Why WOULDN'T you use backup gauges with an AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All jests aside, if I were to do a technical dive, you can bet that I'd have a lot more redundancy than my current recreational dives.

Plan your dives and dive your plans. Gear your dives and dive your gears. Sounds trite as heck, but let's be realistic about what we're setting out to do.

Why take a reel when you KNOW that you're not diving into a wreck or a cave? Why take a jon line when you're diving off a boat in a becalmed cove? Why take a 700Watt canister light when it's daylight? Why take a prybar/12" fixed blade & liftbag when you're not hunting for abalone and scallops?

Be sensible and gear yourself accordingly because you cannot plan for all contingencies.

You people talking about spendng an extra $1000 to get AI are just insane.

You can get a Suunto AI computer for $375.

AisleBuyAisle.com

The additional cost over a non-AI computer is practically nothing, relative to the overall costs of this hobby, including dive trips, etc.

The extra cost goes into the wireless transmitter. Air integrated computer consoles are getting cheaper though.

You people talking about spendng an extra $1000 to get AI are just insane.

You can get a Suunto AI computer for $375.

AisleBuyAisle.com

The additional cost over a non-AI computer is practically nothing, relative to the overall costs of this hobby, including dive trips, etc.

I bought my first Oceanic Atom 1.0 complete for $150 (I've seen plenty of consoles more expensive) then upgraded to an Atom 2.0 for an additional $150

My second Atom 1.0 cost me $250 w/ transmitter.

My total for computer, backup computer and spare transmitter $550

Having a redundant SPG is like having a big a$$ knife strapped to your calf. Now let's talk about snorkels, split fins and MOF.

No, let's keep it on topic.

the K

Having a redundant SPG is like having a big a$$ knife strapped to your calf. Now let's talk about snorkels, split fins and MOF.

That's hardly an accurate comparison.

Having a redundant piece of equipment (SPG) for a piece of equipment that is known to fail (AI TX/RX) is a sound practice in my mind.

Having a "big a$$" knife strapped to your calf instead of a line cutter and a set of shears is impractical and can be unsafe. You could get tangled on a guideline, old fishing line, etc. Most large knives won't cut through wire where shears may.

Getting back to the OP's original question, you wouldn't use a backup spg if you are willing to assume the risk of losing the ablility to read your tank pressure and can manage such a situation accordingly.

Also, if the diving you are conducting is such that you may make a direct ascent to the surface in case of lost pressure readout then you may choose not to have an SPG.

I guess bottom line is it is a choice you have to ultimately make. If you can rationalize that choice to yourself then don't use one.

The extra cost goes into the wireless transmitter. Air integrated computer consoles are getting cheaper though.
Since when do you have to have one? As I pointed out - you can get a complete AI solution for $375 or less. You need to spend $1000+ and all of the "AI means you need to spend a ton of money" posts are bunk.

Getting back to the OP's original question, you wouldn't use a backup spg if you are willing to assume the risk of losing the ablility to read your tank pressure and can manage such a situation accordingly.

Well said. That's an approach that I can respect. It's not the choice I would make, even in 30 ft of warm water, but it's thought through.

Making fun of backup gauges, say equating them to a big pig sticker, that's a terrible attitude that does not promote safe diving.

Since when do you have to have one? As I pointed out - you can get a complete AI solution for $375 or less. You need to spend $1000+ and all of the "AI means you need to spend a ton of money" posts are bunk.

You don't have anything. You don't even need an SPG. Old timers dove with the J-valves that when the tank runs empty, they hit the handlebar and the J-valve activates the reserve which is approximately 500-psi. Or they listen to the echo in their tanks (a trick that an old timer taught me).

But we weren't just talking about console air integrated dive computers. We were talking about HOSELESS air integrated dive computers as well.

And I don't understanding this "assuming the risk of air pressure" if I don't dive with a backup SPG. :confused:

Your dive computer screws up, you abort the dive and surface. End of story. What's the big concern? You're suppose to be diving NDL anyway. And if you were to do a safety stop and ran out of air, then surface. What's the big concern? Don't SPGs also fail? And what do you do when they fail? Do you do anything differently when an SPG fails versus a dive computer fails?

Learn how to dive instead of depending on a piece of equipment. My dive computers are a convenience to me and not a hindrance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom