a trip back to Raja Ampat but the added cost of travel and time are more than I want to do on this trip.

Has anyone been to Komodo in Feb? Better yet, Scuba Junkies in Feb? How was it?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I just reached out to Scuba Junkie about diving in 2026.

Re: Feb, they shared: In terms of the time to dive if you are looking for the best visibility in the South Dec - Feb are the best months to visit. Unfortunately, their land based resorts may not go to the iconic sites of the south given the journey time. That said, they are launching a new liveaboard (KLM Elyia) later this month which is a brand new boat and very affordable at $1,950 for shared room for 6 days / 5 nights.

If you want more info, send me a message and I can forward you info I have from my emails.

Re: Feb, they shared: In terms of the time to dive if you are looking for the best visibility in the South Dec - Feb are the best months to visit. Unfortunately, their land based resorts may not go to the iconic sites of the south given the journey time. That said, they are launching a new liveaboard (KLM Elyia) later this month which is a brand new boat and very affordable at $1,950 for shared room for 6 days / 5 nights.

If you want more info, send me a message and I can forward you info I have from my emails.
Thanks for the reply. Definitely would like more info. Will send a DM.

Cheers

$400 dollars a nite is "very affordable," oh I see you're from San Francisco Bay Area.

$400 dollars a nite is "very affordable," oh I see you're from San Francisco Bay Area.
Getting tired of your “contributions”. Not at all helpful!

We did Current Junkies just before covid, and it was terrible. From the guides to the boat. The cabins were the definition of stuffy and stank of fish (their boat Busy Girl used to be a small fishing boat from maybe the 1930s?). The guide was a horrible fish finder, plus super conservative and we just couldnt figure why an outfit named Current Junkies could possibly hire her.

We did Current Junkies just before covid, and it was terrible. From the guides to the boat. The cabins were the definition of stuffy and stank of fish (their boat Busy Girl used to be a small fishing boat from maybe the 1930s?). The guide was a horrible fish finder, plus super conservative and we just couldnt figure why an outfit named Current Junkies could possibly hire her.
We are discussing "Scuba Junkies" rather than "Current Junkies".

That said, I have been on the Busy Girl with Current Junkies and had the exact opposite experience as you describe. The boat was clean, professional, and anything but conservative. I absolutely loved Current Junkies/Busy Girl and would use them again if they were running in February.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom