Why WOULDN'T you use backup gauges with an AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Why wouldn't you have one?

I'm not a wireless computer kinda diver, to each their own. however if I got a free one or a REALLY good deal I would still probably only use it for single tank recreational diving and I would NOT back it up with a pressure gauge.

I would carry another depth device, ie bottom timer, just like I do now but I wouldn't bother with the gauge. If I lost signal to the transmitter I would call the dive, simple.

If all I am doing is recreational diving with a single tank then this is an acceptable practice IMO plus add in the fact I use an aluminum 19 or aluminum 40 as a pony on all my dives anyway.

like I said to each their own.

If I'm diving locally, well, who gives a damn! I rarely go below 50', and could easily dive my equipment blind with just a timer. The water temp tells me if I go too deep, or we are diving spots where 35'~40' is about as deep as one goes.
Even if I am diving locally, I give a damn :)

The most local spot I have entails about an hour drive one way. That doesn't include the overhead of packing up and getting there, or unpacking once I get home, or two trips to the dive shop to get tanks and drop them off - so let's say that total travel alone is 4 hours all said and done (not including any time spent at the actual dive site). On top of that - two rental tanks plus gas money plus toll, parking and incidentals gives me about $70 in expenses.

So, suppose 10 minutes into the first dive and my only (AI) computer, or SPG for that matter, fails. There is no backup of any kind. Just go home? Waste my 4+ hours and $70, my buddy's 4+ hours and $70 (actually, a lot more, since he has to rent all his gear) and call it a day? That's just lame.

What if it were a 2-day, 2-tank (4 planned dives) overnight camping trip to a spot a little further up the road (maybe 3 hours one way)? What if the local dive involved the 2-day, 2-tank plan, but with an expensive 1-hour water taxi ride out to an island with overnight cabin rental?

Yes, gear failures happen, even on recreational local dives. That doesn't mean you can't plan for it, have some redundancy, and, hopefully, avoid wasting everyone's time and money to boot. In my mind, having a spare gauge set (of some kind) and regulator set available (even on local rec dives) is not any more unreasonable than having a spark mask strap, fin strap, o-ring collection, or whatever else. Required? No. Useful? You betcha.

Well, let's see....seems to me you're pretty dependent on all kinds of gear - beginning with a tank and regulator set. Don't see too many people diving without fins either. Silly bastards should just learn how to kick!

But of course - the AI users just need to learn how to dive. Naturally.

I don't need a tank to dive. I could also go with the old dragging the hose from the top like the hard hat divers did back in the days. Same thing with fins. Wear heavy boots and walk underwater.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

But of course - the AI users are not the only ones that need to learn how to dive. The SPG users should as well. It's a wonderful thing to use the human brain that comes with one's head as the primary dive equipment.

Actually I switch back to time and depth and US Navy NDL for the deepest point in my dive, why thumb it?

Then there's that option.

I dive with a backup computer. If my primary computer dies, I don't abort anything, I switch to my backup computer, and my SPG assuming I have one. I generally have redundant pressure, and computers.

Posters can poo-poo backup equipment all they want. I have this equipment, and don't want to abort a dive due to what I consider minor equipment failure. I paid $55 for the SPG, and my Aeries Atmos II was my primary at one point. Now I have a backup SPG, and a backup computer, and for what I pay to dive, IMO these *minor* expenses are well worth it.

If I'm diving locally, well, who gives a damn! I rarely go below 50', and could easily dive my equipment blind with just a timer. The water temp tells me if I go too deep, or we are diving spots where 35'~40' is about as deep as one goes.

There's also this option.

But the main point is that there's no law that says you have to dive with a backup SPG hooked up to your regulator if you have an AI or a hoseless AI dive computer. And you're not going to "die" if your AI computer; hosed or hoseless, were to conk out on you.

There are two options listed above plus the one that many and myself suggested: abort your dive.

If a person wants three or four hoses hanging out of the first stage, then by all means, knock yourselves out. I prefer two: 2nd stage, and the one that goes to my BC inflator/inline octo, with my hoseless dive computer, wristwatch and compass on my forearms. If my computer were to die on me, I'll abort my dive and go back to the boat/beach and reach in my gear bag for my spare dive computer.

BTW, this thread had been primarily about recreational diving. If we're talking about deco diving/tech diving then that's another different story.

I don't need a tank to dive. I could also go with the old dragging the hose from the top like the hard hat divers did back in the days. Same thing with fins. Wear heavy boots and walk underwater.
OK, so now you're dependent on that hose, whatever it is connected to, the heavy boots, etc. etc.

LOL, wow...this thread needs an enema...

OK, so now you're dependent on that hose, whatever it is connected to, the heavy boots, etc. etc.

Only in that circumstance, hence my statement that equipment doesn't govern my dive. If I don't have one piece of equipment, there's probably another piece that I can use. If I don't have a dive computer, then I'd use SPG, bottom timer and dive tables. If I don't have bottom timer, SPG and dive tables, then I'll use computer.

Or I can go freediving style with a small Spare Air to extend underwater time.

I don't have to depend on ONE particular set of gears to dive.

I didn't read the entire thread. If you need back ups for your AI stuff, maybe you should ditch the AI crap.

Just a thought.

I know a lot of people who use wireless air integrated computers don't use any backup gauges. I'm not one of them, and I can't see changing my tune after something that I recently experienced.

A while back had occasion to gear up QUICKLY and get into the water in an emergency. The story isn't important to the point I want to make here so I won't go in to it. What is important is that I had a good reason to get into cold water as fast as possible, with minimal gear.

But I have a compact depth + pressure gauge console on my rig. It's always been there. I started without an air-integrated computer, and when I went wireless AI for convenience's sake, I left those instruments in place as a backup. And they earned their keep the other day.

A scenario where you are in such a hurry to get in is an edge case for sure. But I didn't have to worry about syncing up my computer and transmitter. My rig was immediately diveable thanks to the analog gauges that I chose to leave in place. If my computer ever craps out on a normal dive, again, no problem.

A compact depth/pressure console costs about $100, and it is completely out of the way if you clip it off right. Why wouldn't you have one?

OK, the HP hose is one more failure point on your rig. Removing it will remove the chance for that failure to occur, but I, at least, will happily assume that risk for having backup instruments.

I didn't read the entire thread. If you need back ups for your AI stuff, maybe you should ditch the AI crap.
You could say that for any piece of gear. Hey - need an octo? Maybe you (and/or your buddy) should get a more reliable primary. Want a backup cutting tool? Maybe you should get a better primary one. Backup mask? Screw that! Get a better mask. Spare tire??? What for? Go get yourself a real set of meats. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If I don't have one piece of equipment, there's probably another piece that I can use. If I don't have a dive computer, then I'd use SPG, bottom timer and dive tables. If I don't have bottom timer, SPG and dive tables, then I'll use computer.
And if an AI computer user doesn't have an AI computer, then they can use something else too.

I don't have to depend on ONE particular set of gears to dive.
Neither, necessarily, does an AI computer user.

well not really.

He's concerned right away about the reliability of the damn thing, so why now use something different, something more reliable?

Some things we need two of obviously.

Really, it ain't that big of a deal. If the AI crap quits, dive over. Anyone should be able to safely get to the surface without gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom