Why WOULDN'T you use backup gauges with an AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but I, at least, will happily assume that risk for having backup instruments.

I'm a big fan of deciding what's right for me. Some like it, some don't - that's what makes the world go 'round!

I think your plan is a good one BTW.:wink:

I chose an AI computer because I like the convenience of all my data in one place on a nice big screen. In case the convenient toy fails, having a backup seems prudent.

You know, I hesitated even to start this thread. I knew it would just attract off-topic anti-AI comments.

The point I wanted to make was if you use AI, then I suggest having backups too, and here's what happened to me to make me believe that. If you don't use AI, please don't derail the thread. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use AI. I know a lot of people hate it. That isn't the topic.
I am not anti-AI; I use a (wireless) Suunto D9. But it seems like a good part of the justification for using it is to unencumber your rig--at least for me. So it is difficult to separate the arguments against using wireless AI from the arguments against using a brick-sized console. But it's your thread.

I have a back-up SPG clipped to my hip D-ring and a back-up computer strapped to my bc when it's not on my wrist, so in the extremely remote case (boat is sinking, gold Rolex fell overboard?) that I hurriedly don my gear and jump in, I am good to go, I guess; but that slight possibility does not enter into the logic of my gear choice at all. A more persuasive argument for a console, it seems to me, is to obviate the risk of simply forgetting your computer, even with a leisurely gear-up.

Last edited:
I am with the OP. I am a software developer and I know all too well that computers are not foolproof (not to say that analog gauges are not points of failure). I dive with a small gauge console clipped up tight and use a wireless AI computer. Each is a redundant system for the other.

A Gauge that is reading higher than actual pressure is far more dangerous than a computer that fails. It gives a false sense of security. Gauges by their nature are only accurate at a single point on their scale maybe 2 points. So to get to the OP's point is a gauge the best backup to an AI? Maybe it is adequate but part of the convienence of the AI computer is not having the extra hose and weight of a console. In comparison a AI computer such as a Suunto D9 or a Oceanic Atom 2.0 has very little weight and nothing to dangle. To claim a failure is the possibility to leave it behind on a dive is a bit much. You may as well say you jumped in without attaching your regs to the tank. These type of foul ups are supposed to be caught during your buddy check. IMHO a second computer is a better backup although it still may not be perfect.

Why is an analog gauge more likely to read wrong than a computer pressure gauge? Both work on the same mechanical principles. One just produces an electronic readout.

Also, if your gauge is dangling, it could be rigged better.

To claim a failure is the possibility to leave it behind on a dive is a bit much. You may as well say you jumped in without attaching your regs to the tank. These type of foul ups are supposed to be caught during your buddy check. IMHO a second computer is a better backup although it still may not be perfect.

In the incident I was referring to, there was no time to strap the computer on. It was NOT a normal dive, it was an emergency and I cut corners. But even disregarding that as a possibility, a broken or lost computer is possible, as is a transmitter battery that fails at depth or any number of other inconvenient scenarios.

Considering the negligible weight of analog gauges, I still do not see a good reason for not keeping them on your rig even if you have a wireless AI computer.

A more persuasive argument for a console, it seems to me, is to obviate the risk of simply forgetting your computer, even with a leisurely gear-up.

I agree that is the more common case, though it isn't the one that I encountered first.

And if my console was the size of a brick, I'd get a smaller one. :)

I chose an AI computer because I like the convenience of all my data in one place on a nice big screen. In case the convenient toy fails, having a backup seems prudent.

You know, I hesitated even to start this thread. I knew it would just attract off-topic anti-AI comments.

The point I wanted to make was if you use AI, then I suggest having backups too, and here's what happened to me to make me believe that. If you don't use AI, please don't derail the thread. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use AI. I know a lot of people hate it. That isn't the topic.
Matt, while my posts here are honestly meant to be funny and taken that way (the guys I posted "You're gonna die" are with me...) You shouldn't be hesitant about posting. And, if you'd really like the "funny" answer and then the real life answer, post that question here...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/278275-survival-kit-basic-divers-sb.html

Yours is one of those "contreversial" posts which could get new divers in trouble in other areas of the board... Plenty of laughs and the real life diver answers too....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom