Why WOULDN'T you use backup gauges with an AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know a lot of people who use wireless air integrated computers don't use any backup gauges. I'm not one of them, and I can't see changing my tune after something that I recently experienced.

A while back had occasion to gear up QUICKLY and get into the water in an emergency. The story isn't important to the point I want to make here so I won't go in to it. What is important is that I had a good reason to get into cold water as fast as possible, with minimal gear.

But I have a compact depth + pressure gauge console on my rig. It's always been there. I started without an air-integrated computer, and when I went wireless AI for convenience's sake, I left those instruments in place as a backup. And they earned their keep the other day.

A scenario where you are in such a hurry to get in is an edge case for sure. But I didn't have to worry about syncing up my computer and transmitter. My rig was immediately diveable thanks to the analog gauges that I chose to leave in place. If my computer ever craps out on a normal dive, again, no problem.

A compact depth/pressure console costs about $100, and it is completely out of the way if you clip it off right. Why wouldn't you have one?

OK, the HP hose is one more failure point on your rig. Removing it will remove the chance for that failure to occur, but I, at least, will happily assume that risk for having backup instruments.

Last edited:
A compact depth/pressure console costs about $100, and it is completely out of the way if you clip it off right. Why wouldn't you have one?

Hmm, sounds like you're making a case for

"An AI wireless computer costs $1000 or more, and has shortcomings. Why would you have one?"

:D

But seriously, I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy myself. I dive doubles with a Vytec DS transmitter on the right post and a brass and glass SPG on the left. Right wrist has a Vytec DS and left wrist has a Uwatec bottom timer.

Why WOULD you use an AI computer with gauges?

Because I have a backup AI computer. What do I need a backup depth console for?

I chose an AI computer because I like the convenience of all my data in one place on a nice big screen. In case the convenient toy fails, having a backup seems prudent.

You know, I hesitated even to start this thread. I knew it would just attract off-topic anti-AI comments.

The point I wanted to make was if you use AI, then I suggest having backups too, and here's what happened to me to make me believe that. If you don't use AI, please don't derail the thread. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use AI. I know a lot of people hate it. That isn't the topic.

I love my AI computers. I dive with two of them. Great convienence and calculates air consumption rate for me too. I still wouldnt dive without my analog SPG.

I know a lot of people who use air integrated computers don't use any backup gauges. I'm not one of them, and I can't see changing my tune after something that I recently experienced.

A while back had occasion to gear up QUICKLY and get into the water in an emergency. The story isn't important to the point I want to make here so I won't go in to it. What is important is that I had a good reason to get into cold water as fast as possible, with minimal gear.

But I have a compact depth + pressure gauge console on my rig. It's always been there. I started without an air-integrated computer, and when I went AI for convenience's sake, I left those instruments in place as a backup. And they earned their keep the other day.

A scenario where you are in such a hurry to get in is an edge case for sure. But I didn't have to worry about syncing up my computer and transmitter. My rig was immediately diveable thanks to the analog gauges that I chose to leave in place. If my computer ever craps out on a normal dive, again, no problem.

OK, the HP hose is one more failure point on your rig. Removing it will remove the chance for that failure to occur, but I, at least, will happily assume that risk for having backup instruments.

This would really only effect wireless computers. And it has been some time since I dove with my wireless (I switched to a hosed console one) but I don't recall having to sync it every time. I just made sure that the computer and the transmitter were facing each other when I turned it on.

As for the UW failure: What is the chance of an AI computer crapping out vs the chance of analog gauges crapping out? I've seen some failure stories on both pieces of equipment. If you didn't have an AI computer would you backup your analog gauges with another set of analog gauges?

I should have specified, I was using wireless AI. Wireless is a lot more likely to have problems. If I used an AI computer physically attached to my HP hose, I might not use backup gauges, as I'd expect it to be about as reliable as analog instruments.

That's an important point and I should edit my first post to add WIRELESS!

I use Oceanic wireless AI computers. The transmitter code is entered into the computer it may loose sync for a fews seconds here or there but total loss of signal has never happened mid dive. That is not to say that I don't believe it could. For this reason I dive with 2 computers. If 1 computer fails the second is a backup. If both were to loose sync in my save a dive kit I carry extra batteries for the transmitter and a spare transmitter.
I also like the convienience of the AI and like keeping extra gear on my rig to a minimum.
With the backup I keep at worst I'd need to surface for a quick transmitter replacement. Chances of both computers failing at the same time are slim a best. If I happen to find a dive environment that the transmitter will just not work in (I've heard reports of such) I keep a SPG in my reg bag and can still use the computers with it. I consider this a last resort and prefer to keep the extra hose and console off of my reg package.

I find that I do not even notice the console on my rig until I need it, but everyone is particular about their gear.

Extra transmitters also don't help you if you didn't have time to put your computer on. Admittedly again, that is a very unusual case.

Back
Top Bottom