Why WOULDN'T you use backup gauges with an AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an Aeris Epic, and like it very muchly!

I always carry a backup SPG, but not necessarily on the dive.

My AI computer has never failed. It has failed to get a couple of responses during a dive, but I noticed that upon reviewing the download, not during the dive.

My AI computer has proven reliable over the past 2 years+. One has to do highly technical things, like check the battery status now and again! :D

Since that I have multiple ports for the high pressure side of the first stage, I think that I will mount an additional hoseless AI computer to go with my original computer. That way I will have redundancy if the first AI computer goes out. But then electronics can fail, so I better use the third HP hole to mount a brass gauge. But then a brass pressure gauge can also fail, so I better use that fourth HP hole to mount a plastic pressure gauge.

And then I better need an extra depth gauge for just in case. I already dive with a watch, so I'm covered there. But I better carry The Wheel just in case both computers die during a dive and I have The Wheel so that I can keep on doing varied profiles dives without losing bottom times.

And then I better carry a pony bottle with a separate reg for just in case my primary bottle fails. But since that pony bottle & regs can fail too, I'd better carry a 3-cuft Spare Air. I also should carry a fixed blade dive knife (just in case sharks attack or fend off terrorist divers) to go with my shears and pocket knife.

On my belt I should be carrying a spare mask for just in case my main mask gets stolen by a harbor seal or get kicked off by a terrorist diver.

Damn, almost forgot. Gotta have a wrist compass to back up the electronic compass on the AI computer. And maybe one of those button compass mounted on a string tied to a D-ring just in case my wrist compass breaks because I accidentally knock it against a boulder because of a massive wave surge.

What else am I missing? Gotta plan for all contingencies.

Hell, I might as hell stay home. Scuba is just too dangerous.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

How about spare fins and wetsuit as well???

This is really getting out of hand you guys...
Everyone seems to be missing the point of why we are here
to color coordinate, fashion is key, what else could possibly matter, jk lol
i bought my ai because i wanted to eliminate guages, i have never had a prob
i have also added it to my tech rig, as a back up computer and to monitor my dive activity,
do what works for you, if you want to pay for ai and still back it up with guages, then do it,
whatever gets you through the night, is alright..(john lennon)

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

How about spare fins and wetsuit as well???

Well, I use duct tape to augment my spring traps and make sure that the fins won't come off unless I cut it off with either my shears, pocket knife or fixed blade knife. I wear a drysuit outside of my wetsuit for just in case the BC fails so that I can use the drysuit as secondary BC.

Recreational diving:

- Jump in the water, forgot to sycn my wireless = ####! Climb back out of the water and fix it.

- In the dive, computer s###s itself, = dive over. I think I can hold about 15 feet for a "little while" and then return to boat.

Professional diving (aka teaching) - then b/u computer and spg so you can complete your job

just my .02

Well, I use duct tape to augment my spring traps and make sure that the fins won't come off unless I cut it off with either my shears, pocket knife or fixed blade knife. I wear a drysuit outside of my wetsuit for just in case the BC fails so that I can use the drysuit as secondary BC.

:cheers:

My answer for the OT:
I dive with an AI wireless SPG without a backup SPG.

I chose not to add a backup SPG because it doesn't add a significant amount of redundancy or major reduction of risk for the recreational dives that I do.

AI wireless SPG w/o backup SPG:
Scenario 1: Wireless craps out, I lose pressure reading. Abort dive.
Scenario 2: Computer craps out, I lose pressure & depth readings. Abort dive.

AI wireless SPG w/ backup SPG:
Scenario 3: Wireless craps out, switch to backup SPG. Some people would continue the dive, however I would abort dive.
Scenario 4: Computer craps out, I lose depth readings, switch to backup SPG. Abort dive.
Scenario 5: Backup SPG craps out. Similar to Scenario 1 I would abort dive.
Scenario 6: Wireless & backup SPG craps out, I lose pressure readings. Abort dive.
Scenario 7: Computer & backup SPG craps out, I lose pressure & depth readings. Abort dive.

The impact is the same for scenario 2 & 7 and a diver must always be prepared to handle such a scenario - losing pressure and depth reading and having to rely on their buddy.
Redundancy isn't a crutch, a person needs to plan to lose all forms of redundancy.

The chance of scenario 2 happening over 7 is much higher, but the impact is the same, so the risk of scenario 2 is much higher and it's one I'm willing to accept. But because I would abort in scenario 3 the backup SPG doesn't really buy me much. A little reassurance of my current pressure.

Forgot to add . . .

I dive with a Citizen HyperAqualand so that not only do I have a redundant pressure gauge, I also have a redundant timing device and depth gauge.

So, if the pooter craps out, I revert to my DIVE PLAN based on either a square or multilevel DIVE PLAN and continue the dive.

the K

Forgot to add . . .

I dive with a Citizen HyperAqualand so that not only do I have a redundant pressure gauge, I also have a redundant timing device and depth gauge.

So, if the pooter craps out, I revert to my DIVE PLAN based on either a square or multilevel DIVE PLAN and continue the dive.

the K

Ditto here as well.

You people talking about spendng an extra $1000 to get AI are just insane.

You can get a Suunto AI computer for $375.

AisleBuyAisle.com

The additional cost over a non-AI computer is practically nothing, relative to the overall costs of this hobby, including dive trips, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom