Why you should use wool and avoid cotton like the plague

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't more manufacturers use wool for drysuit undergarment material? I have thought of experimenting with some wool under a DS but never found the right products.

I have a thin set of "Icebreakers" merino wool that I wear under my drysuit undergarment. I can't stand most wool ass too itchy, but it feels just like a thin cotton. Soft, smooth and no itching.

Why don't more manufacturers use wool for drysuit undergarment material? I have thought of experimenting with some wool under a DS but never found the right products.

as a raw material it is very expensive compared to synthetics, so more margin for them, and it's not "sexy" so it's harder to market it vs synthetics

I have a thin set of "Icebreakers" merino wool that I wear under my drysuit undergarment. I can't stand most wool ass too itchy, but it feels just like a thin cotton. Soft, smooth and no itching.

Yep, I use IceBreaker leggings and long sleeve shirt under my Weezle. Found IceBreakers about 15 years ago when trekking through Nepal. Most comfortable undergarments I've ever worn - they feel much more like soft cotton than wool.

as a raw material it is very expensive compared to synthetics, so more margin for them, and it's not "sexy" so it's harder to market it vs synthetics

When I used a neoprene DS, I used only wool undergarments, but not with my trilam suit. For the middle thermal layer, synthetics have other properties which complement wool. I love my wool underwear as a base layer, and I also layer with wool when it's really cold, but if I prefer Thinsulate in my undersuit. A wool undersuit thick enough to replace 200 gsm Thinsulate would be too heavy and dry too slowly.

+1 for the Icebreakers... I also feel itchy wearing wool but these do no seem to irritate my skin.

Most impressed with their odour-resistance: wearing Fourth Element Arctics withour the merino baselayer on a day's diving results in the Arctics going straight to the washing machine; add the merino baselayer and they are fresh the entire season...

+1 for Icebreaker - I cycle to work every day in the Austrian winter, and use Icebreaker longsleeves and leggins. They are pricey, but I am prone to itching from wool, but not at all with the merino wool from Icebreaker. Woolpower, Smartwool are also good.

Another fanboy.

All you need is a credit card, easy for me as ordering from Amazon. These fine people have shipped to me many times: Nordic Outdoor: Scandinavian Outdoor Lifestyle - Nordic Outdoor

Scroll all the way down to the bottom and ring them up with your questions. They do the VAT for you and all that other nonsense...

+1 for Aclima and wool... Had a completely flooded drysuit at 56m on the way up from a dive in the baltic sea... 4C at the bottom... and an hours deco to go... (Luckily the water was 16C at 6m)
I more or less always wear wool. And, it is very common in Norway. Merino/Silk is also a very good combo. In the winter, my wool laundry basket is always bigger than the rest of my clothing combined....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom